Nuchal Hand question - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Birth and Beyond > Nuchal Hand question
coobabysmom's Avatar coobabysmom 10:29 PM 03-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
since you think that this might have been the cause -- I wondered if your intuition about it was also something you sensed- had a physical feeling- or a mental image when it happened.
The Arom/nuchal hand connection didn't occur to me until many months later.

I felt very centered and tuned in to my body & baby during labor at home, and was really clear all was well without any sensation of tickling or scratching as other posters describe. Contrax were super irregular and I always thought it was because I self-induced with the cohoshes and I was a first timer.

I actually didn't know until about the "hand" until a few days after ds was born when I went back to the midwives' office for bright blood (popped stitches) and severe pain then I was told.

coobabysmom's Avatar coobabysmom 10:33 PM 03-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetboysmom View Post
I was born with a nuchal arm/hand, my mom said her labor started with srom (at k-mart : ) Her labor with me was 6 hours.
My first was 7lb 9oz nuchal hand (I had felt him "scratching" my cervix with his fingers for a couple of weeks beforehand) He was arom + pit to induce (pre-e) 6hr labor.
My second was 8lb8oz and had a nuchal hand too. arom 7 hr labor.
Both my boys curled into a position with their hand over their head for weeks after birth so I'm just glad it was only a nuchal hand!!
To feel him scratching at your cervix just blows my mind!
coobabysmom's Avatar coobabysmom 10:35 PM 03-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerikadi View Post
My water broke on it's own while sitting on a birth stool about 5.5 hours into labor, my DD was born minutes later in our bathtub with a nuchal hand.
Oh, and we just had a skidmark as well, she was 8lbs 8oz.

Keri
It feels good to hear many women citing only skidmarks or less. Sounds like you had a nice birth experience.
Belle's Avatar Belle 11:11 PM 03-18-2007
My dd had a nuchal hand. I had AROM at 9+cm. I think it was already up there and the AROM didn't have much to do with it.
KWenn's Avatar KWenn 11:27 PM 03-18-2007
DD was born with a nuchal hand. I had a few tears on the inside that needed a few stitches. When her head came out, I saw the splash of bright red blood and knew something had happened

I had SROM @ almost 10 cm while sitting on the birth stool. Some back labor as well--didn't know this was from her hand being up there?

This is an interesting thread!
jenmidwife2b's Avatar jenmidwife2b 12:36 AM 03-19-2007
I was so privileged to be there, it was my first "catch" on my own. I really feel that since that first catch was a caul baby I am doubly blessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coobabysmom View Post
Do you think this had to do with arm?
I think it was twofold, one, the hand/arm and also her position. Initially she was on her side pushing but was clamping her legs together everytime she pushed so I asked her if she'd like to try a different position so she could open up. She chose squatting. Squatting opens up a pelvis just wonderfully, but also puts more pressure on the perineal area since this makes it tighter. So, I think it was the squat position and that lovely hand.
coobabysmom's Avatar coobabysmom 01:24 AM 03-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWenn View Post
DD was born with a nuchal hand. I had a few tears on the inside that needed a few stitches. When her head came out, I saw the splash of bright red blood and knew something had happened

I had SROM @ almost 10 cm while sitting on the birth stool. Some back labor as well--didn't know this was from her hand being up there?

This is an interesting thread!
Again, I am seeing a pattern here with us mamas of "nuchal hands/arms".

I too was on a birth stool and a splash of brith red blood came out with his head/hand.
coobabysmom's Avatar coobabysmom 01:30 AM 03-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
I posted in your other thread but I wanted to post and subscribe here, I like all the shared stories.

In my above post, I forgot to say that the week before my midwife felt fingers in the VE, the midwife's apprentice said she felt an arm up by baby's head when she did palpations.

Descent WAS excrutiating. I'm glad my labor was fast because the back labor was awful and I'm glad she came pretty quick once I started pushing. I have a roomy pelvis, so I'm hoping if we have #4 that he/she won't decide to be a finger sucker too.

To this day, dd sucks her two middle fingers on her right hand, she's 10mo now.
Finger sucker! So cute.

Yes the descent was excrutiating for me too. While pushing I actually wondered when the relief was going to come as I had read in a number of books and hear from others! Early and Active labor was pretty manageable compared to the pushing...

The shared stories mean a lot to me. Thanks to all and I hope they keep coming.
coobabysmom's Avatar coobabysmom 01:39 AM 03-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmidwife2b View Post
I was so privileged to be there, it was my first "catch" on my own. I really feel that since that first catch was a caul baby I am doubly blessed.
You're kidding! That seems like a great omen to the start of your midwifery career and dare I say it highlights your trust in the female body to do it's work without intervention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmidwife2b View Post
I think it was twofold, one, the hand/arm and also her position. Initially she was on her side pushing but was clamping her legs together everytime she pushed so I asked her if she'd like to try a different position so she could open up. She chose squatting. Squatting opens up a pelvis just wonderfully, but also puts more pressure on the perineal area since this makes it tighter. So, I think it was the squat position and that lovely hand.
This gives me a lot to think about actually...
Full Heart's Avatar Full Heart 03:13 PM 03-19-2007
Quote:
Awesome. Do you feel the pushing stage was affected by the nurchal arm?
Nope. I hate pushing, I panic. But it very quick and I let my body do all the work. Doesn't seem to matter where the hand is - all hurts the same lol.

I gave birth 2 days ago, now no one actually saw the birth cause I was on hands and knees in the pool facing away from everyone but I am pretty sure there was no hand or arm and I again had SROM to start off labor.
Peppamint's Avatar Peppamint 12:04 PM 03-21-2007
Quote:
Awesome. Do you feel the pushing stage was affected by the nurchal arm?
I had to push hard and give an extra push. My previous babe (1oz bigger) had practically fallen out because I had that ejection reflex going. I still had the reflex feeling with my nuchal hand baby too, but she didn't come out as easily.

It definitely changed the pushing stage and I think it could have caused some probs if my pelvis wasn't so roomy, and if I hadn't already given birth twice. Who knows though.
attachedmamaof3's Avatar attachedmamaof3 09:14 PM 03-21-2007
My first and second both had nuchal hands (and were both posterior strangely enough)...the first I believe was because we had to do an internal version since he was coming out shoulder/arm first...the second had 2 nuchal hands/arms and was posterior. His bag broke on it's own when he crowned. I had no tearing (with any of mine) and a 1.5 hr labor...so I think (in my experience anyway) that the nuchal hands are already there but an AROM may cause it to 'stick' for lack of a better word...
2Sweeties1Angel's Avatar 2Sweeties1Angel 01:56 AM 03-22-2007
Saffron's had was up by her face at my 38 weeks US. I just assumed she'd move it before birth but no, she didn't. I had SROM a few hours before she was born and she came out with the nuchal hand. That didn't feel so good.
yeahwhat's Avatar yeahwhat 09:46 AM 03-22-2007
It definitely did not effect pushing for me. Once srom happened, I got an overwhelming urge to push on the next contraction and baby girl arrived in one long push.

I'd never thought to connect the terrible back pain I had during the last 30 minutes or so with the position of her elbow. I guess that's a possible explanation.
MyCalling's Avatar MyCalling 12:28 PM 03-22-2007
My first was a nuchal arm and I had srom at 7cm that had nothing to do with it. His cord was wrapped under his arm pit and around the other side of his neck holding it up there. His fingers where the first thing to crown and his arm had to be crossed over and pulled through before he would fit out.

I felt everything and have a huge fear of pushing each birth because of it. On the side with the elbow, I tore from front to back along the inside and up the center of my labia and swelled like I had elephantiasis on the opposite side.
loraxc's Avatar loraxc 04:04 PM 01-04-2008
I'm bumping this because I'd love to hear more from mamas who birthed babies with nuchal hands. I am almost 36 weeks and my MWs have felt a nuchal hand at my last 3 appointments; babe is also very low, so I think this critter has its mind made up. I'm nervous about tearing and long labor (my first labor was 34 hours!)
wendy1221's Avatar wendy1221 04:37 PM 01-04-2008
My first had a nuchal hand. My doc didn't break my water until after I had been pushing for over an hour. I don't think her breaking my water had anything to do with it. I do think it's the reason I had to push for 2.5 hours, though.
Queen of my Castle's Avatar Queen of my Castle 01:21 AM 01-06-2008
Interesting thread!
Dd had a nuchal hand, and I too felt her tickling me with her fingers way down low a week or so before. It was so weird, a new sensation. I remember thinking to myself, 'don't tell me this baby is going to come out with a nuchal hand'!
Ds didn't and I had arom right before birth and dd did have the nuchal hand and my water broke between push 1 and 2 (of total 3). I didn't tear, pushing was extrememly fast, but also very furious. (3 min) I laughed when my mw told me later that she had a nuchal hand, I said, 'I knew it!'. She was 8lb4 oz, for the record, and my ds was only 6lb 9oz.
A
langdonslady's Avatar langdonslady 01:20 AM 01-07-2008
My 10 lb 2 oz baby boy born at home after previous caesarean, was born 'en caul' (the membranes never ruptured and his head was born with the sac around it) yet he was also born with nuchal hand. And only 1st degree tears (happy proud dance)!
But at least from my experience, you can have the amniotic sac completely unbroken until the head delivers right into it (the bag bulged out first, yet still didn't break), but still have a nuchal hand.
langdonslady's Avatar langdonslady 01:24 AM 01-07-2008
You mean you think the rupture of membranes was why you pushed so long? Oh right! The membrane smooths things along, so to speak! My 10+ lb HBAC (which had nuchal hand too... ) was born en caul, ... the sac never broke until his head emerged into it, and I think that's why I only pushed for 41 minutes. Man, I can't imagine how I could have kept that up for 2 hours! HUGS!
langdonslady's Avatar langdonslady 01:36 AM 01-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahwhat View Post
It definitely did not effect pushing for me. Once srom happened, I got an overwhelming urge to push on the next contraction and baby girl arrived in one long push.

I'd never thought to connect the terrible back pain I had during the last 30 minutes or so with the position of her elbow. I guess that's a possible explanation.
You know, I had forgotten all about that part! Yes, the nuchal arm was what caused me to have pain and pressure in the rectum with each contraction and push! Since I had had back labor in the previous breech c/sec, I was no stranger to this pain, because I had had the rectal pain and pressure then too. I was just grateful this time that the pain went away between contractions, unlike last time. The HBAC went well all things considered, and between the big head, and the nuchal arm, maybe I got off easy with skidmarks and 1st degree tears. And yes, I was in the hands/knees squat. Didn't know it put more pressure on the perineum. Not that it would have mattered; I just felt I HAD to be in that position.
langdonslady's Avatar langdonslady 01:48 AM 01-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
I had to push hard and give an extra push. My previous babe (1oz bigger) had practically fallen out because I had that ejection reflex going. I still had the reflex feeling with my nuchal hand baby too, but she didn't come out as easily.

It definitely changed the pushing stage and I think it could have caused some probs if my pelvis wasn't so roomy, and if I hadn't already given birth twice. Who knows though.
Omigosh! Thank you for the link to what an ejection reflex is! That described exactly what happened when I had DS. It was absolutely not something I could have stopped, or done on purpose. It was more like the feeling you get when you projectile vomit... your body takes completely over, and you are at the mercy of events, and have to ride through it come what may. That's how the pushing was! And I wasn't aware of my midwives, the doula, or DH, or anything at that point. Hope I am not posting too many replies. This has been quite an education.
3cuties's Avatar 3cuties 10:35 AM 01-07-2008
I didn't have AROM for my last delivery and my daughter was born with a nuchal hand. My first two I did have AROM and no nuchal hand. So I don't see any relation. Additionally, my daughter still sleeps with her hand like that.
MiaMama's Avatar MiaMama 01:12 PM 01-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
My posterior nuchal hand baby was my smallest (most room to get all turned around?) and my most painful and odd process of labor
I only have one baby, but she was very small, and had a nuchal hand. She was delivered over an intact perineum, but since she was posterior, I believe her hand/arm is what tore my labia. He little fist was right under her chin and I didn't even realize it until I saw the pictures that her daddy took of her crowning. It only took one stitch to repair, so it wasn't that bad of a tear. I had SROM after 16+ hours of labor. It was a gentle, long labor, until the OB decided I needed pit. It was shortly after the pit started that my water broke, then I convinced them to turn it off and I finished the rest of the way on my own.
Banana731's Avatar Banana731 01:20 PM 01-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by langdonslady View Post
But at least from my experience, you can have the amniotic sac completely unbroken until the head delivers right into it (the bag bulged out first, yet still didn't break), but still have a nuchal hand.
nak

that is what happened with dd2. i felt her hand tickling me right above my clitoris, but on the inside for a week or 2 prior to labor. my water broke on the last push(i pushed for about 1 1/2 hrs). her entire body came out in that one push, and i believe that she would have been born in the caul and that i wouldn't have torn if i had pushed her out slower. i was tired, and afraid that i wouldn't make it much longer. i had a small tear down( i uc'ed, so no stitches) my husband said it just looked like the skin tore, and also something happened to my labia, because i could feel it-both healed in a couple days though, so it couldn't have been that bad.

also, FWIW, my labor pattern was all over the place, no consistency at all. i almost went to the hospital when i my body started to push because i thought there was no was i could be complete. no break in ctx, no discernable transition. luckily a wonderful MW talked me down via VIOP! (i live overseas)
coobabysmom's Avatar coobabysmom 06:08 PM 01-08-2008
Oh! I like seeing this thread resurrected.

I no longer think my AROM (at 9.5cm) caused ds nuchal hand at birth. I now am assuming his hand was just there prior to & during labor and probably wouldn't have moved even if I didn't have the AROM.

Banana731
Quote:
also, FWIW, my labor pattern was all over the place, no consistency at all. i almost went to the hospital when i my body started to push because i thought there was no was i could be complete. no break in ctx, no discernable transition. luckily a wonderful MW talked me down via VIOP! (i live overseas)
Interesting... My entire labor pattern was also all over the place-no consistency of length between contrx or lenght of contrx ever during the whole 24hrs of it. However I did have breaks between contrx and about 2 minutes of tears and fears over going to the hospital, which I assume was transition.

Does anyone think nuchal hands/arms have something to do with this kind of labor?

I do believe the pushing stage was more difficult due to the nuchal hand- it probably took longer, hurt more than labor and I did tear. Healing took 9mos., but I now feel great, um, down there!
Peppamint's Avatar Peppamint 11:35 PM 01-08-2008
Quote:
Does anyone think nuchal hands/arms have something to do with this kind of labor?
I do! It seems like malpresentations and nuchal extremeties can, and often do, cause odd labor patterns and they also seem to affect pushing urges. Ya know, the mom will say something like "Wow, this just doesn't feel as effective as last time [previous birth]", comments like that.
1  2

Up