'Knocked Up' showed the baby crowning. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
She actually got in the tub to relax in early labor, you never see that in hollywood! Then it showed the doctor acting like an ass and he took him outside and told him he needed to be nicer to her because this was her experience, I was like, who wrote this?! It was surprisingly sensitive for a mainstream movie.
I know! I was so impressed and loved it! When she was flipping out after not being able to get her OB I told my BF, "THIS is how it REALLY works."

Quote:
I'll be honest... I shaved all of the way through pregnancy. I think I even did at the very beginning of labor.
But there were no stray hairs, no bumps, no skin discoloration, no nothing. It was REALLY weird. (though obviously fake)

We were DYING at the fights between her sister and BIL. THEY FIGHT JUST LIKE US, especially when he was sniping to her abotu how she worries about everything, and one of her worries was vaxes! (not to mention the Spiderman 3 fight.....we had, um, the same exchange over Spiderman 3) It was so embarrassing but I figure HEY, we must be pretty ok if they're making fun of this couple.....we must not be the only ones. Plus the husband responds to EVERYTHING like my BF would. (lets stuff roll of his back and keeps going, thinks I'm nuts, etc. :-) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 06-17-2007, 03:46 AM

I really like this movie and I hate the way that pregnancy and birth is normally protrayed in movies. She seemed like a strong woman who stood up for what she wanted. I couldn't believe when they showed the crowning scene either. I really liked how she was all relaxing in the tub in early labor - I was leaning over to my husband and saying "She should have a UC" since their doctor was out of town. I want to see it again.
#33 of 47 Old 06-20-2007, 01:13 AM

I haven't seen the movie, but I was just reading this about the guidelines and working restrictions for infants in California.

My favorite part?

Quote:
1-month-old twins who were born two months premature had been slathered with cream cheese and jelly for a birth scene. (Screen Actors Guild guidelines do cover condiment usage. Grape, red currant, and cherry jelly can be used to simulate birth-related fluids. Strawberry, raspberry, and K-Y jellies are a no-no, for fear of allergic reactions.)
Amy

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#34 of 47 Old 06-20-2007, 01:54 PM

I totally LOVED the movie. There were a bunch of high schoolers behind me making comments about the birth scene though.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#35 of 47 Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Serenity View Post
My original goal was to find a woman who would allow me to shoot the baby coming out and match it to the real shot. I wanted to use the same sheets and the same bed. We came close to getting it done, but the State of California said, 'You can't do it because the unborn child would need a worker's permit.' Of course, I couldn't get that until it was born!"
OMG
#36 of 47 Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 PM

Cool Now I have to see this movie

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#37 of 47 Old 06-20-2007, 08:25 PM

I thought it was great. VERY funny, and I too was really surprised at how non-mainstream the birth was. I was like, hooray, a natural birth in a major movie that a lot of people are going to see! I love the way the father took control and told the doctor to back off.

Afterward my husband was like, 'I thought pregnant women didn't bother with any pubic hair, um, upkeep, since you can't see it anymore' and I had to laugh. I was like, it's probably fake, plus a lot of women go to salons to get waxed.
#38 of 47 Old 06-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama23 View Post
I totally LOVED the movie. There were a bunch of high schoolers behind me making comments about the birth scene though.
Yeah, there were two teenage girls in front of me that squealed.
#39 of 47 Old 06-21-2007, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustmamie View Post
I haven't seen the movie, but I was just reading this about the guidelines and working restrictions for infants in California.

Amy
Fascinating! Thanks for filling me in, I was so confused!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#40 of 47 Old 06-21-2007, 05:47 PM

I LOVED that movie. It was soo funny and the birth scene was different from what we usually see. When they showed the crowning, I laughed soo much I was crying. I guess I was really suprised because you never get to see that in movies.

My DP said...is that really what it looks like when you give birth. And I said yes it does...so he said, OMG it stretches a lot Poor you

Gotta love him

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#41 of 47 Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 PM

I picked up on SEVERAL anti-circ remarks, as well. And gotta love the not vaxing comment!

And the argument between them over the fantasy baseball/Spiderman3/I wanna spend time w/ you/I need my sanity is SOOOO me & my dh!

I did like a LOT how he remarked later in the movie that his biggest problem is that his wife loves him SO MUCH she just wants him around all the time.

I nudged DH and said, "Duh!"

And the pregnant sex was HYSTERICAL. "It's all National Geographic!" That is totally how I feel. And wearing a bra during the act?

I do think they could have done without the gratuitous nudity in the movies the guys watch and I wish the f-bomb hadn't been so prevalent, but otherwise the movie was very funny and much of the time rather accurate.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#42 of 47 Old 06-21-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
Some of my friends did the whole "is that REALLY necessary?" bit and were countered with "that is the CLEANEST birth you will EVER see". They had nothing to say to that. I had no problems with it. If anything, it was tame. But I was surprised at how totally and absolutely hairless she was. :
I was hairless at my childbirth to ds.

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#43 of 47 Old 06-25-2007, 04:35 PM

I got to see it this weekend. Fun movie! One peeve was that they kept calling the OBs gynecologists. I sat next to 2 HS girls who covered their eyes during the crowning scene like it was a horror flick. LMAO.

I give it a thumbs up. It is definitely a step in the right direction in terms of depicting birth in a mainstream movie.
#44 of 47 Old 06-25-2007, 06:10 PM

OMG, have I got a story about that movie! My cousin called me after she and all her early 20's girlfriends saw the movie. She asked me if the baby really comes out your vagina!!!!!! I said of course, it is more messy than they showed but overall that is really how it happens. She said no way, WE ALL thought the baby comes out your BUTTHOLE!!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!! They are twenty year old women in America with no idea where babies come from....a couple of them have even had abortions and still had no idea where babies come from. So the movie was a learning experience and got them asking questions so I was able to insert my natural birthing ideology on their young minds!
Overall, I loved the movie. Lots of vulgar language, but really funny! And I loved the natural aspects like no vax, cosleep, natural birth. The fight with the doc was so accurate and hopefully this brings these issues into the mainstream.
#45 of 47 Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 PM

[quote=Julz6871;8473360]OMG, have I got a story about that movie! My cousin called me after she and all her early 20's girlfriends saw the movie. She asked me if the baby really comes out your vagina!!!!!! I said of course, it is more messy than they showed but overall that is really how it happens. She said no way, WE ALL thought the baby comes out your BUTTHOLE!!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!! They are twenty year old women in America with no idea where babies come from....a couple of them have even had abortions and still had no idea where babies come from.[quote]

wow...did they miss sex ed in 6th grade? i thought that if you had an abortion they had to explain where the baby is... i'm sorry i just can't wrap my head around the idea that 20 year old does not know where babies come from...i mean a 10 year old yeah but 20?
#46 of 47 Old 06-25-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyofwills View Post
I was hairless at my childbirth to ds.
I did it once before going into labour - really made things a bit easier afterwards. I wish it was as easy to find a specialized and affordable place to have those done here as it was back home in Brazil.
#47 of 47 Old 07-06-2007, 09:33 PM

I just saw it yesterday and my first thought at the crowning scene was definitely 'that is the CLEANEST birth ever!!'

Funny movie though. Seems like a movie that will be funnier with repeated watchings.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page