Change in Barometric Pressure=Time For Baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-26-2007, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone heard of this before? I'm 39w 3d now and we've got a low pressure storm rolling in tonight. The CEO of my company told me a story of how his wife went into labor when a big storm rolled through. Then I had 2 other people mention it to me, too.

I looked it up but all I could find was inconclusive studies. Has anyone else ever heard of the theory that big storms and fronts moving through can kickstart labor? Or am I grasping at straws here? Hehehe...I wanna meet my son!
#2 of 6 Old 04-27-2007, 12:12 AM

I've always heard about that. In fact I even learned about it in college (I'm a semester away from a meteorology degree). Usually it's extreme drops in pressure not just your average storm. So tornadoes, blizzards, hurricanes, etc. I'm sure though if you're not ready to go it's not going to have any effect. Just like a full moon or any of the natural induction methods like sex.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#3 of 6 Old 04-27-2007, 12:41 AM

I just got home from a labor that finished up after two days of heavy, heavy rain. I really believe that the barometric pressure has a lot to do with labor starting -- it seems that I am always attending labors after a big drop in pressure.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#4 of 6 Old 04-27-2007, 12:50 AM

I get contractions and a headache every single time the pressure gets low. With my last two pregnancies it was the worst the last 6 weeks. With my first, my water broke as a low pressure area was coming in. I asked at the hospital the last time I was there, and the nurse said she noticed that a lot of moms end up there when a storm is coming.

People say that it is a full moon, but I tend to think that our bodies are just more sensitive to the barometric pressure. I know that after my dd had surgery on her spinal cord, she would more readily get headaches when the pressure changed. I would collaborate with her, and we would get them at the same time, that was how I put two and two together.
#5 of 6 Old 04-27-2007, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! The storms are still rolling through today. There's hope!
#6 of 6 Old 05-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Yeah I have heard that. Personally I was 39 weeks pregnant during a hurricane and still didnt go into labor. I did have a few ctx but I think it was the stress.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page