Irregular period postpartum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2007, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first period at 8months postpartum then I got my second period 10 weeks after.
I used to be super regular (every 30 days on the dot) before I got pregnant.
I'm still breastfeeding although my 11month old is now on solids (he solids around 6-7mos).
Anybody with the same experience? Should I be seeing my OB/Gyn? Thoughts, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 11:27 AM

From my research (my own experience,reading and talking to other mamas) this is very normal. It takes a while for your body to get back on track and you may never experience your cycles the way you did before having a baby. My first period post baby was when my ds was 16 months (still bf's like a champ) and since then each cycle has been a little different - ranging anywhere from 40-28 days. I also do not think I am even ovulating yet. The way I understand it - your body has to pass different hormonal "thresholds" to get everything going again and the hormones that are produced while bf'ing supress the hormone's you need for ovulating...
Its nothing I personally would see a doctor about... Have you ever seen the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" ? - It can be really helpful in learning to decipher your body's clues as to where you are in your cycle and what's going on with all that stuff.
HTH
Old 03-14-2007, 11:51 AM

:

I started charting my cycles again about 6 mo after each baby, and both times what I found is that my cycle came back in stages -- first AF returned, but was fairly irregular and anovulatory. Then ovulation returned, but with a very short luteal phase. Then the luteal phase slowly lengthened, and as this happened, my cycles became more regular. It just took a while for all the hormones to start functioning again.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first pp period after my first was born was 45 days. They stayed irregular for awhile, but overall were shortening down to my regular length. The longest pp period I've had with any of my kids was 60 days, I think. Again, they were irregular but shortened down to my regular length. It's normal.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

User Tag List