let me ask here before i ask my OB and look silly - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not supposed to eat in the hospital, either, but it didn't stop me when I was hungry. Seriously, there are no cameras in the room. You don't have to have a wine glass or even the bottle. You could bring it in a sports bottle. Have your dh slip you some if you need it. Most of the time, there's no one in your room anyway. I second the recommendation of a doula. No laboring woman should be without one for a hospital birth.

Have you considered Rescue Remedy?
#32 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinna View Post
I don't really know anything about the medical options... I know there are a few things that are sometimes given as a shot that a lot of mamas say made them spaced out - one friend told me "I still felt all the pain, I just didn't CARE so much!" LOL

You might want to consider hypnosis for childbirth. It would totally look after this whole issue for you, it's amazing. Go check out www.hypnobabies.com. I used hypnosis for both my births and it was absolutely fantastic, especially for defeating fear and staying calm, and no need for chemicals of any kind except what my body makes for itself!

xo Robin

Just wanted to second the hypnosis idea. I used hypnobirthing, the Mongan method. www.hypnobirthing.com

#33 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
Not supposed to eat in the hospital, either, but it didn't stop me when I was hungry. Seriously, there are no cameras in the room. You don't have to have a wine glass or even the bottle. You could bring it in a sports bottle. Have your dh slip you some if you need it. Most of the time, there's no one in your room anyway.
Hee hee, I was actually picturing drinking the wine at home when I made the suggestion... but I didn't go to the hospital until I was almost ready to push, so that's probably why I was thinking that. By the time I got in the car, I was well beyond the idea of drinking or eating anything.

But, now that you bring it up... you certainly *could* sneak in a flask of sorts. In fact, I love the idea!
#34 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 PM

With my first I was induced and it was awful. I finally asked for something for the pain, but I didn't want an epi. They gave me Fentanyl (sp?) in my IV. It only lasts 1/2 hr., and each time they give it it's less effective. And they can't give it when you're pushing, because if the baby is born within 1/2 hour of administration they may have trouble breathing. But it did the job for me. It made it so much more bearable. It didn't so much take away the pain as it allowed me to relax between contractions (I even dosed off). They only gave it to me twice, since after an hour on that I had gone from 3 cm dilation (where I'd been stuck for hours) to 10 cm. My midwife told me that Fentanyl is much better than an epi.

That said, I would recommend other options first. I went into my first birth very unprepared for what happened. This time I was very prepared, and didn't need any of it ( go figure!).

I talked to my homeopath (a classical homeopath) and got a list of remedies I should have on hand for labor and birth. He was much too thorough so I had a bunch of remedies on hand, and didn't need any of them. He told me what each of them was for, and I made a list for dh, but we were also welcome to call for advice. Is there anyone who could be on call like that?

The homeopathics on my list that seem to fit what you're worried about are (all are 30C potency):

-- Anxiety (a lot), like a panic attack (no known reason) - Argentum Nitricum
-- Fear and nervousness (but not panic -- I use this for flying on a plane, works every time) - Gelsemium
-- Crying hysterically for no reason - Pulsatilla
-- If you go psycho (his words, not mine ) - Thuja

And here's a funny one, just for some laughs. If you have an "overbearing feeling of your whole body coming out of your cervix", take Ustilago. I told him that's the definition of giving birth.

And, if the hopital would have let me stay in the shower more, I probably wouldn't have needed anything else. I felt soooo much better in the shower. I'm sure a tub would have been good, too (maybe better).

I know this may not be easy, but try to relax and not worry about labor. Every one is different. Who knows what this one will be like for you. But you're pretty much guaranteed that it will be different from the first! So, ask your dr. what options are available to you (not silly at all!) so that you can research them, and do the hypnobirthing and whatever else to prepare, but otherwise stop worrying about it and know that your body can do it.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#35 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
Isn't she going to be in the hospital? How is she going to manage drinking wine in the hospital?
She doesn't have to tell them she's drinking wine. I wouldn't recommend advertising it. Just like with food. A lot of hospitals will not "allow" it but that doesn't mean you can't sneak it in and eat it anyway. Wine seems like a good low key way to reduce anxiety. Atleast worth a try before turning to drugs. I ended up with pitocin, then an epidural (than a csection) with my first. I wish I had tried a nice glass of wine before resorting to the epidural!

And the homeopathics ChristieB listed sound really good to have on hand too...

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#36 of 50 Old 06-12-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericswifey27 View Post
She doesn't have to tell them she's drinking wine. I wouldn't recommend advertising it. Just like with food. A lot of hospitals will not "allow" it but that doesn't mean you can't sneak it in and eat it anyway. Wine seems like a good low key way to reduce anxiety. Atleast worth a try before turning to drugs. I ended up with pitocin, then an epidural (than a csection) with my first. I wish I had tried a nice glass of wine before resorting to the epidural!

And the homeopathics ChristieB listed sound really good to have on hand too...
As weird as this country is with drinking during pregnancy it would skeeve me out to be intoxicated in the hospital. If they caught you doing it...
#37 of 50 Old 06-12-2007, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As weird as this country is with drinking during pregnancy it would skeeve me out to be intoxicated in the hospital. If they caught you doing it...
I agree I think that would cause a lot more trouble than all the natural child birth advocating you could ever do

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#38 of 50 Old 06-12-2007, 03:23 PM

I personally would stay away from the drugs and use something like Bach's Rescue Remedy, calming teas, homeopathy, hypnosis, etc...

I had Nubain with one of my labors (no matter what it was, I am sure this would have happened to me with ANY pain med) and I fell asleep (or was just completely stoned out of my mind) in between contractions.

I would wake with every contraction and feel all the pain, then fall back to sleep. What this did was completely mind &%$! me. I couldn't understand how I could have a contraction for two hours long and no one believed me or helped me. I would cry out and beg them for help and they just patted me and shushed me like I was a silly girl.

I can never risk that one again

Perhaps you arent as sensitive as I am, but it makes me never want to recommend any kind of pain med to ANY mom just in case. That really messed me up.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#39 of 50 Old 06-12-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
Heh, my first suggestion *was* going to be smoking a little pot at home to relax but I figured that if you got caught with that in your bloodstream it might cause a LOT more trouble than it would be worth!
#40 of 50 Old 06-12-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
Heh, my first suggestion *was* going to be smoking a little pot at home to relax but I figured that if you got caught with that in your bloodstream it might cause a LOT more trouble than it would be worth!
I think they are both good ideas. It really surprises me things like Nubain and Morphine are considered acceptable but not wine or pot. Sometimes I really wonder about the world we live in
#41 of 50 Old 06-13-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
in more ways than you knwo -- DHis FLEO

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#42 of 50 Old 06-13-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
in more ways than you knwo -- DHis FLEO
I don't know what FLEO stands for... but I saw the little policeman icon in your sig, and I think that probably means ixnay on the otpay...
#43 of 50 Old 06-13-2007, 10:38 PM

THe shot is typically narcotics. These can have some very serious side effects for the baby, both short and long term. More importantly, they don't really help you get back on top of anything. Actually, they can make you feel "loopy" and more out of control. Labor at home as long as possible-it's easier to be relaxed in your own familiar home.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#44 of 50 Old 06-13-2007, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Do hospitals still use demerol in labor. Demerol will not take away the pain, as you still feel it, but you simply don't care any more. That is what I have been told about the drug...no personal experience here.
#45 of 50 Old 06-13-2007, 11:23 PM

I believe so. Here it's pethidine which is the UK name for Demerol IIRC.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#46 of 50 Old 06-13-2007, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Drugs affect different people in different ways. I do not think you can ask about one drug. But I think you are getting some good advice here. some drugs are delivered locally, by iv or intramuscularly. Some hospitals have only certain drugs on hand. Be sure to write down the names of the drugs that you want to ask your doctor about and the method of delivery and when they are given in labor and what the effect is.

THEN

go to the library and look it up on the PDR or on line. Take notes. Get a good Medical Dictionary...TABER's is one...and use it.

And then go back and ask your doctor again about those drugs because he is going to tell you what he wants you to know the first time. The second time, you ask him what you want to know after you have checked on what he told you.
#47 of 50 Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 PM

I would not drink wine during labor. Even if you don't show up at the hospital three sheets to the wind, you might be in the situation of throwing it all up. Lovely!
#48 of 50 Old 06-15-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
Would it be wrong to have a glass or two of wine to help you to relax?

That feels more "natural" to me than a drug like Valium...
I want to know the same thing. I will totally drink two glasses of wine in labor next time around, in a heartbeat! If it's ok, of course....

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#49 of 50 Old 06-15-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Girl View Post
I would not drink wine during labor. Even if you don't show up at the hospital three sheets to the wind, you might be in the situation of throwing it all up. Lovely!
But what if I'm not a nauseus person? I wonder if it would be ok otherwise...

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#50 of 50 Old 06-16-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

FLEO = fed law enforcement officer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page