What was your first post-partum meal? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 03-28-2007, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife and other "support" always make the yummiest potato soup while I'm laboring and, lemme tell you, homemade potato soup is THE best thing after birth. Oh my goodness, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

DD was born at 8:54 pm and I had at least three bowls full after a nice shower and getting cleaned up.

DS was born at 3:20 am and I had several bowls of potato soup and then settled in to bed to sleep. Pure heaven.

I am really looking forward to that first bowl of soup with my new baby in my arms!

This time around, depending on how I feel and the time of day I start feeling like I'm in real labor (any day now!) I might make some of my own rosemary cheese bread to compliment the soup....mmmmmm. Maybe I should just make some now......

I always tease my mw that the real reason we hire her is just for the potato soup!
#62 of 72 Old 03-28-2007, 10:30 PM

We were unprepared for my quick labor and it ended up being Macdonald's. : I was just happy to eat something. Next time we'll be prepared AND have the baby at home where I will have a full fridge.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#63 of 72 Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama de dos View Post
It felt so good to eat and not feel nauseated or throw up like I had been doing the whole pregnancy!
OMG! Same here, it was immediate that I could eat whatever and how much I wanted!

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#64 of 72 Old 03-29-2007, 09:57 AM

Chicken soup after dd1, and enchiladas with salad (my mom is a great cook!) and freshly made gingersnap cookies after dd2! I think I ate about a dozen

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
#65 of 72 Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 PM

With ds1 I was in the hospital and ordered a huge plate of french toast and bacon! And they starved me for 20 hours, so it was damn good!!! I had ds2 at home and I had crackers and cheddar cheese and irish soda bread made by my MIL. My blood pressure bottomed out at 60/30 and I was feeling really weak, so those were good, easy to eat things that didn't make me feel like I needed to yak. I HIGHLY recommend the soda bread- make it "spotted dog" style with raisins.
#66 of 72 Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 PM

i ordered a pizza, it was soooo good.
#67 of 72 Old 03-29-2007, 02:20 PM

with my first son it was spinach and cheese croissants from the breadgarden I ate three of them

baby #2 was preterm and I was sick I don't remember much for the first 48 hours

baby #3 my mil was going to fetch us some take out but she was unfamiliar with the city so we settled on mcdonalds gross

baby#4 I think I had hospital breakfast oatmeal and bacon and a hard boiled egg

this next one I"m hoping to have at home and I would love thai food take out, but we'll have to see because we live rural and its a 30 minute drive to pick it up
#68 of 72 Old 03-29-2007, 03:10 PM

What a great question!!! After a great delivery, I wasn't even thinking about food. BUt my midwife kept on insisting that I eat. So, my MIL made some yummy whole wheat spaghetti with pesto and warm bread. Very simply and sooooo satisfying.
#69 of 72 Old 03-29-2007, 03:23 PM

#1 I don't remember really. I had him at 7pm on a Saturday, at a free-standing birth center. I know family members had brought food to the BC during my labor so I must've eaten something that they had brought. I went home 4 hrs after he was born.

#2- hospital birth. She was born at 8:30pm on a Sunday and I remember the nurses telling me that I couldn't have the hot hospital dinner, that I'd have to have a cold sandwich. I don't remember what I ate but I do remember almost eating the styrofoam packaging I was so ravenous.

#3- hospital birth (different hospital). I had gotten wise by that point and before I gave birth I made my dh get food into my room so that I could have it ASAP and not have to wait for the nurses. She was born at 8:30pm also and I got a cold turkey sandwich and some soup...best darn turkey sandwich I'd ever tasted, omg I was sooooooooo hungry!!

#4- hospital birth again (same as #3). I labored in the evening and told the nurses that I would be requesting food as soon as the baby was born, no matter what time it was. He wasn't born until 2:30am but the sweet nurse had remembered and brought me a turkey sandwich within 20 mins of his birth. Dh laughed and laughed as I devoured it barely even stopping to chew! :
#70 of 72 Old 03-29-2007, 04:18 PM

I don't remember what I ate with #1 other then a meal and some twizzlers. With #2 all I remember was I threw it up. With #3 I found this little resturant just a block or so up the street from the hospital and got a menu. They've got everything from sandwiches to hummus to meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I figure I can send DH if what the hospital offers to feed me sucks or I want something sooner then they're willing to find something.

-Pam
#71 of 72 Old 03-29-2007, 04:21 PM

French Vanilla yogurt, granola and fresh fruit sitting on my deck in the beautiful July sun with my baby at the breast. :

ETA: After my first (hospital) birth I was given a processed cheese and butter on white bread sandwich. *barf*
#72 of 72 Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 AM

csection for 1st baby. I was ony allowed broth the next AM. At dinner time they gave me a hot turkey sandwich with gravy ( I don't really like those but I gobbled it up)

Baby 2- my midwife made me a tuna sandwich, which I was craving after having had no tuna in years. I ate it in the nude sitting on the edge of the bed.

Baby 3 was born very quickly at 11:13 PM. I wasn't hungry until the next AM. I ate an odwalla bar at 4 AM, and then My midwife (same as baby 2) brought me a big fat blueberry muffin, yogurt & orange juice in the AM. So yummy.

Mama to 3 kiddles. joy.giffencing.gif Doing my best and trying to stay afloat.vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page