Alittle confused? "Options" given at a hospital birth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 06-10-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a hospital birth with my son & when/if I didnt want something done they didnt make me do it. Reading some of the posts on here has made me think that maybe this is not the case for all women...

So my question is: if a doctor at the hospital wants you to do something you dont want, cant you say "no"?
#2 of 63 Old 06-10-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMoM2GTO View Post
So my question is: if a doctor at the hospital wants you to do something you dont want, cant you say "no"?
Well, the short answer is "Yes, you can decline anything you want" but in reality it's a little more complicated than that.

In some cases, hospital personnel threaten (or actually do) call CPS if you try to refuse certain treatments. I have heard of some cases where a judge has actually removed custody of a newborn from his or her parents when they've tried to decline some standard procedures.

Other times, hospitals and care providers simply say, "We do xyz procedure it this way" and don't open the discussion to other options. Many moms never know that xyz procedure may not have to be done at all or that they could request it be delayed or completed in a different manner.

Another thing that many hcps don't discuss ahead of time is that laboring moms are often very susceptible to the suggestions of others. If labor is taking a long time (for example) and you are feeling tired, your OB may say "You've been at this a long time, let's do a c/s." Most moms are not in a place mentally or emotionally to ask questions or fight such a statement at that point, especially if they trust their doctor to do only what is best for the mom and baby.

Just some other scenarios to consider.

Amy

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#3 of 63 Old 06-10-2007, 01:42 AM

Another thing to consider: some women are really compliant during labor/birth. I'm one of those women. I really wanted to stand/squat to give birth to my second child. I was standing and laboring effectively (from my point of view) next to the bed and starting to push uncoached when my water broke. Suddenly everybody was breaking down the bed, trying to get me into the bed (in the lithotomy position), wanting a fetal monitor on me. None of it was what I really wanted, but I went along with it. Laborland is like that for me. Yeah, I could have said NO, but I didn't. My DH even tried to tell them I didn't want to do it that way, and I told him it was ok and shushed him! The staff wasn't forcing anything on me, they were just doing things they way they're used to doing them, and from their point of view, I willingly went along with it.

Labor makes me a less assertive person. Yeah, I had options, and could have fought for them, but I didn't because I wasn't capable of doing so in that moment.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#4 of 63 Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

It is very difficult to argue with a determined nurse/doctor when you are in the middle of transition, unfortunately.
#5 of 63 Old 06-10-2007, 11:09 AM

You can ABSOLUTELY decline anything. If they choose to fight you on it, YOU are in the right, NOT them. They have no right to force any proceedures on you OR your baby. You can definitely have an empowered birth where YOU make the choices, and not them.

Unfortunately as PPs said, it might be a battle. I would not expect a judge to take away your rights (thats a very very extreme case) but I would expect anything ranging from a discussion w/ the nurses/doctors to a downright hostile experience. Its worth it though, IMO to get the birth that you want.
#6 of 63 Old 06-10-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
...So my question is: if a doctor at the hospital wants you to do something you dont want, cant you say "no"?
IF the doctor or nurse at the hospital or home TELLS you what (s)he wants to do, you have every right to refuse it. Unfortunately some medical (un)professionals figure if they don't ask you won't refuse.

During vag exams medicos have aggressively stripped membranes without women's foreknowledge or consent. I had a midwife *accidentally* rupture my membranes during my first dilation check. That same midwife spiked my tea with both blue & black cohosh without my knowledge of permission. In hospitals just like in bars, for women's safety, they should only drink things they've seen opened or watched prepared from beginning to end. (It's corollary is why why heplocks are safer than IVs.) If the drink leaves their sight they should get another new one instead of drinking from the old. Women have had pitocin added to their IVs without their knowledge or consent. I know one woman whose midwife, without informing her first let alone getting consent, manually and forcibly dilated her from 8cm to 10cm to attach the vacuum extractor to her baby's head because she "cared for her so much (she) didn't want to see her in any more pain." Many attendants perform episiotomies, cut cords, suction babies, perform cord traction and even manually remove placentas without women's knowledge or consent. There are a lot of birth attendants out there who have great reputations and high standing in their communities and still behave monstrously.

While I'm very glad you were never victimized in such a way, I think it's important to warn women about common practices so they won't be caught off guard.

~BV
#7 of 63 Old 06-10-2007, 12:03 PM

Sometimes in the heat of things the drs start laying on the "you are putting your baby's life at risk". Now I was pretty educated (but certainly not the most educated) first time mother and they got me with that one. I had been in the hospital for 48 hrs and was very resistant to the pit they wanted to give me. I was even talking about checking myself out AMA, then the dr came in and gave me that speech. What was I to do? He does have more formal education than me. So I caved. Thank God the induction didn't hurt dd and she came out fine. This time I am with a different practice and I trust them alot more. Plus, my labor support person is the wife of an MD and has had 10 births 8 of which were hospital births (other 2 were birth center). So, I have tried to put things in place so that this won't happen to me again.

So, in my case it isn't as if they held me down and did something against my will, but I do feel that I was bullied.

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#8 of 63 Old 06-10-2007, 12:35 PM

Most hospitals don't offer options, they come into your room and tell you what they are going to do (if you are lucky, they at least warn you) but they don't ASK your permission, they assume by your presence there that you are going to let them do whatever they want. In my experience in hospitals both during childbirth and for various family member's surgeries, it's more like, "We are going to do XYZ now", or "It's time for XYZ now". I've never once heard a nurse or doctor ask the patient if they wanted the procedure.
#9 of 63 Old 06-10-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I had a hospital birth with my son & when/if I didnt want something done they didnt make me do it.
I'd be curious to know what sort of choices those were? This is the reason we opted for a homebirth this time because we weren't able to make the choices we wanted and when talking to the obs during this pregnancy we were trying to find out just how much say and control we had... went round and round on various issues and scenarios and it just came down to the only *real* choice we had was whether we wanted to walk through the hospital doors or not. Some things just are really not an option at the hospital here... like absolutely no food if you are in labor, you have to have an IV if your water broke already... some things it just depends whose there on how tough a battle you might have (there were a few things I was not given a choice on where I know some others with a different staff were able to choose differently... this was one of the things I discussed with the OBs about requesting a different nurse, even that's not always an option).
#10 of 63 Old 06-10-2007, 01:13 PM

With my first birth i didn't question anything and just went along with all the procedures that they did. Fortunately there wasn't anything done that was against my beliefs at the time. I did refuse an episiotomy. My Doc just said he was going to "cut because I was getting a little tight." Uh Yah I'm pushing out a baby. I just said no I prefer to rip and he didn't cut. But they way he said it was a statement not a question. If I didn't know I could say "no" I would have ended up cut. If I was to do it again I would have refuse a few more things now that I know differently.

With my second birth I refused alot of the routine testing during pregnancy and by 38 weeks when I refuse to agree to antibiotics during labour my doc told me to find another doctor as I obviously didn't trust his abilities.

Luckily I wasn't planning on using him anyway as I was planning on a UC.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#11 of 63 Old 06-10-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Wow this all is really enlightening to me :

I guess in a sence I can relate some of it but I didnt feel pushed into it at the time. This time around I am not planning on hospital care, I was just wondering other's experiences.

Thanks all!
#12 of 63 Old 06-10-2007, 08:56 PM

This is a good thread for me,as I *have* to have my baby in the hospital due to being high risk (placenta previa,still waiting to hear whether or not I have to have a CS) .
I have a question: Do most hospitals still decline to allow women to eat/drink during labor? I went on a hospital tour the other day & I heard mention of "ice chips for Mom"... and I'm thinking..." ahhh...so we will be sneaking the drinks THIS time,too??? " NO WAY am I going thru labor w/out a drink. I am liable to start THROWING the blankety-blank ice chips!! :
#13 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

When I was in labor with my son, they encouraged me to drink as much water as I wanted. No food, though (except jello :Puke)
#14 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I had a hospital birth with my son & when/if I didnt want something done they didnt make me do it. Reading some of the posts on here has made me think that maybe this is not the case for all women...

Sure but you really aren't in the position to stop it if they do something. I said I didn't want an episiotomy. The DR was going to cut me anyway and the L&D nurse stopped her. I wouldn't have known it was happening until it was too late. It wasn't like she said, "Hey can I cut you right now?" she was just going to do it.
#15 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie37 View Post
This is a good thread for me,as I *have* to have my baby in the hospital due to being high risk (placenta previa,still waiting to hear whether or not I have to have a CS) .
I have a question: Do most hospitals still decline to allow women to eat/drink during labor? I went on a hospital tour the other day & I heard mention of "ice chips for Mom"... and I'm thinking..." ahhh...so we will be sneaking the drinks THIS time,too??? " NO WAY am I going thru labor w/out a drink. I am liable to start THROWING the blankety-blank ice chips!! :
I attended a birth with a friend in January and her hospital fed her the entire time. The one I was at in Febuary they didn't feed her. My own I didn't want to eat my labor was short and intense. I demanded food before my doctor left the room though.
#16 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie37 View Post
I have never heard of a hospital that allowed food during labour - not even in Denmark where hospitals are so baby friendly. The max. I was allowed to have was a bit of red juice for the sugar kick, but that was it! I really doubt any hospital in US allows food. My last labour was the only one I had after eating well (I ordered ribs and fries) and it was AMAZING how wonderfully I was able to cope! I highly recommend it to anyone! My midwife at the birth center just said: "you don't send a farmer to the fields after ice chips!

ETA - On my hospital birth in the US, they lied, threatened and scared me in order to get me to do everything they wanted. It was amazing at how low they would go to get me to comply. Just one of the reasons why I am praying I will never put my feet in a hospital to give birth again!
#17 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 01:09 AM

I said no to lots of things during my hospital birth. Or at least delayed the things I wanted delayed - like the routine newborn screenings which they wanted to take baby for and I had them done while she was on my chest or after about 15 minutes.
#18 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryonyvaughn View Post
IF the doctor or nurse at the hospital or home TELLS you what (s)he wants to do, you have every right to refuse it. Unfortunately some medical (un)professionals figure if they don't ask you won't refuse.
Yes. I went in wanting a natural birth with my first but was naive in thinking wanting it was enough. I had not planned for the deception and the outright lies I got from medical staff. Thinking that they had my best interest at heart, I followed the ridiculous "do not eat" rule throughout my labor. I was given pitocin without my knowledge and an internal fetal monitor was placed without my knowledge and who knows what else was done that I couldn't decipher in my medical records. Finally, the "dead baby" card was played and I submitted to a csection. After reviewing my medical records it was clear it was extremely unneccessary, both mom and baby were perfectly healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryonyvaughn View Post
While I'm very glad you were never victimized in such a way, I think it's important to warn women about common practices so they won't be caught off guard.

~BV
Yes! You don't have to have a poor birth experience yourself to recognize how bad it can get. A heads up would have been much appreciated in my case.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#19 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I really doubt any hospital in US allows food.
Did you mean US or UK? I had no problem getting whatever I wanted to eat, whenever I wanted to eat it, at my hospital labor. I even ordered a full meal during labor and got it. (However, by the time it arrived I was too far in active labor to feel like actually eating a meal. But I could have had I wanted to. And I had unlimited snacks and drinks whenever I wanted.)

That said, I am still having a homebirth this time. Being at the hospital stinks no matter how nice the hospital is. It's still a hospital.
#20 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, some hospitals do encourage eating, but they are few and far between...in our area, anyway. We do run the entire spectrum, though, of hospitals who will allow any food at any time to hospitals who will only "allow" IV fluids.

The thing is, as pp's have mentioned, for the most part, you have every right to demand or refuse whatever procedures you want...but you may have a very hard fight in your hands. And, frankly, it's not necessarily a fight that you'll be able/prepared to fight when you're in active labor. One choice would be to NOT place yourself in the hospital. Another choice would be to find the hospital with the lowest intervention rates and the DOCTOR with the lowest intervention rates (ask the homebirth community in your area which doctor backs up the midwives in your area and you might just find your best option)...and then get a doula.

And the fight would most often be because they don't know what else to do BUT the procedure that they were set to practice on you. Because it is so routine...on top of the fact that, it being protocol means that if they DON'T do whatever it is, the staff will be facing censure for not doing what THEY are told. They're not necessarily being jerks...they are just not used to educated women who want ANYTHING other than what they usually do. I actually had one nurse look at a couple I was attending and say, "Well, we can't just sit around and do NOTHING!!" to which the father replied, "Why? Is there something wrong with the baby? Are my wife's stats going bad?" the nurse answered, very uncomfortably, "Well, no, everything is fine...but we're just not used to doing NOTHING!" I thought that that was extremely telling!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#21 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You can refuse anything -- including an emergency C-section unless they go get a court order to protect the unborn child.

In reality -- it depends on WHAT you are refuseing and WHY they find it necessary and WHO you are delaing with.

I refused eye goop, all hosptial vax, circ, and so on.....for teh circ i wrote refused on the concent form, for the others i had to sign a form noteing we were refusing.

I have a freind who refused an eperdural and had a forcept delievery without any medication or other intervention......

BUT how much grief you catch -- depends on the hosptial and the providers, i know people who have been railed about refuseing the new born bath and eye stuff.......no one blinked an eye at us, just gave us the form to sign (had it with them too, didn't even have to go get it).

Most of the stuff depends on the hsoptial -- for example mine and my older sister's both encouraged eating as long as you feel you can -- real food. mine has a food room, witha buffett 3 times a day, and food all the time. DH can eat sas much as he wantes and bring me as much as i want. mom went and got me food, doula went and got me food, nurses offered to bring me food. drinks too. i think there is a change taking place and this is becoming more common. Sis had full meals deleivered to her room during active labor..... The one we were born at and little sister birthed at did not, but when i took her food they said nothing.......some i hear discourage it. and even at the same hosptial a lot if going to depend on your provider and how she or he likes to do things and how supportive of your choices she or he is.

many of us have to be in a hospital ..... it is a question of getting a good provider and a good hosptial..........and advocating for changes in the system as possible.

Quote:
went round and round on various issues and scenarios and it just came down to the only *real* choice we had was whether we wanted to walk through the hospital doors or not.
I NEVER felt that way. am sad you did. I knew that short of hemmeraqgeing and going unconsious or being litteraly in a life or dealth immedate situation our CNM would let us choose everything and consult us on everything ........I feel the same way about our OB. Our Ob is MORE hands off and always telling me "I am an advisor, you have to choose for your family" heck our CNM was more pushy. . ............... what both of our prividers did was talk to us, at appt -- early -- about what interventions we were and weren't ok with, what they considered an emeregency and what we considered an emergency and we agreed up front that in what setting would we jsut let go and let them "take over" in both cases it has been only when time is of such an factor they have to ... and actually our OB is a lot less jumpy than the CNM about whatis "high risk" and what is not. ..................... our OB knows what we what and don't want and they are things he too is committed to. but we all know we want to walk out of there with a health baby, so if i start to bleed out, or my heart stops or anything "totally unlikely, but still withint he realmes of possible" happens.. the OB knows to do whatever he has to to save us both.............short of that i am confident the is going to incude us in the decisions. and Frankly -- in the few cases like that -- THAT is why we have him He told me "don't worry there are so very few situations where we won't have time to talk. and that is why we are talking now"

Quote:
In my experience in hospitals both during childbirth and for various family member's surgeries, it's more like, "We are going to do XYZ now", or "It's time for XYZ now". I've never once heard a nurse or doctor ask the patient if they wanted the procedure.
it was ALWAYS presnted to DH and I as "let's talk abotu YVF now" or "given **** woudl you like to consider VVVVV. Here is why I/we think it would be a good thing to think abotu....we'll give you time to talk about it..." or "have you thought about YGH can I give you some information, or answer any wuestions". this was true even when i had pushed for over 3 hours, the baby was stuck and MY BP and oxgyn level were being effected "we would like to talk about bringing in an OB to see about maybe helping with forcepts or a vacumee" "I think it is getitng close tot he time that you are going to need some kind of help before we get in a situation wehre your health is in danger".......... I had ONE intervention i didn't want, but my doula actually told me she agreed, and so did DH and my mom ... and it was a case of doing one little thing now so as not to have to do more later, and i agrred to the logic of that, and i did get my extra hour to keep trying naturally, so while i agrred finally, i was not forced or pushed into it.

again, and again, and again, it is the provider you choose and the hosptial you choose. Locally i have heard horror stories about the local birth center and the CNM that runs it that hates douals ....... it is all int eh provider and location you choose,

and remember you can ALWAY request a differnt nurse, or a 4th differnt nurse

there is good and bad in every situation or choice..........

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#22 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
..."Why? Is there something wrong with the baby? Are my wife's stats going bad?" the nurse answered, very uncomfortably, "Well, no, everything is fine...but we're just not used to doing NOTHING!"
: I just LOVE it when people tell more truth than they ever intended.
... especially when it confirms what I *knew* to be true all along.

~BV
#23 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 02:04 PM

I don't know that anyone *made* me do anything during my son's birth, but they sure tried.

I was in (induced) labor for 37 hours, and I was fed twice, both in the first 6 hours. After that, if my BF hadn't gone and picked up take-out, both DH and I would have been starving.

They repeatedly tried to "convince" me to get an epidural. I wound up on morphine because I couldn't handle the pain, but there was no way I was going to voluntarily let anyone paralyze me. About an hour or two before he was born, when the contractions were 45 seconds long, 2 minutes apart, one of the doctors came in and tried to brow-beat me into getting the epidural again. I was at a point where I couldn't speak, the contractions were coming so hard and fast. Both DH and BF literally had to argue with her to get her to leave me alone because she refused to take no for an answer. That was the last doctor we saw until almost 8 hours after he was born... they obviously didn't appreciate being told off.

By the time we left, DH vowed that he would never fight me on HB again.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#24 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
Did you mean US or UK?
The USA

The hospitals in Europe are for the most part more easy going than in the states.
#25 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:

During my two hospital pregnancies and births in Michigan I was told that If I refused tests I could no longer see my OB, or they would call CPS. I was told both things at various times. When I discussed not wanting some tests with Midwives who attend homebirths in some cases I was told that they don't attend patients unless they have the tests because they don't feel comfortable doing so (not because of legal requirements). There are also some tests that are required by law in some states.

Not everybody has real options in pregnancy in birth if they want to have a healthcare provider involved with their pregnancy or birth.

Kiley
#26 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=Jenlaana;8348223]You can ABSOLUTELY decline anything. If they choose to fight you on it, YOU are in the right, NOT them. They have no right to force any proceedures on you OR your baby. You can definitely have an empowered birth where YOU make the choices, and not them.

QUOTE]

You might be right, but your baby could still be in foster care wearing disposable diapers with a stomach full of formula. Sometimes you have to be canny and avoid people who will cause that kind of trouble for you.

Kiley
#27 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
During my two hospital pregnancies and births in Michigan I was told that If I refused tests I could no longer see my OB, or they would call CPS. I was told both things at various times. When I discussed not wanting some tests with Midwives who attend homebirths in some cases I was told that they don't attend patients unless they have the tests because they don't feel comfortable doing so (not because of legal requirements). There are also some tests that are required by law in some states.
Not the whole state.

My sister has birthed twice in MI -- outside Detroit. she has refused most testing, worked with a great CNm, birthed in a birth center connected to a hospital, and refused all new born "stuff".......with out grief or trouble. She has had two nonmedical, natural births in more or less a hotial (it is in a hosptial, jsut a differnt wing, connected tot he OB wing)..............

so ....... it depends.

and in all my years of foster care -- and all my firends in CSP -- i have never head any of that, save here on MDC. and i never took care of a child taken from a family for a natural birth plan or refusal of interventions. ......... really i have never encountred that in IRL -- either as happneing, or the fear of it happneing tOTHER THAN ON mdc...........

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#28 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
and in all my years of foster care -- and all my firends in CSP -- i have never head any of that, save here on MDC. and i never took care of a child taken from a family for a natural birth plan or refusal of interventions. ......... really i have never encountred that in IRL -- either as happneing, or the fear of it happneing tOTHER THAN ON mdc...........
Are you suggesting that people here are lying about their experiences? I hope not. : I've seen newspaper stories about women losing babies to foster care, or being threatened about losing babies to foster care so I know this is true, that CPS can and does cause problems for people who refuse mainstream medical care. I don't have time to look for links but if you go to thecowgoddess.com Hathor has run stories about this. I'm sure other people here can point you in the right direction as well.

I suspect you see it more here on MDC because on every other board I have ever been to, no one ever questions doctors since in Mainstream America OBs are gods.
#29 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
Are you suggesting that people here are lying about their experiences? I hope not. :
I read it as it being very few and far between, that someone in that field does not ever hear about it. Thats my experience as well, although UCs are a whole different story. I know more than one mom in RL that had issues with being investigated, but again, UC is not a very common method of birth these days, so finding someone who UC'd locally is tough, let alone finding the 10% (or whatever the number is) that had to deal with CPS.

As for no hospital in the US allowing food... a lot of it has to do with the doctors and midwives that you are using as well. Not to mention the hospital itself. A hospital that deals with a lot of high risk pregnancies is going to have a lot more of a control issue, because they're used to dealing with being in control of things. It seems really backwards to me, but the hospital I finally found where I could have a "good" birth if I wanted it, with all the hands off that I require, is a low risk hospital out in the middle of nowhere, and the hospitals that really SUCKED were the ones in higher populated areas.

I have toured 3 hospitals during my last pregnancy and am going to a CNM that delivers at a 4th hospital, and 2 of the 4 said absolutely no food or drink whatsoever. The third (from last pregnancy) said that it was up to my doctor (as was the last word on all interventions/comforts - i.e. they had no problem with food if the OB didn't, had no problem with a birth ball if the OB didnt, etc) Needless to say, the OB I had who delivered at that hospital didnt think I even deserved a trial of labor, let alone any comfort measures. For the 4th hospital, I have not toured yet, but I did speak at great length to my midwife. She has been very up front and told me that I am free to decline any intervention I choose, that she encourages eating and movement and changing positions, and would have no problem with skipping the IV until/unless it was necessary. She said that going into the hospital, they would want me to do "standard proceedure stuff" and that it would probably be a bit of a pain, but that she would be there and as long as she was in agreement with us, they would not give us much trouble. (she even wants to give me her pager so that I can give her a heads up before we head up that way, so she can be in attendence)
#30 of 63 Old 06-12-2007, 03:40 PM

I am following this thread with great intereste as I am considering a hospital birth this time around....

Quote:
My sister has birthed twice in MI -- outside Detroit. she has refused most testing, worked with a great CNm, birthed in a birth center connected to a hospital, and refused all new born "stuff".......with out grief or trouble. She has had two nonmedical, natural births in more or less a hotial (it is in a hosptial, jsut a differnt wing, connected tot he OB wing)..............
She must have been at the place I had my DD! I was FANTASTIC and I would go there again in a second if I was still in MI. I even had a waterbirth there even though I really wasn't *supposed* to LOL! My mw and the nurses were FANSTASTI, I was eating a loaded baked potato while sitting in the tub. I pushed when I was ready, no one made me get out of the tub and they never took my little girl out of my or DH's hands the whole time.

Boy how I wish I was living there now...it would make this birth decision so much easier....

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page