I need reassurance to birth a big baby - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 04-29-2007, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Giving you good big baby vibes...I've had many big babies and haven't had any problems (knock on wood or something). I have one client now whose last baby was about 11lbs.

I wouldn't listen to others horror stories or anything. Geez, I've had women have trouble pushing out little babies.

go for it ,pushing is pushing. labor is labor. You'll do fine regardless of size.

That's my pep talk for the day...rah rah rah
#32 of 53 Old 04-29-2007, 07:57 PM

My first was over 9 pounds. The only issues and injuries I had were because I was fearful, tense, and unaware of my body and birth and the birth was very medically managed, and I was on my back.
I don't see a problem with birthing a big baby if the birth is the opposite of the above.

Tell that icky midwife I said "shame on you!"

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#33 of 53 Old 04-29-2007, 08:02 PM

I'm 5'0 & birthed my 9'lber at home. It was SO easy & I didn't even tear.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#34 of 53 Old 04-29-2007, 10:03 PM

DD was 10 lbs 3 oz. Birthed at home.

My home birth midwife knew she would be over 9 lbs. My back up hospital midwife thought I was going to have a "big" 7 pounder (3 days prior to birth). I share this just to reassure you that not all midwives are good at predicting the weight.

You will grow the right size baby for you!

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#35 of 53 Old 04-30-2007, 03:08 AM

Oh my gosh. 9 lbs is too big??? My SIL had a 12-lb baby that came out so fast she didn't even have time to go to the hospital as planned. You're going to get huge. My own DD wasn't huge but I don't think that would have been an issue, honestly.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#36 of 53 Old 04-30-2007, 03:18 AM

I just think that size estimates are iffy anyway. For both of my children, their sizes were estimated at 10-11 lbs and yet they were born only 8 lbs 10 oz. My SIL was told her baby was at least 7 lbs and yet he was only 4 lbs 9 oz. I'm guessing your baby won't be 9 lbs at all and no matter what, you will be just fine. Congrats!
#37 of 53 Old 04-30-2007, 03:49 AM

I don't post much here, but wanted to say that I am glad you replaced your mw. My first hb was a 9 lb 9 oz posterior baby with a 15 inch head, it took 4 pushes to birth him and I had one tiny tear. In December, I had my sweet 10 lb baby uc in the water. Again it took only a few pushes and I had no tearing at all.
#38 of 53 Old 04-30-2007, 03:57 AM

Baby #3, VBAC, 10 pounder! NO TEARS! My midwife did this neato trick after the baby started to crown... she turned me on my side with my knees closer together. Said something about that helping me to not tear.

It was in a hospital, but only went there when I was 9cm dilated, and only because the state of NJ doesn't allow midwives to do HBACs.
#39 of 53 Old 04-30-2007, 04:03 AM

#1 was 9lb. Horrible hospital labour, hours of pushing. Nothing to do with the size, but due to all the interventions Some tearing.
#2 was 10lb 4oz. I can't recall, but I think about 15-20 mins pushing. No tearing.
#3 was 10lb 8 oz. I do recall. He took less then 2 pushes. No tearing.

Think about it - it's the head you need to push out. My babies' heads were not significantly bigger than if they'd been 8lbers. Your body makes a baby that you can push out.

My big ones were far easier to push out than the 9lber, anyway! Fat is squishy!!! How many rolls of fat they have on their thighs makes no difference whatsoever to how long they take to come out!
#40 of 53 Old 04-30-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2conor View Post
I don't post much here, but wanted to say that I am glad you replaced your mw. My first hb was a 9 lb 9 oz posterior baby with a 15 inch head, it took 4 pushes to birth him and I had one tiny tear. In December, I had my sweet 10 lb baby uc in the water. Again it took only a few pushes and I had no tearing at all.
Wow, thats a bigger head than my first. His was one centimeter less.

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#41 of 53 Old 04-30-2007, 11:10 AM

Well, I am glad that this is your EX midwife. Don't give into the fear! I did when my CNM told me I had to have a c-section for a big baby (no labor "allowed"). In my late pregnant state, I forgot that I had two cousins that were born, vaginally at 9 and 10 pounds, by my short aunts. Why? Because women in my family grow em big and therefore we can birth them big. Growing a big baby means that you took good care of your baby and fed it right. My future midwife (for my future VBAC, planning to TTC next year) isn't scared of big babies at all, she delivers them at home or in her free standing birth center all the time.
You can birth this baby, it is the perfect size for your body.
#42 of 53 Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 PM

size estimates don't impress me, unless the baby is already here.

don't let THE IDEA of a big baby psych you out. the baby, for all anyone knows, could be 7 or 8 pounds.

but here's my "i had a big baby" piece of encouragement: 11lb 1 oz, at home, about 5 minutes of pushing. 3rd kid. road well-paved.
#43 of 53 Old 05-03-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
This was my inspiration in the last weeks of pregnancy:

http://www.sacredsource.com/images/BZ-SHE.JPG
That is a *great* image. That blissful look on her face!
#44 of 53 Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 AM

I have a good friend who birthed a 13.5 lb. baby boy at home My last two babies were two entire pounds heavier than my hospital birthed baby, and their births were a million times better because I was where I could do what I needed to do to birth them without tearing or interference I felt safe and loved and comfortable. IME, bigger babies are squishier...and squishy is good

You can do it---no matter what size

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#45 of 53 Old 05-04-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
egads, what kind of midwife says that? that's horrible.
I thought only drs who want to push for c/s used that excuse, but a midwife? At only 9 #'s?
Mine's 'posed to be big too, and I hope he/she is! I'm only 5'4", but my midwife has no prob with that.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#46 of 53 Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 AM

I had a 10lb1oz baby at home! It was awesome!
#47 of 53 Old 05-04-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

My son was born this morning at home. Labor only lasted 30 min and he only weighed 8 lb 12 oz. He was an unplanned UC, my midwife arrived an hour later. He clearly did not get stuck. I didn't even really push, I let my body do the work. I did not tear and from the time I felt my body pushing to the time he was out was only 3 minutes. I admit, I was thinking of the photo of the statue when I started labor, I think there is something to it.

Thank you again for your support, I know it made all the difference!

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

#48 of 53 Old 05-04-2007, 09:39 PM

Yay! Congratulations!!!
#49 of 53 Old 05-05-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthezoo View Post
My son was born this morning at home. Labor only lasted 30 min and he only weighed 8 lb 12 oz. He was an unplanned UC, my midwife arrived an hour later. He clearly did not get stuck. I didn't even really push, I let my body do the work. I did not tear and from the time I felt my body pushing to the time he was out was only 3 minutes. I admit, I was thinking of the photo of the statue when I started labor, I think there is something to it.

Thank you again for your support, I know it made all the difference!

Congratulations and welcome to your new guy.

That's wonderful news! :

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#50 of 53 Old 05-05-2007, 02:04 AM

congratulations!
#51 of 53 Old 05-05-2007, 02:06 AM

How does your midwife know how big your baby will be?? Do not listen to her - what if you end up birthing a 6 pounder? All that worrying for nothing. I've heard of so many docs trying to predict the baby's size and being really off.

I know this isn't THAT big, but I birthed an 8-pound baby at home and I am pretty tiny - I weighed 100 pounds before I got pregnant. I did have some tearing, but only because I pushed like crazy during one contraction. Like everyone else said - our bodies are meant to do this. You will do great!
#52 of 53 Old 05-05-2007, 02:16 AM

My ds was 10#5oz born at home. The labor was 12 easy hours. His shoulders did get a little stuck but the mw adjusted him and out he came. I had a little tear that didn't need stitching.
I knew he was going to be around 10# (I guessed his birth weight to the ounce the day before he was born) and warned the midwives (v. the other way around!) and they thought 10# + at home would be no problem. I'm so glad you're looking for a new mw-you need support not discouragment now!
#53 of 53 Old 05-05-2007, 02:05 PM

One of my acquaintances was trying to scare me out of home birth, and she said 'what if the baby weighs like 15 lbs?!?!'

And I said, 'Who's ever heard of a 15 lb baby?' (honestly, that is rather alarming to me.)

An her response was 'My Great-Grandma's 3rd child was 15 lbs, she had 7 kids! Can you imagine?!'

And I said, 'did your grandma have a c-section?'

And suddenly she realized, that she had a relative who had given birth at home to 7 kids, one of whom weighed 15 lbs, and she lived to be 95. Silly worry-warts. Your baby will be beautiful, and perfectly sized, just as nature intended.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page