Join the Loose vaginas club!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, there really isn't a club yet, but I'm hoping there are enough of you out there who have had a similar experience. Something has happened to me during birth that I don't have much success looking up discreetly online. So, now I reach out to you other mamas and hopefully you'll tell me I'm not the only one with this new...problem? Anyway, I am 5 and 1/2 wks pp. I had a 1st degree tear which I opted not to have stitches for. Anyhow, sometimes when I bend over my vagina sucks in a bunch of air (which is a very weird sensation) and then I have vaginal farts!!!! I am feeling insecure about the new shape of my vaginal opening because I think it is significantly larger than before and it hasn't healed quite right. Does this happen to anyone else after birth??? Does it go away?? Please share with me your pp loose vagina stories and your feelings about it.
Thanks.

p.s. my first birth was a c-section so I had different healing to do.
#2 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 10:51 AM

Kegel kegel kegel

Mama to 3 kiddles. joy.giffencing.gif Doing my best and trying to stay afloat.vbac.gif

#3 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 11:37 AM

I remember that directly postpartum.

And echoing the pp: Kegel Kegel Kegel!
#4 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 12:32 PM

Yes, kegels.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#5 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 12:56 PM

Can I be a part of your club? I don't think anyone can have a vaginal birth and have everything go back exactly to normal. But you are only 5 1/2 weeks PP! It will take some time to tighten up - maybe even up to a year. Kegels are good, and don't worry so much. I guess I have the sense of humor of a five year old, because I think vagina farts and other bodily functions are funny.

Also your thread title cracked me up. There are loose vaginas, and then there are loose vaginas...

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#6 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
5.5 weeks postpartum a lot of things still have yet to go quite back to normal. I gave birth to my 7.5 lb son 21 months ago and I wouldn't say that I have a loose vagina. I like the kegels, they worked well for me.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#7 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride View Post
There are loose vaginas, and then there are loose vaginas...

oh. my.

PP, it's soooo normal, and it will go away!
#8 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 04:23 PM

Normal normal normal!

Hilariously normal!!

I had five big babies and those heads do make a difference. Start kegels lying face down on a pillow and do then in all posistion throughout your day.

It'll all go back. It isn't just the cervix that was stretched and moved, but the fleshy walls inside, the vaginal lips...EVERYTHING needs time to heal, not just the tummy muscles that were stretched and torn

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#9 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post
Normal normal normal!

Hilariously normal!!

I had five big babies and those heads do make a difference. Start kegels lying face down on a pillow and do then in all posistion throughout your day.

It'll all go back. It isn't just the cervix that was stretched and moved, but the fleshy walls inside, the vaginal lips...EVERYTHING needs time to heal, not just the tummy muscles that were stretched and torn
And don't forget all the pelvic ligaments that were loosened and stretched out. They need time to tense back up and start holding everyting more firmly again!

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#10 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 11:29 PM

Um....what if it's been 4 years and it still hasn't gone away? I do kegels, I walk a couple miles a day, but--still flapping in the breeze, if you know what I mean. It's better than it was, but. I had 2nd degree tears and I blame the resident who stitched me up for doing too loose a job.

More kegels? I guess I only do them occasionally. I have just been thinking that this is the way I am now .
#11 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller2 View Post
Um....what if it's been 4 years and it still hasn't gone away? I do kegels, I walk a couple miles a day, but--still flapping in the breeze, if you know what I mean.
Some OB offices have this magnetic chair that you visit 2-3 times per week for several weeks and it performs the kegel exercises aggressively FOR you while you sit. I tried it to get rid of incontinence (which it didn't do, but I am told that's because I am tghe lucky 1% it won't help).

Maybe that will help!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#12 of 15 Old 04-28-2007, 08:30 AM

Every woman needs to kegel many times a day all her life. I know its a pain to remember, but find something that reminds you. I do mine everytime I sit. I mean EVERY time. I pretty much do about 100-200 a day, in batches of 10-20. I've been doing them since I was 16 when I was taught about them.

I also stop and start my urine flow every time I go, just to check. Its a good indicator, but you dont need to do it too much. Make sure you are doing your kegels in the right place by inserting your finger then doing them - you should feel the squeeze if its the right place.

It takes time, but honestly, regular kegels = good pelvic floor. I've had 7 large babies and my pelvic floor is perfect. I have never leaked urine even when sneezing at 42 weeks pregnant.
#13 of 15 Old 04-28-2007, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I feel much better after reading all of your replies!!!! I will kegel, kegel, kegel all day long!!!
Or, at least when I remember to.

Thanks!!!
#14 of 15 Old 04-28-2007, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Kegel at the red lights. There is nothing else to do.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#15 of 15 Old 04-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Joining the club too!
I'm 6 months PP and still things feel different. I feel like I'm more "open" and when I check my cervix, the contours of my vagina have definitely changed. Ah well!

I also have pretty frequent pain still, argh. Kind of an achey radiating pain going towards my sit bones (whatever those are called, can't remember from high school biology). Kind of annoying.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page