Vitamin K - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone used Oral Vitamin K instead of shot? Has anyone refused Vitamin K when circumcising?
#2 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 02:33 PM

I have no answer for your first, but on the second, I would wait at least 8 days before circumcizing, if I were going to. The baby's body will be able to care for itself by that time.
#3 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Birth and Beyond.

Additionally, please note that MDC does not host
discussions on the merits of crying it out, physical punishment, formula feeding, elective cesarean section, routine infant medical circumcision, or mandatory vaccinations. ,
as per the User Agreement.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 02:50 PM

We refused all vit. K, but we would never consider circing.

-Angela
#5 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

annettemarie-sorry if I posted something I wasn't suppossed to. I'm a bit confused. I didn't ask specifically about circumcision it's self but there is a thread for that subject anyway: "The case against circumcision". Can you explain so I can be sure of the guidelines.
thanks
#6 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 PM

You can discuss the case against circumcision all you want. It's pro-routine medical circ posts we don't host. Hope that helps!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 02:59 PM

We will not be doing the vitamin K shot, and we would never ever circumcise a baby.
#8 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 03:53 PM

We're skipping vitamin K, and they'd have to kill me before I'd let anyone circumcise my babies!

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#9 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 04:24 PM

When I worked as a midwife, if we had a mama that didn't want Vit K, but did want circ, we recommended that they wait at least a week before the circ. In my practice, I never saw any problems with this approach (doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but I didn't see any problems, and I would be comfortable choosing that route for my own children, were I to circ).
#10 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 04:47 PM

We didn't do the Vit. K - I feel that God designed our bodies perfectly!

HOWEVER, I did supplement my own diet with liquid chlorophyll which is high in vitamin K, thus was transferred through breastmilk.
#11 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned

Hi,
Congrads on your new baby! I can’t write much right now, so sorry for being brief and very straightforward.

Please do your research before you make a decision to circ! Here is The Case Against Circumcision http://www.mothering.com/discussions...splay.php?f=44
All the ladies there are very knowledgeable and helpful! Please read BEFORE you do that to your baby as there are SO MANY mothers out there that would have given anything to just take it back…but they can’t and so they live with this guilt every single day of their life!

Just to get you started here is a very good post "I'm pregnant"; some pregnant girl had posted it a while ago and she got TONS of responses with alot of good info and links. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=604463

Also please watch video of the procedure (turn your speakers on!)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...umcision&hl=en

and you can also watch Penn and Teller, video Circumcision~Bullshit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?search=...&v=8bpPZ2p0lh0

In case you are Jewish. Jewish people do NOT have to circ! There is a whole website “Jewish against circ”. I’m from Russia and Jewish people have NEVER circ'd their boys there.

Just please don’t feel that I’m rude and pushy. I just care very much!
Yulia.
#12 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 05:20 PM

Please do not fold, spindle, or mutilate your new son. (I didn't really give a rat's patoot about vitamin K; an injection is rather a small pain compared to skinning & amputating. No offense to those who skipped it, I was saving my energy for fighting off sugar water & hepB once I got to the hospital . I did take some orally myself before planning a homebirth though.)
#13 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM

I think the better question is why would you consider circumcision for your baby. Remember it's your son's penis and he should have the say when it comes to cutting parts of it off. I would skip the circ and the Vit.K. I hope you will research circ and realise there are no good reasons to remove an important and vital part of your son's body!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#14 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
In case you are Jewish. Jewish people do NOT have to circ! There is a whole website “Jewish against circ”. I’m from Russia and Jewish people have NEVER circ'd their boys there.
Hi Yulia, not to argue with your main point, but it isn't true that Russian Jews never circ'd. My DH is Russian Jewish, and his generation was mostly not circ'd, but previous generations in his family were more religious and were definitely circ'd. Many (most?) prewar Russian Jews were more religious and lived in small communities where they were able to practice their religion. As I understand it, there was a big difference between the prewar and postwar generations in that regard.
#15 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Banned

http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-heal...-K-in-Newborns

...Injected vitamin K ran into a problem when researchers in 1990 noted an increased incidence of childhood cancer in children given vitamin K injections at birth. Specifically, they found that injected vitamin K doubled the incidence of leukemia in children less than ten years of age. A subsequent study in 1992 revealed the same association between injected vitamin K and cancer, but no such association with oral vitamin K. These researchers recommended exclusive use of oral vitamin K...
#16 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagotchi View Post
Hi Yulia, not to argue with your main point, but it isn't true that Russian Jews never circ'd. My DH is Russian Jewish, and his generation was mostly not circ'd, but previous generations in his family were more religious and were definitely circ'd. Many (most?) prewar Russian Jews were more religious and lived in small communities where they were able to practice their religion. As I understand it, there was a big difference between the prewar and postwar generations in that regard.
I think it is true, at least for most part. I have NEVER heard of anyone circ (of course I had plenty of girls chats with my friends, like any other girl) and have never heard of ANYONE being circ.
So, we had this argument with my dh who is from Israel and was sure that Jewish people circ all over the world. So I told him to ask:
1. His dad who was living in russia for many years during WWII and after that.
2. His best friend who is director of a large company in Israel who has plenty of russian jewish artists working for him.

So dh did ask and to his surprise both have confirmed that I was right.
yulia.
#17 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 06:13 PM

I'm not at all pro-K injection, but serious researchers would include cites for that 'more cancer' thing. (It's a little fear-mongering, if you can't back it up- imagine how many women that birthed in a hospital here have already done it & can't change it.)

If it's true, people definitely should know. If it's a homeopath saying it on his site without backing it up, well... I don't like to see our assertions so easily laughed off by anybody who requires proof. There are bad studies, but it's hard to tell if they aren't even quoted!
#18 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 06:29 PM

here is an analysis on vitamin K administration that includes both the risk factors and causes of VKBD and the effects of routine administration vitamin K.

http://www.babyreference.com/VitaminKinjectORnot.htm

it has references for studies on both sides of the coin.
#19 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 06:39 PM

I just have to chime in and add to those who hope you will do some reserch on circumcision. Take the whole baby home!

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#20 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I think it is true, at least for most part. I have NEVER heard of anyone circ (of course I had plenty of girls chats with my friends, like any other girl) and have never heard of ANYONE being circ.
I know this is OT for this thread, but ... Again, you're talking about postwar generations of Russian Jews who for the most part are indeed not circ'd. I have plenty of experience with them too so I know what you mean. It would be difficult to find a Jew born in Russia younger than 65 or so who was circ'd as a baby.

It's the prewar generations, like DH's dad (who is 68) and older generations, who were generally circ'd. According to DH's dad and other older men I've talked to, in his youth you could tell who was a Jew and who wasn't by whether they were circ'd, and during pogroms it's said that sometimes that was the way they'd decide who to shoot (by having all the men pull their pants down). DH's dad says that was the main reason that Russian Jews, like his family, stopped circing in the postwar period, because they were afraid of future pogroms where they would be killed because of that. I've read elsewhere that the decline in circ among Russian Jews at that time was due to the "forced assimilation" during the 20s and 30s in which Russian Jews were pretty much forced to stop practicing their religion.

Here is a link with some history of Russian Jews. Earlier generations were for the most part very religious, "ruling themselves according to halakha" (Jewish Law). Later generations were almost completely secular, not following Jewish Law or custom at all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...e_Soviet_Union
#21 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 PM

I'd be far more concerned about the circumcision than the vitamin K shot. we did not do either of them
#22 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 08:12 PM

here is a link to a recent vitamin K discussion--

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=655075
#23 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 08:15 PM

First three got it, last didn't. Won't be having it for any future kids.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#24 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
(I didn't really give a rat's patoot about vitamin K; an injection is rather a small pain ...
...that may end up causing leukemia.

The baby is nor ready to have Vita K in the blood at such an early age and this can have consequences.

We did circ our son 36 yrs ago and did not give the Vita K. No one did back then, it was not available and thus not necessary. Same story as always. Once it's on the market it's life threatening to be without...

But I would never ever circ if I had known back then what I know now.

My three grandsons are intact (also vaccine and abx free).
#25 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsmum View Post
I'd be far more concerned about the circumcision than the vitamin K shot. we did not do either of them
Please don't post that until you have researched the vaccine. Thank you.
#26 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 08:26 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
PLEASE do not circumcise your son!

Bleeding is not the only issue you have to worry about with cutting your son..........it can also cause infections (including a virulent form of staph...MSRA), pain, trauma, disruption of breastfeeding, etc.

Please read this article:

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...cumcision.html

And read my signature!

Also please feel free to visit us at the Case Against Circumcision board here on MDC.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#27 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 PM

they have not been able to reproduce the study and link vitamin K with leukemia anywhere else-- and part of science is that results are reproduceable.
something interesting to point out is that the area of England where they did the study originally is a mining area-- and here in the US where tungsten is mined or processed there seems to be clusters of leukemia-- so the meta study may have uncovered an environmental problem that did not have to with vitamin k at all---
#28 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagotchi View Post
I know this is OT for this thread, but ... Again, you're talking about postwar generations of Russian Jews who for the most part are indeed not circ'd. I have plenty of experience with them too so I know what you mean. It would be difficult to find a Jew born in Russia younger than 60 or so who was circ'd as a baby.

It's the prewar generations, like DH's dad (who is 68) and older generations, who were generally circ'd. According to DH's dad and other older men I've talked to, in his youth you could tell who was a Jew and who wasn't by whether they were circ'd, and during pogroms it's said that sometimes that was the way they'd decide who to shoot (by having all the men pull their pants down). DH's dad says that was the main reason that Russian Jews, like his family, stopped circing in the postwar period, because they were afraid of future pogroms where they would be killed because of that. I've read elsewhere that the decline in circ among Russian Jews at that time was due to the "forced assimilation" during the 20s and 30s in which Russian Jews were pretty much forced to stop practicing their religion.

Here is a link with some history of Russian Jews. Earlier generations were for the most part very religious, "ruling themselves according to halakha" (Jewish Law). Later generations were almost completely secular, not following Jewish Law or custom at all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...e_Soviet_Union
I see. Yes, you're right, I'm aware only about WWII till present time circ situation in Russia.
#29 of 51 Old 04-25-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I see. Yes, you're right, I'm aware only about WWII till present time circ situation in Russia.
Tamagocthi posted some really fascinating information.

If I may add some more:
Being that my Dh is from Russia I'm actually rather familiar with this topic. We actually have a male relative who was given his bris in Russia many years ago (probably around WWII time). It's interesting to note there has been a trend for a number of male Jews in Russia (and those who have emigrated out) to choose to undergo bris at a later age. It's also interesting that many of them who have undegone bris don't even consider themselves to be religious. I personally know a number of men who fall into these categories (although I will admit it makes for unusual table conversation).
#30 of 51 Old 04-26-2007, 12:07 AM

Both my boys got the vit k shots because I was told that asian babies had a higher change of the bleeding problem that vit k prevents.Next time we will do the oral vit k.

As for the circumcision? Over my cold. dead. body would anyone cut a piece of my baby off. Oh, and they'd have to get past my rabidly pro-intact husband too. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page