Group B strep: A very unfortunate part of my labor - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 06-08-2007, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was GBS+ before labour as well. I remember reading a story of a woman in NZ, where antibiotics are given routinely to every labouring woman, regardless of GBS status, whose baby died anyway of GBS. IN SPITE of antibiotics.

There are no guarantees.

In the end (I also had a homebirth) I decided to go on antibiotics if more than 12 hours passed after my water had broken and my labour hadn't started. As it happened, my baby was born 5 hours after my water broke so I never had them. She was fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 06-08-2007, 04:31 PM

I can't be bothered editing, so I'll just add here:

I'm not minimizing what happened to you at all. If I were in your shoes, I would probably feel the same way. But it's clear there is no magic bullet for GBS, sadly.
#33 of 52 Old 06-08-2007, 04:33 PM

GBS is a hot topic. I tested positive in my last pregnancy and my (homebirth) midwife (in Washington state they are licensed or certified professional midwifes) felt very strongly that antibiotics should be used. I had a Heplock and took 2 doses.

Every homebirth midwife I've spoken to strongly advises antibiotics. The risk is low, but if it was YOUR baby, it would be tremendous.

#34 of 52 Old 06-08-2007, 04:41 PM

Gabs: I'm so sorry that happened to you . Did you test positive for GBS, as well? What troubles me is that the testing and treatment seems so arbitrary: you can test negative for GBS but then be positive at the time of labor (and not be given abx) or test positive but be negative a the time of labor (and given abx anyway). Or test positive in one pregnancy but negative in the next and STILL be given abx. I've been reading about a faster test that can be done right before or during labor, which leads me to wonder why it isn't widely used yet...
#35 of 52 Old 06-08-2007, 04:42 PM

Not so here.

I had the actual research at the time, courtesy of the midwives, and it wasn't clear that antibiotics made that much of a difference unless there were certain risk factors at play (> greater than 12 hours since water broke before labour started, etc). I remember one study talked about the risk of GBS becoming antibiotic resistant due to overuse of antibiotics. Another issue was the effect of such doses of antibiotics on a newborn.

Yeah, it really doesn't seem that black and white to me. Do your research.
#36 of 52 Old 06-08-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
I birth my babies unassisted, with GSB. I treat it by using herbs to boost my immune system. It can be done.
This was me too. I argued with my Doc at 38 weeks after testing positive, after my 36 week appt. I refused the antibiotics - he told me to find another doc. I did. My husband. I was prepared for a UC because my first labour was really short and I new I might have one even if I didn't want it. Which I did want but I kept seeing the doc up to that point as a back up. I took the Probiotics, Vitamin C, and Garlic for 1 week 4 days after I found out I was positive. DS was fine.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#37 of 52 Old 06-08-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Not so here.

I had the actual research at the time, courtesy of the midwives, and it wasn't clear that antibiotics made that much of a difference unless there were certain risk factors at play (> greater than 12 hours since water broke before labour started, etc). I remember one study talked about the risk of GBS becoming antibiotic resistant due to overuse of antibiotics. Another issue was the effect of such doses of antibiotics on a newborn.

Yeah, it really doesn't seem that black and white to me. Do your research.
Yes we are creating antibiotic resistant strains of gbs now.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#38 of 52 Old 06-08-2007, 08:17 PM

Resistant strains are a risk for very low birthweight infants. this is due to the fact that many have multiple exposures prior to birth as infection is often the cause of pre term labor. It's very rarely a problem with big term kiddos. (again, info from conference)

Organisms can become reisitant to anything you expose them to without killling off every single one of them. I predict a huge number of hand sanitizer resistant bugs evolving.
#39 of 52 Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 PM

I planned a UC but ended up in the hospital with pre-e. They tested me as I was admitted since I was 35w 5 days and hadn't been tested yet. I was positive. They gave me the abx but DS was born 4 hours later, so technically it wasn't long enough for him to get them. Because I was tested right before DS was born, I KNOW I was pos. when I gave birth. The abx didn't have time to take effect and yet he was still perfectly fine, even being a PREEMIE. *gasp* What we did end up with was 2 months of thrush that wouldn't go away and did a lot of damage to our nursing relationship.

Needless to say, my next baby will be a UC and there will be no abx.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#40 of 52 Old 06-08-2007, 09:10 PM

My grandmother broke her hip a few months ago and picked up MRSA in the hospital from her surgery. She was very, very ill. She is still very, very ill. She will probably never truly recover and was just hospitalized again today with complications. Her surgical site STILL has not closed and healed, due to the infection.

This is what happens when we hand out antibiotics to every Tom, Dick, and Harry. They don't work when we really need them.

Antibiotics should be saved for people who really need them. Solely testing positive for GBS is not a good enough reason.
#41 of 52 Old 06-11-2007, 01:41 PM

I tested positive with my DC. I had a fast labor and the abx were not in prior to four hours-in fact-barely any were in at all. DS was just fine.

GBS is scary, but there is no way to determine which babies are at risk and which ones aren't absent known risk factors (<37 weeks, fever, ruptured membranes more than 24 hours). Abx carry their own side effects and potential problems.

I don't think there will ever be a perfect solution-however we are creating an even larger problem by freely handing out abx to most laboring women. If GBS becomes resistant we're in for a much bigger issue given there won't be as much we can do for the very small percentage of babies that do get sick.
#42 of 52 Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccmama07 View Post
If GBS becomes resistant we're in for a much bigger issue given there won't be as much we can do for the very small percentage of babies that do get sick.

A very important point.

-Angela
#43 of 52 Old 06-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What's so interesting is how we choose to use antbx to bombard and kill off all our healthy flora in addition to the bacteria - and it seems that we're just messing up our system totally!

I am a midwife that doesn't ADVISE antibx. Antibx can create some issues, like thrush or an allergic reaction, in higher incidences than the risk of a healthy full term baby getting GBS infection. If a client of mine wants antibiotics, we can get oral antbx around her due date, but I really advise treating your whole body system - using probiotics and nutrition. It's up to my clients to decide what risks they are comfortable with - not me.

We are headed for some serious, serious issues with all our routine antibx exposure - from labor to postpartum to ear infections with children. It's only been 60 years since antibx have been available - and we've overused them to the point of putting our health and lives at risk.
#44 of 52 Old 06-11-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyofwills View Post
I feel your attitude! But if you DID have GBS, isn't that critical for baby? Wouldn't it be best to test for it so you can do something about it?
I have been positive and everything turned out fine.
Funny thing is with my first two they didn't even test for it and that was only 14 & 12 years ago. GBS has been around probably forever so it's easy to see how the fear mongering really works. Women are terrified of it now and they didn't even tell us about it 'back then'.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#45 of 52 Old 06-11-2007, 02:35 PM

nevermind

love.gif

#46 of 52 Old 06-15-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
Antibiotics should be saved for people who really need them. Solely testing positive for GBS is not a good enough reason.
I agree 100%.
#47 of 52 Old 06-15-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
We are headed for some serious, serious issues with all our routine antibx exposure - from labor to postpartum to ear infections with children. It's only been 60 years since antibx have been available - and we've overused them to the point of putting our health and lives at risk.

It's amazing how many mothers I meet who are dealing with severe thrush virtually right from the beginning of breastfeeding. I'm sure it's a variety of complex issues (diet, pumps, etc) but abx are certainly part of the problem. It seems like they're handed out like candy at some practices.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#48 of 52 Old 06-15-2007, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Yes we are creating antibiotic resistant strains of gbs now.
For the record, my labor pains did not start until they put me on pitocin, 12 hours after my water broke.

P.S. Pitocin is evil.

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#49 of 52 Old 06-16-2007, 10:43 PM

I tested positive with my 3rd and did a special herbal suppository that was created to treat the gbs and tested again and it was gone : I thought that was a creat alternative to automatic anitbiotics for labor. I still treated my gbs and was able to get it to go away. This was in a birth center a regular ob probably would not have let me try the herbs or at least would have still treated me as positive evan after the next test was negative.:

SAHM to wonderful hubby of 13 yrs and 3 boys age 10,7,and 4 and our new little girl 5mo ::::
#50 of 52 Old 06-16-2007, 10:57 PM

I tested positive with my first and was on IV at birth center. Fun. (Maybe why I've had HBs ever since??) I didn't know any better.

Since then, I've requested that my midwives culture my vagina and my rectum seperately (since GBS colonizes in intestines as well). This resulted in a negative culture with my second. With my third, I refused all testing since my births tend to be less than 4 hrs anyway, what's the point? I also did more research and realized exactly what Angela said...I was showing no symptoms/risk factors.

I don't buy the hype. Yes it's something that exists. Yes it's something that can have a bad outcome. There are things you can do. There are options, but no guarantees no matter what you do, how or where you birth. Given that, I'd rather err on the side of caution and stay out of hospitals and keep antibiotics OUT of my new baby's body.
#51 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcqabigler View Post
I tested positive with my 3rd and did a special herbal suppository that was created to treat the gbs and tested again and it was gone : I thought that was a creat alternative to automatic anitbiotics for labor. I still treated my gbs and was able to get it to go away. This was in a birth center a regular ob probably would not have let me try the herbs or at least would have still treated me as positive evan after the next test was negative.:
That gives me hope

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#52 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

I'm sorry your experience was bad.

This is why I:

1. won't test for GBS
2. won't birth in a hospital short of an emergency
and
3. would refuse antibiotics in labor without serious risk factors.

-Angela
I take lots of probiotics during pregnancy.

I also have no risk factors , my water has always broken in labor, I dont have preterm labors and I have had GBS in the past (that we know of, never been tested)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page