Was childbirth the worst pain you've ever experienced? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My own labors have never gotten as bad as the pain I felt from a tooth infection.I was writhing on the floor whining so bad my cats got worried.I was also in a car accident and 9 months later a motorcycle accident and was in agony for the next year.(I never knew the neck was that involved in walking).I have had one horribly bad menstrual cycle and felt like taking a knife to my insides at the time.None of my labors were as bad as any of those pains partly because I always felt that there had to be an end the baby was going to come out of me somehow and I was lucky enough to be able to move and moan at will.
All three labors were pain med free and my second was an induction by Pitocin.I was more freaked out by being hooked up to one more thing than the pain of the contractions.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 08:18 AM

I've haven't given birth yet but I'd say the worst pain I've felt was my 4 impacted wisdom teeth being pulled while I was fully awake. The dentist had to break my left jaw to get one out. Ow! I think dentists are sadists.

You ladies are all very inspiring. I am planning on an unmedicated unassisted homebirth and I really feel like I can do it! Thank you!
#123 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 08:31 AM

I think the pain of childbirth is so much different depending on your state of mind and your environment and how energized you are. I had my DD at home and was able to move around and stay calm and not be poked and prodded and it was so manageable that I remember asking my husband minutes after the birth if we could have another baby.
#124 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
I remember asking my husband minutes after the birth if we could have another baby.
Aw, that is so sweet. I can imagine me asking my husband...he'd look at me like I was nuts. Haha.
#125 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 10:51 AM

For me, there was no pain. I'm not sure if it was the hypnosis (although I was not in a hypnotic trance,) back labor, or that I'm a chronic pain sufferer. Conveniently, now I have a frame of reference for others, when I explain my chronic pain. Either way, I never felt a contraction, just an intensity.
#126 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 AM

You know, I love this thread, because I think that what is most important for new mothers to know is not that labor is painless and a walk in the park (although it is for some) or that labor is a nightmarish experience that is the worst pain you will ever feel (although it is for some), but that it is truly different for everybody. I don't think women do other women any favors by sugarcoating the pain of labor, or by painting it to be worse than it is, you know what I mean? If you are in the worst pain of your life... well, maybe that's what childbirth is for you. If it just feels like strong cramps and nothing worse... then that's what childbirth is for you.

I wish I had known that going into my first birth, because I had very strong back labor and thought that something must be wrong because surely labor wasn't supposed to hurt this much! (Although my wisdom tooth extraction was still totally worse.)

Just some ponderings on a rainy Wednesday morning.
#127 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 01:30 PM

Hurting my knee the summer before my daughter was born was the worst pain I have ever felt.

Labor pain was different. As long as I was in laborland I was okay. When I came out of laborland to answer a question then labor hurt a lot more.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#128 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 01:37 PM

Yes. I was induced with pitocin but went pain-med free.
The worst pain of my life hands down.
Before that I thought the worst pain of my life was nerve damage done to my hip from being thrown by a bitchy mare : . I blacked out from the pain from the fall.
Childbirth was the worst pain of my life and I cannot wait to do it again !!!!

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#129 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 02:24 PM

I totally think that the crazy thing is that even though the pain was bad, I can't wait to do it again!

I read some of the responses on this thread to my dh--he asked over and over again, "are they kidding?" I think my pain made an impression on him as well. Poor guy.

I do think that our state of mind has a lot to do with how we labor. I was completely blown away by the intensity of my labor. I became one of "those" women that was loud and screaming and out of control, unable to get it back. I had attended lots and lots of births (was a L&D nurse, then a CNM), with lots and lots of variables, but I think I responded to my labor in the top 1% of how to react poorly and have a bad experience.
#130 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 02:46 PM

I think that the important thing is finding a way to ground yourself. Like the PP said, if you let it "get away from you" its a lot harder to manage.

I definitely wont say that labor was a walk in the park. I was up for 2 days and had trouble sleeping the night before that because I couldn't sleep w/ the labor pains. That it came on so gradually though really helped me keep it in check. I "lost it" during what might have been transition, not because of the pain, but because having never felt birth before, the wierdness of feeling my hips shifting to allow the baby to move down was the wierdest and most unexpected feeling imaginable. We were doing ours as a UC and with nobody there to tell me that was how I was supposed to feel, I got really scared for a brief time. That fear made me loose control (not control persay but being able to "ride the contractions" and stay focused).
#131 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Not even close. The worst pain I have ever been in was a toothach. I would gladly give birth over and over again to never have to deal with toothach pain again.
Oh, yeah - when I had an abscessed tooth that the doctor misdiagnosed as tension in my jaw...that was bad. I followed instructions, and kept a warm pad against my jaw all evening. I guess that warmth gave the bacteria a beautiful environment in which to thrive because the pain exploded afterwards. The root canal a few days later was a picnic by comparison.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#132 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 05:47 PM

It was manageable, and I'm ready to do it again, but it was absolutely the worst pain I've ever been in. But I wouldn't really define it as painful, so much as intense. And yes, you do get breaks, which help.

overwhelmed, BF, co-sleeping, whole foods eating, near-vegetarian SAHM to DS (5/04), DD (3/07) and DS (10/09)
#133 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 PM

First time baby was malpositioned and I was in transition labor for 12 hours - yes, it was the worst pain of my life. But the flip side, the second time I used hypnobabies and it was very nearly pain free (even with pitocin)!
#134 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Yep, pretty much.
#135 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 06:13 PM

I think we need a word better than "pain." It also includes this overtaking of your body, beyond your physical control, to the point that you start to realize your own mortality! I've had this point in every labor where I think I might die. Intense is a word that comes to mind, but it's not the right word either.

The contractions aren't the hard part for me, it's the actual birth.

I like to give birth on my knees on the floor, with my upper body resting on the bed. I remember my arms and legs trembling uncontrollably as the baby's head crowns. Oh, and that "ring of fire" feeling. Your body is taken over at that time, no matter where your head is. There is no turning back! And each time, the thought of my death crossed my mind. I wasn't really afraid, just overcome by the intensity. I probably felt more "pain" with an absessed tooth, but without the (insert word I'm looking for -- intensity + power).

And, on top of all that, I always looked forward to the act of giving birth! Go figure!
#136 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthjunkie27 View Post
:

I'd say, yes, labor was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I haven't broken any bones, but I have slammed my finger in a car door, and been stitched up "down there" after tearing slightly with a birth with no local anesthetic (nothing like feeling the metal hook going in and out of your girl parts right after giving birth while trying to hold your newborn and trying not to squeeze her too hard from the blinding pain of being stitched), and I've had killer menstrual cramps.

My labors START out like killer menstrual cramps and progressively get more and more painful (even through relaxation and having an amazing support system and being at home).

I think some women must have easier births than others (obviously) because I am in awe that some describe theirs as not painful.

That said, I'd give birth over and over again, just for the sheer magicalness (like that word? ) of it and the sweet newborn baby at the end.

haha Bethany I was getting ready to quote you- minus the stitches part...and just realized it was YOU!!

Crunchy, Christ-lovin' mama to dd13, ds8, dd6, dd5, ds3  homeschool.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.gifuc.jpg

#137 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 06:29 PM

Yes, it was absolutely the worst thing I have ever felt. It was pure torture.
#138 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first labor wasn't so bad - there was pain involved, but the words I'd use to describe it are more like grueling, difficult and exhausting rather than painful. It was a longish labor at 33 hrs, but pain meds never crossed my mind. I thought during transition I was near the limits on what I could confidantly handle, but definately manageable.
My second labor was another story - I said at the time I was learning brand new definitions for the word "pain," so yes, I guess probably the worst, lol. Baby was posterior, labor was tougher from the get-go and giving me a way premature urge to bear down while I was at 8, cervix still posterior. So the midwife manually moved the cervix into an anterior position - first new pain definition I got, lol. Then my cervix became badly swollen from the uncontrollable bearing down, so I was about standing on my head trying to prevent to bearing down to see if we could bring the cervix back down. Second new definition for pain - trying desperately not to bear down when that's what your body is doing I find impossible to relax and do, and the whole thing agonizing. Add to that the horrible pain in my sacrum as I swore it was going to fly off when I could feel it lift during contractions and the pain never actually fading between. In the hospital after an epidural - epidural totally wore off after it slipped out of the correct spot - then I had the bearing-down, sacrum rearranging contractions at a high level of pitocin while stuck in a bed. Think I probably left teeth marks in the bed rail, but that part of labor is very much a wicked blur for me, heh When I got to the pushing, epidural was entirely worn off again, but laboring felt fine again then, and I was able to get up besides. It funny how even for one person pain in labor can be so different.
#139 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Makes 4 View Post
10 was the afterpains while nursing for the first few days. Awful, cramping blinding pain.
Thank you for saying that! No one believed that my afterpains were worse than labor. I'm not sure if the pain was actually more intense, or if it was just the fact that the afterpains were so unbearably long. The peaks would last for like three or four minutes!
#140 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 06:51 PM

No. Having my knee drained ( 3 times with a giant needle) was worse.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#141 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 06:55 PM

Oh, I will say my first labor was back labor with no breaks.

My second labor was classic, text book labor. I got breaks in between contractions!

I did yell during both labors towards the end...but I SCREAMED at the doctor when I had my knee drained.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#142 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 08:44 PM

no, the worst pain i ever had was sneezing for the first couple days after giving birth. OUCH!

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#143 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 08:56 PM

Back labor was bad but the mw was ready w/saline injections in case it happened again.

And,um, no....currently have sinusitis and that beats labor hands down....:
#144 of 225 Old 03-14-2007, 09:00 PM

Labor was THE ABSOLUTE WORST PAIN I EVER EXPERIENCED. But I had Pitocin.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#145 of 225 Old 03-15-2007, 03:18 AM

Heck no. Dental pain is much worse. Having meningitis was my worst ever pain. Closely followed by ripping a toenail off.

On a scale of 1-10, ten being the worst imaginable pain, labour is about a 4. Birthing the head is about a 6.
#146 of 225 Old 03-15-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
On a scale of 1-10, ten being the worst imaginable pain, labour is about a 4. Birthing the head is about a 6.
This makes me chuckle. Not at you, but at how subjective pain ratings are. I used to work in health care and we always had to use that 1-10 pain scale thing to assess patients. Anybody, if they said anything hurt at all, had to have a number. You'd have some young college girl come in for a hangnail and she would tell you her pain was a "10". All the while she's sitting there looking comfy and smiling and chit-chatting with her friend. And then you'd get a farmer in the middle of having a heart attack and he'd be sweating and panting and grimacing and looking like he might die at any second. But if you asked him to rate his pain, he'd say (between groans and gasps) oh about a "6". Ime with healthcare, hardly anybody ever rated their pain less than a "7". Didn't matter how insignificant the problem was. I had to wonder if they'd ever experienced real pain??? : Methinks if you came in w/ a heart attack you might be one of those farmers.
#147 of 225 Old 03-15-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irma Lisette View Post
Was (natural) childbirth the worst pain you've ever experienced?
Yes

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#148 of 225 Old 03-15-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post
Labor was THE ABSOLUTE WORST PAIN I EVER EXPERIENCED. But I had Pitocin.

:
#149 of 225 Old 03-15-2007, 11:05 AM

It most definitely was not the worst pain. I wouldn't even put childbirth in the top 5 ... even top 10. In fact, it never was the "pain" that got to me, it was the exhaustion and dehydration from a very prolonged early labor.

Even when DD was crowing I said in a very normal, non-agitated voice, "okay, so that's why they call that the ring of fire". Much worse is say, breaking a pinky toe when you kick it on the sofa leg as you walk briskly through the living room! Or a migraine headache.
#150 of 225 Old 03-15-2007, 11:35 AM

I had gallstones with my first pregnancy and they were extremely painful but i still say that pushing out the head of your baby is worse, but not by much. Definitely worth it but still more painful. My second pregnancy was worse. I'd had my membranes broken at 3cm. and 12hrs later i was still 3cm and it felt like i should have been at least 6-7 cms. once i actually hit 7 cms, the contractions were back to back. no breaks. that's painful

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page