Was childbirth the worst pain you've ever experienced? - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 225 Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My labor was the worst pain I've experienced--but I was induced and had back labor. I'm not a wimp, either; I've had kidney stones in the past and those are reputed to be worse than labor. But not in my experience.

I think if I had been allowed to go into labor on my own schedule it wouldn't have been so bad. Next time, unless there's danger to the baby, I'll hold firm on waiting.
#212 of 225 Old 04-06-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neth Naneth View Post
Well when you say childbirth I am assuming that we are talking about a natural vaginal childbirth. I attempted that, I ever started to tare but cephalopelvic disproportion was the reason that I needed to have a c-section. Well I know that the healing from a c-section (without pain meds) is way worst than a vaginal birth (I am assuming if I tore than I image that I can base how bad it hurts to give birth). I think it is great that so many of the responses have said no.
The recovery from my c-section was a walk in the park compared to labor. I just took a little ibuprofen, and I was good to go. Nothing like labor.
#213 of 225 Old 04-08-2007, 10:15 AM

Ditto everyone on the gall stones. I know I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but they were horrible. ANd the accompanying pancreatitis wasn't pleasant either. Both more painful than labour.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#214 of 225 Old 04-08-2007, 12:50 PM

*Induced* childbirth was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. With my second, I delivered naturally, and it didn't even COMPARE to the pain of my induction.
#215 of 225 Old 04-08-2007, 03:37 PM

I had back labor both times and up until the contractions settled into my back it wasn't that bad. once it all moved to my back it was absolutely ONE HUNDRED PERCENT teh worst pain I've ever felt in my life.

I felt the need for clarification. it wasn't that bad the worst part was that there was no *break* it just went on and on and on and on...I suffered for almost 2hrs with ds1 before opting for the epidural and almost an hour w/ds2.

i'm glad I got the epidural though b/cuz ds1 tore me inside all along the side of the vaginal wall and also through a muscle or something along that side adn then I had to have an episiotomy, with ds2 i'm ambivalent..i was at 6-7cm when I got it but I did tear with him. next time i'm hoping to be able to find a way that works to make it through the pain without meds.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#216 of 225 Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebsMama05 View Post
I had back labor both times and up until the contractions settled into my back it wasn't that bad. once it all moved to my back it was absolutely ONE HUNDRED PERCENT teh worst pain I've ever felt in my life.

I felt the need for clarification. it wasn't that bad the worst part was that there was no *break* it just went on and on and on and on...I suffered for almost 2hrs with ds1 before opting for the epidural and almost an hour w/ds2.

i'm glad I got the epidural though b/cuz ds1 tore me inside all along the side of the vaginal wall and also through a muscle or something along that side adn then I had to have an episiotomy, with ds2 i'm ambivalent..i was at 6-7cm when I got it but I did tear with him. next time i'm hoping to be able to find a way that works to make it through the pain without meds.
Try asking for the Saline water injections, they use a needle to put a little water under the skin in your lower back. It usually helps a lot with back labor and no side effects or bed confinement. That may take the edge off enough to labor without pain drugs.

Mama to Hailey Rose '02 Pro- crunchy
#217 of 225 Old 04-09-2007, 03:21 AM

Yes. Yes. Yes. I thought I was so prepared for it. And I just . . . wanted to die. It was so awful, I bit my poor DH at one point.
#218 of 225 Old 04-09-2007, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I thought I had already replied to this thread. Nope, not the worst pain ever. I have had extremely strong menstrual cramps in the past, which I feel were so much worse than the labor pains. The actual head being born was extremely intense, but now, 20 months later, I don't remember the pain one bit, aside from that it was intense.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#219 of 225 Old 04-09-2007, 08:51 PM

When I was in college I was helping my mom move furniture. Long story short, she lifted and I pulled and I managed to rip my toenail off the nail bed, and then get fragments of my big old wool sock stuck underneath when the nail went back down. I had to go to the ER and have them remove the wool fibers from my nail bed.

Worst. Pain. Ever.

I've done completely natural childbirth, I've done back labor, I've done gall stones and an infected gallbladder. All a walk in the park compared to toenails. Now I know why the inquisition used to use that as a way to torture people.
#220 of 225 Old 04-09-2007, 10:07 PM

Yes it was...unquestionably. But, knowing that it wouldn't last forever did provide some comfort.
#221 of 225 Old 04-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Not at all. Back labor was horrendous, but compared to some of the self inflicted wounds I have suffered over the years (horribly clumsy), it was nothing

BUT, I only pushed twice, DD was born to a room full of nurses and no doctor because she came so quickly (after 36 hours of labor she decided she was ready to get the heck out of there!).
#222 of 225 Old 04-09-2007, 11:09 PM

YES & NO.

1st time, Natural labor ---> NO.

2nd time, Induced labor ---> Yes, I THOUGHT was the worse pain ever until I got a botched epidural and ended up with staph-caused MENINGITIS. Spent a week in ICU, had to be told later that I'd had a baby. The pain lasted a month and the after-effects six months. Worst pain ever.

Never going to a hospital again!!
Too scared!
#223 of 225 Old 04-09-2007, 11:16 PM

In a word, yes! But not the whole of labor, just the last hour of my third birth when he kept trying to come down and couldnt break the water, then after AROM, actually feeling like my body was being ripped in half. Ow.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#224 of 225 Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 PM

my gallbladder attacks were worse. namely because there was no ebb or flow, no rhyme or reason, just unrelenting pain.
#225 of 225 Old 04-10-2007, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, I've just read this whole thread.

My first labor definitely was a "10" for me. I labored naturally for 36 hours or so before the docs got impatient and wanted to augment (I was already in transition with TRIPLE-peaking ctxs!). Eventually had a totally unnecessary c/s due to the clueless docs and me being waaaay tired and totally out of it. So when the nurses would ask how the pain was a couple of days later, my answers were always about a "4" or so. I mean, I'd just been through the WORST, so what do you expect?! I think I missed some due doses of pain meds just 'cause they totally didn't get that.

I really didn't mind that labor at all, though, until they started messing with it. It was very hard but totally empowering and I DID IT. I talked to my baby through three peaks at a time while I was stuck in transition and it was okay. It was never miserable until interventions started happening and I was out of control.

Fast forward 2.5 years to my homebirth VBAC. Labor was hard but I was cognisant and in control the whole time. BUT when I had a cervical lip AND the urge to push, it got hairy. The worst was not being able to find a good position and then having to have the midwife hold back the cervical lip.

Pushing was actually great once the lip was gone! And the ring of fire? No big deal! I had no idea we were as close as we were (we? I!), so when I felt it I though, "hm, that sort of feels like the ring of fire... but we're not there yet." About a half a minute later he was on my tummy!

Stitches were also not bad - I got a shot of anesthetic which wasn't a big deal, and did feel the last stitch or two as it wore off. Healing was hard, and the hemorrhoids I get during labor were really tough. But the worst was definitely that part of labor where I couldn't do anything to deal with the pain and started to lose it a little bit, I think. But then we were DONE!!

So honestly, it was the only thing I've ever thought of as "hellacious," and yet I would NEVER do it differently and am looking forward to this next birth. Just praying it's a little easier!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page