full dilation = time to push? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2007, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NEW question. I could start a new thread, but I figure I should just ask here.

I am 36.5 weeks. (I had my first son at 37-38 weeks).

I've been having BH, no biggie. I felt some pressure tonight, no biggie. Then I got one big long BH and well, the urge to push. Not a lot, but I felt like letting my pelvic floor relax and tightening my abdominals--this combo is a little pushy.

Thoughts?

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
Probably for the same reason when you are ready to push, they start yelling at you to wait and don't push. Failure to respect a woman's intuition.
I agree
Old 04-20-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
I've been having BH, no biggie. I felt some pressure tonight, no biggie. Then I got one big long BH and well, the urge to push. Not a lot, but I felt like letting my pelvic floor relax and tightening my abdominals--this combo is a little pushy.
All I can tell you is that around 37 weeks I started getting a lot of cramping, loss of mucus, and every once in a while getting the urge to bear down. It felt so good to give into it! Baby was born at 40 weeks after two nights of prodromal labor and a third full night of labor.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
All I can tell you is that around 37 weeks I started getting a lot of cramping, loss of mucus, and every once in a while getting the urge to bear down. It felt so good to give into it! Baby was born at 40 weeks after two nights of prodromal labor and a third full night of labor.
Wow! Good to know. That will keep me from getting discouraged, YK. It did feel good to give into it. Do you think it was to help your cervix efface?

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 04-20-2007, 03:18 PM
3MF

I haven't read all the replies and haven't even given birth yet!...but I have a thought. Actually it's a question because I really don't know the answer but would really like to. I'm afraid I'm going to sound very ignorant though. But here goes. Is there only a certain amount of time (a "window") that you can stay fully dilated and so when you finally reach 10 cm it becomes necessary to push? Well, I think I'm going to go off and hide now! But, I mean, I know it's possible to reverse dilate (as in the whole fight or flight response and such) so that could happen just as easily at fully right? So that would just seem awful to get to 10 and then reverse.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:25 PM

It is possible for reverse dilation (for instance, it can happen between twins), but it is NOT terribly common. I wouldn't worry about that at all, frankly.

User Tag List