How to avoid severe round ligament pain? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-09-2007, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my last pregnancy I had severe round ligament pain. In fact when I was in labor I felt the pain on my left side more than I felt my contractions. The pain was unbearable. My midwife gave me tylenol with codene to help me be more comfortable, but it did not even work. That led me to decide to be induced...which was even worse. The pain only intensified...again all I felt was the pain on my left side. My contractions were never regular throughout my whole labor either. So as a result, my hopes of a drug free natural birth ended up with 3 doses of stadol and an epidural...not to mention that I was in labor for about 48 hours!

So, this time around I am trying to figure out what I can do to avoid that pain. Towards my last month or so I had a lot of spasms on that same left side too. The only thing that helped alleviate the pain (other than the drugs) was by applying constant pressure to the spot. It felt like my daughter was trying to come out of my side instead of the birth canal.

Has anyone else experience this? What exercises or anything can I do to avoid this now that I am pregnant again? Please help, I want to have a better birthing experience...right now I'm just thinking "lightening can't strike twice in the same spot right?" But I still want to be on the safe side.:

Another thing that was strange was that during labor, prior to the drugs, my left leg went out. So I was having the pain on my left side and then suddenly I couldn't move my left leg at all. I had to have the doctors lift it and adjust it for me...I wonder if the baby was on a nerve or something. All the nurses and midwife said was "hmmm, that's strange."
#2 of 6 Old 04-09-2007, 08:58 AM

I've never heard of round ligament pain during labor, but I just go off of my experiences and those of the people who post. AFAIK most round ligament pain happens when you move, when you stretch the ligaments fast.

For me... I had terrible round ligament pain last pregnancy, from very early on. It was my first time dealing with it and I thought there was something wrong with me and ran to the doctor. I know better now.

I did a lot of stretching exercises. I have a yoga tape, and I just generally do slow stretches when I'm feeling stiff. I don't know if it helped, but it made me feel like I was doing something. When you stand up, stand up straight, dont twist. Keeping your body aligned (knees to hips to shoulders) should really cut down on round ligament pain. Turning (like to get out of bed), turn with your whole body, and not with your waist.

As for relieving one, I didn't ever like taking tylenol etc because it seemed to kick in right after the attack was over, and go away before the next one. : What worked for me really really well was warm wet compresses to the area. (wet seemed to work a hundred times better than dry, but a heating pad is ok if nothing else is available atm) There may be an herbal remedy that you could add to the mix to help soothe, but last pregnancy I hadn't had enough information about herbs to even consider it and havent had too much trouble this time yet. Maybe someone with more herbal experience would be able to help.
#3 of 6 Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 AM

I had it with my most recent pregnancy, and chiropractics did wonders for it. You want to look for someone -- preferrably a Palmer school graduate -- with experience in treating pregnant patients.
#4 of 6 Old 04-09-2007, 12:59 PM

With what you are describing it sounds like maybe your pelvis was out of alignment (muscle spasms, leg going numb, pain more on one side). I had this too with DD, 51 hour back labor. At times it was very painful.

I'm not sure how far along you are. Seeing a chiropractor to help keep your pelvis in line can help. Also check out the spinning babies website, it has some good info on keeping the baby in a good position which will help keep the pressure off one side of your baby more than the other.

I've been following the advise about keeping my belly forward, not reclining, getting on my hands and knees and I'm amazed at how much better things are. (When I first read about it it seemed imposable to do, know it just feels like the right way to be.) My pelvis which has not wanted to stay aligned since DD's pregnancy now stays in place and will actually self correct for me if I'm feeling pain and just do some simple exercises.

The book Active Birth has some nice exercises it it to help relive muscle strain too. I admit to not doing them daily or doing the whole routine but just picking the ones as needed.

Here's to a happy, easier labor for both of us!

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#5 of 6 Old 04-09-2007, 03:56 PM

I am currently pregnant with twins and I had severe pain like what you are describing until I started going every week to the chiro. He is my favorite person at the moment! Worth every penny. The difference is amazing.

Make sure they have a lot of experience with pregnant women, though. I went to one before who I really like when I am not pregant. It didn't help at all. This new one does things very differently.
#6 of 6 Old 04-10-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, I think maybe I was out of alignment. I think I will definitely try the chiropractor. Plus, I think just having a break for a specially treatment weekly will be a nice treat for me

I'm only 10 weeks now, but just trying to do what I can to not repeat history.

btw musicmomto5 congrats on the twins. I see your in AZ like me. I'm a musician to...what do you play?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page