WWYD? vaginal breech? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 03-13-2007, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
I talked to my mother about this today- she told me that a section is best for the baby if it stays breech. She also made a lot of noise about it being selfish to not be ok with that.
Jeez that makes me mad. hugs.

ask her when the last time was she met somebody who grew up without a mother, and if they would trade a life with their mother for a minor birth injury they wouldn't remember anyway.

Drives me crazy when people say we're selfish to want to avoid a c/s. I didn't want ds to have to go through not only a sibling adjustment but a mama who suddenly couldn't pick him up. People kept saying, oh, he'll adjust, they learn so fast... My point being WHY SHOULD HE HAVE TO?????

I feel strongly that there's no reason that my children and my husband should assume the risk of losing their mother and partner so that their new sibiling avoids the risk of a completely heal-able injury. That's crap. In my book, you have to weigh the risks for the family as a whole, not for one baby at a time.

Hugs hon. Especially when it's your mum - that really sucks that she's giving you that.
#92 of 110 Old 03-13-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinna View Post
Jeez that makes me mad. hugs.

ask her when the last time was she met somebody who grew up without a mother, and if they would trade a life with their mother for a minor birth injury they wouldn't remember anyway.

Drives me crazy when people say we're selfish to want to avoid a c/s. I didn't want ds to have to go through not only a sibling adjustment but a mama who suddenly couldn't pick him up. People kept saying, oh, he'll adjust, they learn so fast... My point being WHY SHOULD HE HAVE TO?????

I feel strongly that there's no reason that my children and my husband should assume the risk of losing their mother and partner so that their new sibiling avoids the risk of a completely heal-able injury. That's crap. In my book, you have to weigh the risks for the family as a whole, not for one baby at a time.

Hugs hon. Especially when it's your mum - that really sucks that she's giving you that.
It sounds as if you are suggesting that the *only* potential problem with a vaginal breech delivery is a 'completely heal-able injury', and that is simply NOT the case. Surely you are aware of this fact?
#93 of 110 Old 03-13-2007, 07:59 PM

I had the same thing from my parents for a while too - they even had my grandmother (who had two of her kids born vaginal breech, but was in twilight sleep or something and didn't remember it) writing me emails about how worried she was that I wouldn't be in a hospital. But my parents came around after I showed them all the information that supported my choice. Not after I got pretty stressed out by what they said, and they were still a bit worried too, but they at least admitted that I'd done my research.

You aren't being selfish at all! I think it's important to make the best choice, not the most popular one. It's hard, though. Good luck!

hapersmion
#94 of 110 Old 03-13-2007, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

I don't even know where to go to process this now. My mom is usually good for listening and hearing me out, even when she doesn't agree.
I'm not really comfortable with ANY of my current options, and I don't know where to go.
DH is worried and scared enough as is. I don't have many friends here (we're a seminary family and moving soon).
I just feel alone and scared and angry... : :

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#95 of 110 Old 03-13-2007, 09:53 PM

Oh, I am so sorry.
I have been there, it is so difficult .
If you want to talk through your options I'd be happy to..here or PM or whatever.
#96 of 110 Old 03-13-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom View Post
It sounds as if you are suggesting that the *only* potential problem with a vaginal breech delivery is a 'completely heal-able injury', and that is simply NOT the case. Surely you are aware of this fact?
Not Robinna but of course there are more dire risks in any birth - however - I believe the argument is that it was only the inclusion of such injuries under "mortality and serious morbidity" that produced a statistically significant advantage for cesarean over vaginal breech in terms of baby outcome.
#97 of 110 Old 03-14-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccohenou View Post
Not Robinna but of course there are more dire risks in any birth - however - I believe the argument is that it was only the inclusion of such injuries under "mortality and serious morbidity" that produced a statistically significant advantage for cesarean over vaginal breech in terms of baby outcome.
Hmm, well, I personally consider a permanent brachial plexus injury something to be taken seriously. And it's absolutely NOT an injury that ALWAYS heals itself. I can attest to that with 100% certainty as I treated several as an Occupational Therapist.
#98 of 110 Old 03-16-2007, 08:41 PM

For those of us not versed in the big words, the brachial plexus is a nerve group running from the spine through to the arm sort of below the collar bone. It can get wrenched and damaged in a difficult breech (or any other) birth, either vaginal or c/s.

The two-year follow up to the Term Breech Trial show that at the 2 year mark the vaginal breech babes were actually in slightly (ie statistically insignificantly) BETTER condition and overall health than the c/s babes. So any injuries that were recorded at birth were certainly healed as defined by this large and conservative trial, and the rates of permanent injury were also virtually identical between groups.

If anybody would like to read any of the research I can send you links, or go see the articles section on my website. The 2-year followup has been published but isn't posted on the site yet, but I have it saved on my 'puter if you'd like to see it before we do the site update.
#99 of 110 Old 03-16-2007, 09:19 PM

I'd UC for surem but then I already am a UC'er. I don't consider breech to be a complication so it wouldn't change my plans at all.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#100 of 110 Old 03-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Ok, I don't know if this is going to bring you any comfort at all, but I'll go for it anyway.

In 1979 my mother birthed my frank breech brother vaginally. That's butt-first for anyone who may not know. She did tear alot, I'll tell you that.

If it can be done in 1979, there is no reason it can't be done now.

Trust yourself, trust your baby. Keep trying for the baby to flip, but know that you'll be ok if he doesn't.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#101 of 110 Old 03-17-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Baby is still breech. I have had a chiropractor suggested to me who has helped a few of my friends' babies.
I'm really trying to be positive here!

#102 of 110 Old 03-21-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Baby is still breech. I have had a chiropractor suggested to me who has helped a few of my friends' babies.
I'm really trying to be positive here!
How are you doing?

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#103 of 110 Old 03-22-2007, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Still breech. : Thanks for the thoughts, I really need them.

#104 of 110 Old 03-22-2007, 11:01 PM

Get to that chiro now and I am thinking and have been thinking of you!!!
Hugs mama!
#105 of 110 Old 03-22-2007, 11:18 PM

Thinking of you & sending lots of hugs & support.
xo Robin
#106 of 110 Old 03-27-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Baby is vertex- now I just need it to stay!
Thanks mommas!

#107 of 110 Old 03-27-2007, 09:44 PM

awesome! did the chiro work?
#108 of 110 Old 03-28-2007, 10:54 AM

Woo hoo! Fingers crossed!

hapersmion
#109 of 110 Old 03-28-2007, 11:33 AM

Yay for the vertex! Was it the chiro that worked? My babe is sitting breech at 29 weeks and I am trying to prepare for what I'll need to do if he/she doesn't turn.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#110 of 110 Old 03-28-2007, 11:50 AM

That's fantastic! Stay there, baby!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page