Was childbirth the worst pain you've ever experienced? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2007, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It wasn't the contractions that sucked, it was the midwife helping "stretch" my cervix. The worst pain ever! But I'm glad she did it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 03:07 PM

I'm really sorry for those that felt it was the worst. I know it can be. So many little things can effect labor and pain for the better or worse. I hope it hasn't ruined your opinion of natural birth. Each time can be so different. Hugs to you all.

Mama to Hailey Rose '02 Pro- crunchy
Old 03-30-2007, 03:20 PM

I don't know about sorry -- I'm rather pleased that nothing that hurts MORE than that has happened to me yet!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

An ear infection is 10 times worse than childbirth, either vaginally or by c-section.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:34 PM

Well I just hate how most women think Childbirth is super painful, and then hear "horror stories" from other women. It makes it harder to overcome their fears or to be interested in Natural Childbirth. Much of it is our culture and additudes toward birth in this country.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
It wasn't the contractions that sucked, it was the midwife helping "stretch" my cervix. The worst pain ever! But I'm glad she did it!
It was the worst pain ever and you're glad she did it?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:18 PM

I don't tell "horror stories," not even about my own birth, but it was profoundly excruciating and I'd rather not ever experience it again. I'm hoping the next time is easier.

I'm honest about my experience with anyone who asks, and point out that it's unusual to have so much pain with an uninhibited NCB. I also always mention that despite how little I enjoyed it (I HATE HATE HATE childbirth), I wouldn't do anything differently the next time.

I just hope that next time, I can say "I loved my NCB!" or at least, "It really wasn't that bad."

Julia
dd 1 year old
Old 03-30-2007, 04:18 PM

Nope! For me the worst pain was when I was about 10 yrs. old I broke my foot in half along with 3 of my toes! THAT was the worst pain I have EVER felt! It was definitely a 10+. I would give birth again any day! : ) The only thing that comes close is dd1's birth I was induced with pitocin...but dd2's birth was in a birth center no drugs, no shower, no tub and it was a BREEZE!

I have forgotten about the pains of having my dd's births but I will never forget the pain of my foot being broken and then being set back in place because the dr. who supposed to do surgery and put pins in was in another surgery! HAHA!
Old 03-30-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana9+2 View Post
I don't tell "horror stories," not even about my own birth, but it was profoundly excruciating and I'd rather not ever experience it again. I'm hoping the next time is easier.

I'm honest about my experience with anyone who asks, and point out that it's unusual to have so much pain with an uninhibited NCB. I also always mention that despite how little I enjoyed it (I HATE HATE HATE childbirth), I wouldn't do anything differently the next time.

I just hope that next time, I can say "I loved my NCB!" or at least, "It really wasn't that bad."

Julia
dd 1 year old
I'm glad you make the distinction between it being unusual to be so bad I wish I could switch with you. I've often joked with DH that I would birth for people if I could, not surrogate, but just birth. I like it! But I'm a birth junkie anyway. Hopefully you can work through some of the healing before your next birth, since having a tough birth can sometimes be hard to ignore the next time around. Like "oh I know it going to be bad" and simply that making it worse.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:00 PM

Yes, it was the worst pain I had ever experienced...

...until I had a bout of gallstones. THAT was the worst by far!

Coming up a close second was my cracked nipples being latched on to. That was worse than labour and delivery as well.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:06 PM

No way. Definitely not the worst pain. 1st time hurt for sure but jaw surgery hurt much more. My cluster headaches hurt much more. AND I had back labor the first time

2nd time-- I had painless labor! PAYBACK!
Old 03-30-2007, 05:08 PM

I can't believe all the posts about this! I have to say that AT THE TIME I thought it was the worst, but I think all pain gets put into perspective at one time or another. I think the fact that my first two were hospital births and I knew the pain was OPTIONAL made it much worse then pain that is just not optional! That kind of pain anyone can cope with better, because you have to.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:10 PM

Definintely not for me, my cramps are worse with my periods. My MW did accupressure and that relieved so much of the pain. It was amazing!
Old 03-30-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth&Bunnies View Post
I'm glad you make the distinction between it being unusual to be so bad I wish I could switch with you. I've often joked with DH that I would birth for people if I could, not surrogate, but just birth. I like it! But I'm a birth junkie anyway. Hopefully you can work through some of the healing before your next birth, since having a tough birth can sometimes be hard to ignore the next time around. Like "oh I know it going to be bad" and simply that making it worse.
I've come a long way emotionally and physically since the birth, and I am healed and at peace with the experience. Hence why we're ready to TTC #2.

I realize there's always the potential that my first birth being so difficult/painful will make me apprehensive of a second birth and therefore, by default, negatively affect the subsequent birth. However, I think I have a good understanding of the experience at this point and I wouldn't shy away from doing it again - thought I'd very much prefer to avoid the kind of relentless agony I experienced for that 8 or so hours (the other 13 hours of labor was just peachy - painful but not unusually so).

If I had to do it the same again - exactly the same - or even worse - I'd just do it. It's just that I'd prefer it weren't quite so awful. It was comparable in some respects to the extreme period pain I used to experience, and I went through that many times.

Julia
dd 1 year old
Old 03-30-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana9+2 View Post
I've come a long way emotionally and physically since the birth, and I am healed and at peace with the experience. Hence why we're ready to TTC #2.

I realize there's always the potential that my first birth being so difficult/painful will make me apprehensive of a second birth and therefore, by default, negatively affect the subsequent birth. However, I think I have a good understanding of the experience at this point and I wouldn't shy away from doing it again - thought I'd very much prefer to avoid the kind of relentless agony I experienced for that 8 or so hours (the other 13 hours of labor was just peachy - painful but not unusually so).

If I had to do it the same again - exactly the same - or even worse - I'd just do it. It's just that I'd prefer it weren't quite so awful. It was comparable in some respects to the extreme period pain I used to experience, and I went through that many times.

Julia
dd 1 year old
Hugs and Love

Old 03-30-2007, 05:22 PM

I would say yes. However, I had pre-e and the contrx were coming one on top of another with no break. I also waited until I was 5 or 6 cm to make the half hour drive to the hospital in rush hour :

Reading the rest of this thread makes me wonder if I may change my mind as I have to have several cavities filled and my wisdom teeth out this month.

Also, the pain is worth it - not only for the babe at the end but the feeling of being a strong woman for doing it without meds. Also worth it to have an alert, happy baby right after birth. The nurses commented on how awake he was (the hospital I delivered at has an 80% epidural rate).

love.gif

Old 03-30-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I read some of the responses on this thread to my dh--he asked over and over again, "are they kidding?" I think my pain made an impression on him as well. Poor guy.
I think my pain made a big impression on my dp as well, my mom told me later that he was sitting in the hall crying. And he's not a cryer.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 PM

Yes and no. Was it painful? Yes, definitely but to me, the pain of the contrax and birthing the baby and all that good stuff was for a reason...I'm not sure if I can explain it but I'm sure you mamas can understand. I knew that the deeper and longer my pain was, the closer I was to having my baby. I welcomed the pain and fought very hard to let my body feel it. I knew that in the end I would be greatly rewarded for all of my pain.

Now, the absolute worst pain I've ever felt in my life was when I was about 19 wks pg for my 3rd. I had gone to the dentist and he had given me a filling and while he was drilling he nicked a nerve. I was in complete sheer agony, I seriously wanted to DIE 24 hrs a day for almost a complete week. I called every day begging the stupid dentist to please pull the tooth, I couldn't take it anymore, they kept telling me "it'll get better". I wasn't sleeping, wasn't eating, it was HELL. FINALLY I marched back to the office and demanded they pull the tooth or I'd sue. I was instantly relieved of all of the pain the minute the tooth was out. Evil, rotten man. :

Hands down, without a doubt, I would birth 100 babies before I'd ever go thru that tooth pain ever again.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Almost. The aftermath of having my impacted wisdom tooth extracted was actually worse. I was under general anesthesia for the actual extraction, but for the next two days I thought I was in hell, and that was WITH the Vicodin. Childbirth was not a walk in the park either, but I'd rather give birth forty more times than have to have a wisdom tooth extraction again.
I said that to a friend the other day. Having my wisdom teeth pulled was horrible! And the healing time was SO Much longer than the healing time after childbirth.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:58 PM

in some ways it was, but i knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel. transition and just before transition were the worst parts for me, but i think i suffered more when i had a bout of sciatica 9 months later. that pain was insane ~ at least in labour i was able to walk ~ and there was no end in sight. i truly believed i would need surgery (luckily i didn't but the recovery was long and painful, far more difficult to get through that childbirth)
Old 03-31-2007, 12:08 AM

Well when you say childbirth I am assuming that we are talking about a natural vaginal childbirth. I attempted that, I ever started to tare but cephalopelvic disproportion was the reason that I needed to have a c-section. Well I know that the healing from a c-section (without pain meds) is way worst than a vaginal birth (I am assuming if I tore than I image that I can base how bad it hurts to give birth). I think it is great that so many of the responses have said no.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:24 AM

most painful, nope. most intense, yup.

11/06 and 1/09 :
Old 03-31-2007, 03:08 AM

No, I don't think it really pain I was feeling. It was the most powerful and intense thing I've ever felt.

Getting my belly button pierced hurt worse. And mastitis hurt pretty bad too, although I've lived through it twice and am still nursing both kiddos

Mom to 2 little ladybugs, age 4 and 6, and wife to that guy that lives here. 
Old 03-31-2007, 03:28 PM

No. My gallbladder attacks were as bad or worse AND they lasted a lot longer AND there was no baby to look forward to.

My worst labor cx were less than 20 minutes total per labor- I'd say more like 5-10 max.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 03-31-2007, 03:36 PM

not at all. my (unwanted) episiotomy on the other hand was herrendous afterward. (I used to joke at the time it felt like road rash on the crotch ) ugh.

pancreatitis and gallbladder attacks at the same time were MUCH worse. then puking for 4 days nonstop after having a c/s (ouchie!)

oh and 3x5 inch blister I got on my leg one time from a motorcycle. that one was defintly more painful.

one time I also had what I suspect to be ecoli. it was 3 days of complete hell. labor was a picnic in comparison to the vice like cramps that caused.

my first child's labor was awful due to positioning. (lots of back labor, long irregular contractions and was left alone in a birth tub for 14 hours by my MW's :irk) my second (VBAC and planned UP/UC turned hospital transfer) was very very mild in comparison (good positioning, contractions where like 30-45 seconds apart maybe?). I kept waiting for it to get "worse" or rather more intense up until the very end. for some reason I had it in my head the ending and birth would be one looong and more intense contraction(s) while pushing my contractions felt the same though from beginning to end of my labor. they never got more painful or anything. I couldn't beleive it when my daughter was born. I was like "THAT WAS IT!?!?!" I did have lydocaine(sp?) for the episiotomy, so I missed out on the ring of fire I guess?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 04-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth&Bunnies View Post
Well I just hate how most women think Childbirth is super painful, and then hear "horror stories" from other women. It makes it harder to overcome their fears or to be interested in Natural Childbirth. Much of it is our culture and additudes toward birth in this country.
I just wanted to say that my natural childbirth with my 2nd was so much easier and less painful than my first birth which I had an epidural for... if only I knew then what I know now.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:57 PM

Not even close...

Cracking my tailbone and developing an abcress over it, and then having the infected abcess that hurt so bad I could barely breathe cut into with a scalpel with no anesthetic at all... yeah... that will always be my most painful physical thing I think.

Labour didn't even come close.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Old 04-01-2007, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My first two labors were at home and were long and excruciatingly painful because the babies were posterior.

My third was easy. I could have played cards the whole time. The fourth was easier also.

A lot, I feel, depends on "PPP": the size of the "passenger", the size of the "passage", how strong the "powers" or pushing are. The mother's mental and physical "P"reparation for labor are crucial to the ultimate outcome.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 04-05-2007, 05:07 PM

Interesting question.
I would not go as far as saying that labor pain "isn't that bad" However, I found the time I was stung by a stingray during my honeymoon in Thailand more painful...
:

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 AM

No way.

I have an inner debate over which was worse: my gallstones while 7 months pregnant, or the recovery from my ovarian surgery.

I tend to lean towards the surgery because I had the pain of being sliced open, recovering from general anesthesia (which makes me ill), the pain from the gas they used to inflate my stomach that had spread to my shoulders and back making movement impossibl, and all of the emotional aspects of surgery (especially surgery that could have rendered me infertile).

Gallstones are horrific. I usually explain it to people by saying I'd rather be in labor all day everyday than to suffer through another one.

User Tag List