#1 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#2 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 06:58 PM

Eh, I'm a big baby when I'm on my period. I gave birth naturally. It means nothing. Even if the pains are similar, labor and birth is such a totally different kind of pain.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#3 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 06:59 PM

If your periods aren't usually like that, my guess is that you might be having a miscarriage. That sounds like the pain I have with my two miscarriages. I've read that 40% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, sometimes the mother didn't know she was pregnant.

And don't worry, each labor is often different so even if you have one tough labor, that doesn't mean your next one will be. Also, sometimes miscarriage pain is far worse than that of labor, or at least that's what some moms who have experienced both have said.

Don't give up hope! You can do it!
#4 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 PM

Meh, I seem more sensitive to pain when Aunt Flo is here.

And FWIW, you get no reward for putting up with AF pain, but you do for labor pain. Your mind processes it differently.
#5 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

#6 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 07:22 PM

AF generally sends me to sleep on the cold tile of the bathroom floor, with the toilet close by. Labor was hard work, but the contractions weren't anywhere near as painful as my period. The sciatica which accompanied each contraction was a different story, but I knew it would be over soon. Different mindset, I suppose.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#7 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 07:27 PM

Count me in as another AF wimp, but successful natural birther. They're not mutually exclusive!
#8 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 07:38 PM

I have had horrible AF pain in the past, equivalent to early labor sensations. I wish I'd taken it as an opportunity to learn coping methods, if I'd only known, it could have been a chance to "practise" dealing with it.

You might want to read Active Birth by Janet Balaskas, and also there are some ideas that you can start using before you are ever pg in Birthing From Within - I've used their Non-Focused Awareness tool and also deep relaxation successfully for pain. There's also Hypnobabies.

And anyway, when you have AF pain, there's usually nobody there with you supporting you, cheering you on and reminding you there's an amazing reward at the end, wouldn't that be nice
#9 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 08:18 PM

It's different. For one, you learn how to listen to your body and make yourself more comfortable. For another thing, you know you're doing what's best for your baby, and that there's a PRIZE at the end (a drug-free baby). With you period, it's just cramps and blood, no prize. Not to mention how hormones work during labor, your mental state, etc. There are more differences than similarities.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#10 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 08:28 PM

I agree with the PPs who said it's totally different. I went through labor and delivery and the contractions afterwards were worse, I thought. I've had period cramps that were much harder to deal with than labor. And I was in labor 21 hours from the time I woke up with strong ctrx until DS was born

Don't give up! You can do it

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#11 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 08:33 PM

Completely different. Period cramps tend to be more constant than labor contractions, for one thing. If you get bad cramps, it's like being in transition all day. Most of labor is spaced out and less relentless.
#12 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
ETA: Since someone mentioned it, no, my periods are never like this! I always get the same type of pain, but it's never been anywhere near this bad.
I had a period like that once before. A few years ago I woke up in the middle of the night CRYING from period pain. Sometimes I get faint cramps, but RARELY anything remotely painful and this was EXCRUCIATING. I somehow made it down to my bathroom (I lived in the attic) and ripped it apart looking for Aleve or Advil or ANYTHING. A hammer would have been handy. I rolled around in my bed in total misery and no position helped. I somehow managed to fall back asleep and all pain was gone by the time I woke up in the morning.
#13 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 09:35 PM

I'm a big fan of using positive language to manifest ones goals. Try saying I know I am capable of having the birth experience I have always dreamed of. If you are ttc now by the time labor comes around you will have been giving yourself this lovely message for nice length of time. Our bodies believe our words. You CAN give birth naturally!
#14 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 PM

I used to have really, really, awful periods.

In labor, I kept waiting for labor to get as painful as my period cramps.

When it finally did, my water broke and I was ready to push.

Many of the coping techniques I developed over the years to deal with cramps were VERY useful in dealing with labor.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#15 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
I used to have really, really, awful periods.

In labor, I kept waiting for labor to get as painful as my period cramps.

When it finally did, my water broke and I was ready to push.

Many of the coping techniques I developed over the years to deal with cramps were VERY useful in dealing with labor.
ITA with the pp!

I had a client who had REALLY bad periods. With her first baby, she was planning birth with an epidural because she "knew" she was a wimp with pain, since she had such a hard time every month. When she went into labor, by the time she realized that the contractions were not going to get as bad as her monthly pains, she was complete and pushing. She's an absolute convert to natural birth and has had two more without pain meds since the first one!

You will do great!
#16 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 10:26 PM

I think the pain is different. There is a certain rhythm to labor- contractions are usually have a set pattern and you can prepare for it mentally, whereas cramps come and go at any time. Plus, labor was not all about pain for me, many times I just felt intense pressure especially towards the end.

Plus, you will be in a different state of mind during labor. You will have grown life inside of you for 9 months- you would be surprised what hidden strength you will have when the time comes.

Dont give up on the idea just yet! Trust me, you will be able to do it when the time comes.
#17 of 50 Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 PM

Alright, I'm going to go against the wave and say, my births were MUCH more painful than af.

However, I was and still am, a big wimp about pain. My periods used to leave me on the floor crying to my mom to "save me, help me, kill me". Seriously. But I made the decision to give birth naturally and within the millions of great reasons why was the fact that epidurals HURT to be put in. Sometimes they have to try over and over. No WAY was I going to let someone do that to me The fact that they hurt is what led me to read "Misconceptions" which led me to give birth naturally.

So just because you can't deal with period pain is no reason to not give birth naturally. Also, my periods hurt a lot less since having my kids. Used to take Midol, I had to have something throughout the first half of my period or I'd "die" Now I get a little uncomfy and sometimes wish I would take some meds but I don't and they don't hinder me.

ETA: When I had my m/c it was so painful. I took meds trying to ease the pain and when they wore off I almost had a conniption in the waiting room of the hospital (they were ignoring me). I then took meds throughout the entire thing (week or so?) So I agree, when you know you're getting a baby at the end, it is different.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#18 of 50 Old 05-24-2007, 02:41 AM

It's different because you are doing NCB for your baby. Knowing that will give you strength you need to get through it, at least that was what kept me going.
#19 of 50 Old 05-24-2007, 04:54 AM

I used to have really, really bad period cramps and be laid up for 2 days in bed moaning thinking that if only I could stab myself in the stomach, the cramps would go away. I would even occ. take percocet or other perscription narcotics when I had them.

I gave birth to my son in august 2005(first birth) completely naturally. The big difference between period cramps and contraction: 1. labor pains go away, the break between contractions was almost heavenly and 2. I got a baby from my labor pains.

I'm 24 weeks along with my 3rd child and 2nd pregnancy and am so looking forward to giving birth. I have always said I had a low pain tolerance, but it's much better after having given birth. Best thing that helped me give birth naturally was to do it away from the option of an epidural, homebirth is the way to go!

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#20 of 50 Old 05-24-2007, 05:08 AM

Don't worry, your baby will be the driving force keeping you going!~ It's amazing, you just pull the strength up from somewhere, and suddenly you'e through it, holding your little one in your arms. Don't resign yourself to the fact you won't be able to handle it... not true. You'll surprise yourself, trust me
#21 of 50 Old 05-24-2007, 08:19 AM

Oh, my births were *definitely* more painful than AF. I hope I didn't imply otherwise. It's just too different to compare. I'm happy to reach for an Advil or 3 the first couple of days of my period. I used to get cramps that kept me home from school when I was a teenager, but labor was till more painful. It was just very DIFFERENT. It's kind of like, what hurts more, labor or a migraine? Well, they're very different and impossible to compare - labor isn't like ANYTHING else you will ever go through.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#22 of 50 Old 05-24-2007, 10:08 AM

I've had period pains that I'd choose labour over!! Seriously.. being on your period can make you so sensitive even you skin hurts and you just feel so wimpy and vulnerable. Have you ever played sports? Or trained physically to a high degree? If you've ever played soccer for example, thinking about how you feel when you're in the middle of a game, your adrenaline is rushing your muscles are pumped and you're running as hard as you can after the ball and collide with someone and go flying into a CRAZY tumble where you wipe out with multiple grazes etc. You barely feel it. Ok later in the week you're limping and covered in bruises and sores but at the time it's nothing, it's exhilarating.. the same thing (imo) happens in labour. It's definitely not comparable to dealing with pain in a normal state.
#23 of 50 Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 AM

My DD always experienced horrible cramps with her period. When she was having her baby, the nurse kept offering her an epidural, which she kept refusing. The anesthesiologist came in, and in typical anesthesiologist fashion, told her she had to get the epidural now or it would be too late. My DD, who by this point was as annoyed as can be after arguing with him for 15minutes during transitional labour, shouted, "I've had f***ing period cramps worse than this! I didn't see you offering me an epidural then, did I?"

So he left, and the nurse backed off. She turned to me, grabbed my hand, and said, "Mommy, can I have a Tylenol? This really hurts!"

She had the baby less than 15 minutes later.
#24 of 50 Old 05-24-2007, 10:41 AM

One of the reasons that I chose to give birth naturally, and will do so again, is because, to be completely truthful, I am terrified of the pain involved in hospital "assistance". I had a spinal (which is much like an epidural but higher on the spine) and a large gage IV put in my hand. Because I had all of these things (along with a catheter that took 3 tries to be put in because the nurse was inept, and being very cold, and a dozen other discomforts I could list) all I remember about the birth is how much it hurt and how uncomfortable it was. With my next child I chose to have her at home, w/ just my DH in attendence. Labor was almost enjoyable, because it was a mix of the contractions and the excitement of knowing the time was almost upon us. The hard part of my home birth lasted about 20-30 minutes, during transition and pushing. The hard part of my hospital birth lasted from the first blood test until the moment they released me from all of the machines after the birth (not counting the years of after effects of having ended up w/ a cesarean)

Imagine the difference between having pain, and being forced to lie still in a cold room with needles poked in you, and having pain. Also you have to factor in the added interventions that go along with an epidural, as well as the humiliating things about hospital birth that many nurses and doctors take for granted. For me, pain is much easier to handle if I can move around into the most comfortable positions for it, which is pretty hard to do in most hospital settings, especially when they have you set up on an IV and planning an epi.
#25 of 50 Old 05-24-2007, 11:58 AM

I would always have to take Advil for period cramps b/c they were so bad and I also worried that I wouldn't be able to give brith w/o drugs b/c I 'wimped out' every month and took the Advil.

Well, I've had NCB twice and am about to do it again. As pps have said, the two are not the same at all. I never had any break in period cramps, but there are breaks during contractions. PLus, depending on things like the position of the baby and relaxation of the mother, contractions aren't necessarily painful -- intense, yes, but not always painful.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#26 of 50 Old 05-25-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
I had a period like that once before. A few years ago I woke up in the middle of the night CRYING from period pain. Sometimes I get faint cramps, but RARELY anything remotely painful and this was EXCRUCIATING. I somehow made it down to my bathroom (I lived in the attic) and ripped it apart looking for Aleve or Advil or ANYTHING. A hammer would have been handy. I rolled around in my bed in total misery and no position helped. I somehow managed to fall back asleep and all pain was gone by the time I woke up in the morning.

Me too. Just one time. When I did get pregnant, a cyst was found. (It eventually went away on its own during my successful pregnancy) I think that might be what caused all the pain. Something to look in to...

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#27 of 50 Old 05-25-2007, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

#28 of 50 Old 05-25-2007, 11:19 AM

I was thinking about this post in the shower this morning. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but I always take an Aleve as soon as my period comes (before the crams start) so I started to wonder if I was actually kidding myself about natural childbirth.

Then I thought of it this way. What if I didn't have to go to work/clean the house/study/work on my thesis/etc. and I could sit in bed and drink refreshing beverages and eat fruit and visualize getting rid of the cramps? Would they be so bad then?
#29 of 50 Old 05-25-2007, 11:53 AM

I have bad/heavy/painful periods when not on BCP.

I never worried about my ability to birth without pain meds, htough. The two just never connected for me, I guess.

I got to 100% effaced and 4 cms dialated before ever even feeling a single contraction. I had my baby 2 hours later with no pain meds.

It can totally be dopne, but you need to be in the mental space to do it. If you think you can't, then you're right, you won't be able to. But if you believe in your body's ability to birth naturally, and trust your body, and have good support, you can give yourself a much better chance to do it naturally.
#30 of 50 Old 05-25-2007, 12:22 PM

Slightly ot, but if you keep having early losses maybe you should be checked for hypothyroid and pcos. It would be a good idea to at least get progesterone looked at while you're m/cing to see if that's a factor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page