"You're having a big baby" poll - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Were you told you were having a "big" baby?
I was told I was having a big baby and I had a big baby. 94 35.34%
I was told I was having a big baby and I had an average or small baby. 71 26.69%
I was not told I was having a big baby. 101 37.97%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a s/o of a discussion on the "I'm Pregnant" forum.

Were you told during your pregnancy that you were having a big baby? Did your doc want to induce? Was your baby "big" or not? (Your opinion.)

With my first pregnancy, I was induced at 34w due to twins with TTTS and they were 5.11 and 3.11. With my third, I was told that I was having an average sized baby and she was 8.4, which seems like an average size, at 40w.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 05:44 AM

With my first, I got stuck seeing another dr. in the practise at 36 weeks when my dr. was called out. He said I was having a big baby, but ds was 7lbs15oz, so not really big at all.

With my last, my midwife's student commenyed to my dh that I was having a bigger baby. I think she was actually answering a question dh asked. Since I was in very active/transitional labor, that was not a great thing to overhear. Dd was over 9lbs though, after 3 other 8lb babies, so she was signifigantly bigger than the others.
#3 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 06:09 AM

I was told ds1 was to be "of average size...perhaps a bit smaller" putting me in the mindframe of 6.5-7lbs. I was very shocked to be presented with a huge baby weighing nearly 10lbs. (9lbs 10oz) it took a bit of getting used to I'm sure. mostly I spent a few weeks poring over my belly pictures "but my belly was so tiny!!!"

I was informed that ds2 would possibly be smaller than ds1. I felt he was approx a pound lighter and at 8lbs 10oz he was...and he felt/looked soooo tiny! it was odd to have everyone commenting how big he was!

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#4 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 06:20 AM

I was told to expect 9-10lbs, no medical decisions were based on this fact though. DD was 7lb 3oz.
#5 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 07:23 AM

My answer's different for my two boys.

#1--You're having a huge baby and we'll schedule an induction for your due date. 39 weeks and some days he arrived on his own weighing all of 6 lb 14 oz.

#2--You're having a huge baby. (Midwives this time, didn't push for induction!). 42 weeks and some days he arrived at 9 lb 15 oz.

#3--You're probably having a huge baby again. Midwife guessed at 36 weeks that he's around 7 lb, so he has a little more growing to do.
Thank goodness I have a "tried and true" pelvis from last time around. Gives me a leg to stand on when I tell them I'm not at all worried about how big the baby gets.
#6 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 08:28 AM

The midwife told me that she thought the baby was big. "I guess I could offer you a scan if you want it." I declined, because current ACOG recommendations are not induction, but straight to c-section for over 5000 gms. I didn't think the baby was that big--I was thinking 9 lbs. The midwife later told me she was thinking 10 lbs.

He weighed 11 lbs, 14 ounces! Crazy.
#7 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 AM

I was told starting at 36 weeks that dd was huge and I'd never be able to deliver her vaginally. They wanted to schedule an induction or c/s ASAP. I refused, and continued to refuse until I went into labor at 40w5d. I didn't remember how big they said she would be, but dh says 9 lbs. She was 10 lbs. 9 oz. -- born vaginally.

I thought that would work in my favor this time -- proven pelvis and all that -- but the ob my mw works with STILL wants to induce me early because this baby is measuring big at 8 lbs. My wonderful dh questioned her logic, considering the size of our first, but we got the same answer: we're very, very lucky that nothing terrible happened with our 1st baby, and even smaller babies can get stuck. Thus prompting the question: why not just automatically section every mother at 37 weeks so that no babies get stuck? Grrrr.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#8 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 09:42 AM

We never discussed size specifically during either pregnancy, but I was measuring right "on target" or just a little ahead for my gestational stage with both. Gained about the same in the end with both.

DD was average sized.

DS was a big dude. Complete surprise to everyone.
#9 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 09:51 AM

After my baby was born the OB said, "He's probably seven, eight pounds." I said, "I think he's nine pounds even." The nurse put him on the scale and he was nine pounds one ounce.

Mother's intuition is way more accurate!

He was born on his due date.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#10 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 09:52 AM

With my son, I was told that he was big, and they induced me on my due date (boo), and he was born weighing 9 lbs. 1 oz.

With my daughter, I asked the midwife if she felt large, and she said, "Mmm...average." She weighed 10 lbs. 7 oz.
#11 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 10:06 AM

I was told both times I was having a "big baby"... and I did. DD1 was 9 lbs 7 oz, and DD2 (who was born at 38 weeks) was 10 lbs 3 oz.

My OB was going to induce for #1, but only because I was almost 43 weeks pregnant, not because of size.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#12 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 10:23 AM

I've had a MW for all three of my births, and have never been told I was having a big baby. (I did end up having two babies over 10lbs and one over 8 lbs.)
#13 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 10:38 AM

I was told at 36 weeks that he was 7½lbs already. He weighed 7lbs 15 oz when born at 40wks.
#14 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 11:01 AM

I was told at 38 weeks I was having a 10 lber, and at 42 weeks on the dot I had a 9 lber, on the dot.
#15 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Baby size never came up. Induction certainly never came up. I chose midwives exactly to avoid things like this.

(8 lbs, 9 ozs and 9lbs, 10 ozs.)

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#16 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 AM

I was told the opposite. Twice I was told 5lbs max - 8lbs 4oz (41wks) 7lbs 6oz (37wks.)

My SIL was told big baby, over 9 lbs at 37wks. She induced (with EPO and sweeping membranes) and had a 6lb baby. I don't have much faith in weight estimates!
#17 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 11:20 AM

I had a homebirth MW for prenatals. With my 1st she guestimated (by palpation) that he'd be about 7 lbs. He was 7 lb, 2 oz. He could have been 12 lbs and she still would have been gung ho to assist me though, so i didn't vote since baby weight wasn't a big deal in my birthing experience.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#18 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 11:24 AM

My doctor made no predictions that I can remember, but everyone else kept telling me I was huge and the baby would be huge. I carried my girls all out front and I have a small frame and gained a lot of weight.

Both my kids were around 7 pounds. One a little under, one a little over.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#19 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 11:28 AM

I had a 9 lb, 3 oz posterior baby, and pushed him out with only a tiny tear. Two hour labor. No one suspected he'd be that large, and my midwife didn't act like it was a big deal when she weighed him. I'm a relatively small person (5'6" and not particularly overweight), so I have a hard time understanding why doctors make such a big deal about big babies.

Rebecca, mama to M (08/06) and E (04/09)
#20 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 11:34 AM

None of the choices really fit...

With my first, my OBs predicted "big" but, since I went into labor naturally the day before my due date, induction was never mentioned. She was 9 pounds even.

With my second, I was in a new practice and one OB seemed extremely concerned about having another "huge" baby. Every time I saw her she'd say something dumb like, "Do you think this baby is as big as your first?" or "Let's do our best not to have another 9-pounder!" I mentioned once that I had no problem delivering my first but this didn't seem to make much difference to her. I finally decided that if the subject came up again I would ask her, "Are you uncomfortable helping me deliver a larger-than-average baby? Because if so perhaps I should find another practice."

Luckily, another OB was on call the day I delivered. A few hours before P was born the OB examined me and said, "I'm thinking this baby is 7.5, 8 pounds." She turned out to be 9 lbs 10 oz. The OB just laughed when the nurse called out the weight and said, "Shows what I know!"
#21 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 11:37 AM

My first dd was born in the hospital with CNM's. At 39 weeks they ordered an ultrasound to "see how the baby was doing" and I was told she was a "really big baby, at least 9.5 lbs." They recommended immediate induction and being fairly naive and impressionable I agreed. She was born vaginally 15 hours later and weighed 7lbs, 5oz. That intervention-heavy birth was pretty much the end of my belief that hospital birth was safer for normal pregnancies. The next two babes were both born at home. No one tried to guess their size or ordered tests to figure it out. They weighed 7lbs 9oz, and 7lbs 6oz respectively.

"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." -Isaac Asimov read.gif

#22 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 11:42 AM

I suppose I fit in the missing 'other' category... all the ultrasounds (I was high risk) kept saying he would be big, all the nurses/doctors who just looked at my belly said he would be small, all the people who knew me and saw my belly thought he would be big.
He ended up being 'average', but large for gestational age. He was 7lbs 7oz, but born at 37 weeks. So had he gone 'full' term, he would have been quit big.
DD, was a surprise premie, no one had even started making predictions yet... she was tiny, but again, large for gestational age.
#23 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 12:28 PM

My midwives never guess-timated how big ds would be and always told me I was measuring on target. Everyone around me thought my stomach was huge and by the 7th month or so some asked if I was having twins!

I did push out a biggie at 9 lbs 9 oz at almost 42 wks and the u/s I had the day labor started estimated ds at 9 lb 13 oz. Pretty close! I did have a bad pushing stage with tearing but I believe this had to do with a nuchal hand NOT the size of my squishy big baby.
#24 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 12:39 PM

DS ..at my 41 weeks U/S Non stress test.
The Doctors estimated 9 lbs 9 oz and suggested a C-section as he had a high chance of shoulder Dystocia(sp)
That I declined and when I saw a my Midwife a few hours later they acknowledged that they expected the baby to be large but it was not worrisome.
5 days later he was born after an induction(for other reasons) at 8 lbs 10 ozs after a brutal episotomy because they thought he was stuck..
He never was but they still put it in his medical charts that he had SD and I only found this out 2 years later after I requested the charts..umm if that had been the case perhaps someone should have told me about it.

DD at a 32 week U/S to check for some kidney issues they said oh its going to be a big baby. DD was Frank Breech at the time and they implied that she would not turn due to her size at that point...She was born one day before her due date at 8 lbs 1 oz after a very easy labour.

I loved my midwives but really hated the hospital associated with them for tests or transfers.
Their common theme seems to be big baby ohhh let's section. Maybe they see that I am with the local birth house and want to play with me but it seems to be the general feeling that most Mothers get there.
As our first birth ended up being a transfer there I made sure that I had another hospital lined up just in case for our second birth....
#25 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 01:17 PM

This big baby stuff.... Our bodies grow what we can handle (usually). Big babies.... pfffttt. What does that mean?

I keep being told that my 8lb 8oz was big. I don't think she was big. I think she was healthy.

Big is in the interpretation. Is there some magical size that determines "big"? Is it better that we have low birth weight babies?

Come on! Let's get real. Trust your body not these doctors and their hypotheses.....
#26 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was never told either way with DS. With DD, my midwife estimated about 7.5 lbs at my 39 week appointment.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#27 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 01:29 PM

The midwives all thought I was going to have a big baby with DD. Probably because I gained more weight with my 2nd pregnancy - turns out she was 7 lbs 10 oz, exactly the same as DS.
#28 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 01:51 PM

i was told that i was having a 9lb + (by my mws) with ds and he was 6lb14oz.

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
#29 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 02:46 PM

The only time someone commented on size was during a bpp at 41+ weeks, the u/s estimated babies weight at 8 lbs 8 oz. Baby was born a week later at 9 lbs.

This last time my mw was going by the head size and I kept telling her that I've had a 9 lb baby before with a little 13 inch head so don't count on that too much (she thought the baby would be smaller than my others). Sure enough I had another 9 lber with a 13 inch head.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#30 of 108 Old 03-26-2007, 02:54 PM

I am also on the opposite end of the spectrum.

With my first I was told based on ultrasound estimates that my baby wasn't thriving, induced just before the due date and prepared for a 4 lb baby. That one was my biggest at 7 lbs 2 oz.

I had midwives and no ultrasounds with my next two, and no weight estimates either.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page