preventing postpartum hemmoraging... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2007, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had pretty bad hemmoraging after having ds and now that we are expecting again, that's freaking me out. I was so weak and out of it those first few weeks I want to do whatever I can this time around to avoid it.

Any advice/suggestions? Should I be taking some sort of supplement? Are there things I can do during labor?

TIA!

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 AM

I would make sure the placenta isn't pulled on, that's a prime suspect for hemorrhage.

I would drink lots of red raspberry leaf tea during the last trimester to help tone the uterus.

I would keep shepherd's purse and blue cohosh on hand (either in tincture form or in an infusion made when labor starts) to help stem a hemorrhage.

I would be sure your iron intake is high (my personal belief that plant forms are superior, so eat those dark leafy greens, beets and other natural sources of iron!). Low iron can be a risk for hemorrhage itself, as well as being the result of one. For a supplement I personally would use Floradix Floravital Iron supplement (the regular floradix contains angelica root-taboo when pregnant).
Old 03-07-2007, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I second the iron intake increase. Take vitamin C with it to keep from getting constipated and to increase your iron absorption. A good iron supplement like Floradix has vitamin C in it already.

If you do bleed, the extra hemoglobin will keep you healthy. Drink lots of fluids.

Take Alfalfa tablets that have vitamin K in them.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 AM

I second floradix and alfalfa.

I would also recomend being open to eating a piece of your placenta after it's born. This slows PPH and lessens post partum bleeding in general. (if you go for a bigger portion it's also a decent source of very bioavailable iron)

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 PM

Hands off forcing the placenta out!!!

http://MotheringByNatureCenter.comsaynovax.gifnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpggoorganic.jpgwinner.jpg

Old 03-07-2007, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas!
I started taking Floravital after ds, and am still taking it. So I will most certainly keep up on that.

Thinking back to the birth, I am convinved the MW pulled on the cord. Some of my IRL friends say maybe she was just checking and it happened to be already to come out, but I feel otherwise. We are most likely using a different MW this time around and I will make sure to stress this one point with her. If I have to walk out of the tub holding onto the cord, then so be it - LOL

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 03-08-2007, 01:19 AM

Yes-I'm looking for other women who have been in similar situations as I have been in...I had PPH with my second child at home last year and it was really bad that I had to be hospitalized and have an emergency D and C (needed to have 3 units of blood transfusion and to clean out retained placenta) The MW had pulled the placenta, which led to this mess.

My husband and I would still like to have a third child in the future, but I am nervous that I would have PPH again...as I didn't have with my first child...just with the second one. Is it possible to avoid having another PPH? What were your closure with this situation? It was terrible to be out of it and being so weak during the babymoon. I'd appreciate any similar stories
Old 03-11-2007, 02:24 PM

Hey I'm glad I found this thread! I had one as well, I think it was because ds literally shot out before my husband was prepared and was lying on the floor with his leg tangled in the cord, pulling on it. The midwives were in the living room where I requested they wait.. I am really really hoping to not bleed so much with this one because the weakness afterward lasted soooo long and I was so out of it. Now I will had a newborn and a 16 month old to look after and need to be strong I'll be taking vitamin K to help but not really much else. Eating my rare red meat.

User Tag List