let me ask here before i ask my OB and look silly - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok I have a thought / question....

i can't find anything about it in any of my books (and i have quite a few ask DH).......

I will ask OB about it.... but i wanted to see what you other moms (and MW and Doulas) all knew before i asked what might turn out to be a stupid question....................

Ok when considering BIRTH and LABOR, mainly LABOR .... there are so many pain opitons, short of the epi.... a single shot of a pain killer and so on to allow the mom to "get back on top".........

it is my thought Iwould liek to go this route next time..........part of why i ended up with an epi last time is that i got freaked out, and in a pain cycle (more pain, more stress, more tense, theus the worse the pain got and the more tense i got...and so on) ad i did not dialte. (after 22 hours of active labor i was at a 4, water broken 22 hours as well)....................

but

I was wondering -- in place of a pain medication -- why don't they use -- or DO they ever use -- an anti-anxiety? A single does of valium or any of the medications like that?

I know i needed to RELAX more than i needed pure pain killer, granted they pain killer should have the side effect of allowing you to relax. I need to gather myself and get a grip ........ more than i needed less pain.

Also wondering if the rebound pain issues possible with any actual pain dulling intervention, would be less with a one time (or even 2 time if labor is that long -- mine was well over 30 hours) anti-anxiety.......as the pain would not be as dulled, thus not so much reboud to contend with.

I really think a valum or something might have given me the little relaxtion i was unable to get for myself, and gotten me back on top, and gotten the labor and birth backk on track......

thoughts?

Opionons?

is this really a stpuid idea?

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#2 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 12:48 PM

I don't really know anything about the medical options... I know there are a few things that are sometimes given as a shot that a lot of mamas say made them spaced out - one friend told me "I still felt all the pain, I just didn't CARE so much!" LOL

You might want to consider hypnosis for childbirth. It would totally look after this whole issue for you, it's amazing. Go check out www.hypnobabies.com. I used hypnosis for both my births and it was absolutely fantastic, especially for defeating fear and staying calm, and no need for chemicals of any kind except what my body makes for itself!

xo Robin
#3 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 12:56 PM

In Ireland- other places too, I'm sure- they use "gas & air" (aka Entonox, which is composed of 50 per cent oxygen and 50 per cent nitrous oxide) as an option for pain relief. I don't know if that's an option where you are located but it might be worth mentioning just to get your OB's views on it.
#4 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 12:57 PM

I know there are shots that they will give you. A friend of mine had nubain and she seemed kind of high. She was relaxed and was able to calm down between contractions.

I don't know the risks of these types of shots but if I had to do pain medication I would probably want the shot instead of an epi. The whole spine thing freaks me out more than anything else.
#5 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You might want to consider hypnosis for childbirth. It would totally look after this whole issue for you, it's amazing. Go check out www.hypnobabies.com. I used hypnosis for both my births and it was absolutely fantastic, especially for defeating fear and staying calm, and no need for chemicals of any kind except what my body makes for itself!
I am working on this -- Have been praticing since week 10, though i need to get better at doing it daily.

I just kow i have anxeity issues ANYWAY -- not just in labor and devlivery --

Thanks

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#6 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
I am working on this -- Have been praticing since week 10, though i need to get better at doing it daily.

I just kow i have anxeity issues ANYWAY -- not just in labor and devlivery --

Thanks
You can do it. The hypnosis will be there for you! I was so calm, even with my 2nd labour which I knew was going to result in an unneeded section for breech, that they had absolutely no idea I was in transition.
#7 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 01:15 PM

interesting thought!!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#8 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 01:25 PM

I know that pain medications usually have side effects in the baby that tend to cause problems, which is why the epidural is suggested more frequently than a shot of nubain or demerol (it has less side effects for the baby, though nothing is free from side effects). Most anti-anxiety medications work by supressing your central nervous system, kind of like alcohol without the liver damage. My guess would be that they don't offer valium or anything like that because the side effects to babies are too risky.

I don't think it's a silly question, and if you know you have anxiety issues I would definitely bring it up with your OB. You may want to work with a doula as well who can help you find coping strategies for your anxiety. I know I have anxiety issues also, and I am already trying to find ways to cope. I think you're doing a great job by thinking about it this soon.

And, if your OB does make light of your concerns, you'll know that you probably need a different provider.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#9 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I know that pain medications usually have side effects in the baby that tend to cause problems, which is why the epidural is suggested more frequently than a shot of nubain or demerol (it has less side effects for the baby, though nothing is free from side effects). Most anti-anxiety medications work by supressing your central nervous system, kind of like alcohol without the liver damage. My guess would be that they don't offer valium or anything like that because the side effects to babies are too risky.
i think i will look up the pregancy class of a bunch of them -- both anti - a and pain and see how they compare in the "effect on baby" area.......

#10 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
i think i will look up the pregancy class of a bunch of them -- both anti - a and pain and see how they compare in the "effect on baby" area.......
AFAIK, all benzodiazapines, which is what valium, xanax, ativan, etc all are, are category D during pregnancy and contraindicated in breastfeeding. It may be less of an issue at birth, or it may not. When you're looking up drugs, see if you can find the prescriber's insert and look for a category on pregnancy and/or labor.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#11 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 01:45 PM

I really agree that relaxing is SO important! I think Bradley classes are wonderful for that, but if you are already in a Hypnobabies (or is it Hypnobirth?) class and don't want to double up, I'd at least read Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon-Rosegg. But I really loved the classes! You learn relaxation techniques, but it also helped me so much to understand what was happening and what my options were.

I think it is easier to relax when you really trust that you are safe, and your health care providers are supportive. You have to trust your body and the process. I went in knowing what to expect, and what my options were all along the way. I knew it would be ok, so it was easier to stay calm.

I really think that going at it from the direction of calming your fears before labor begins is more effective than a pill or shot to calm you down during.
#12 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 PM

Yes, they gave me something like that during my labor with ds1 and I absolutely hated it. It didn't reduce pain, it just made me less focused which at the time was confusing and annoying, to still be hurting and not be able to think why or what to do... it was sort of like being in a bad dream you couldn't wake up from... I guess you'd call it a bad trip, lol.

I am using hypnobabies too, after years of being afraid of the full-on panicky feeling I had the first time.. but I realize now that it was not just me that didn't cope, I was also in a stressful environment with people that encouraged me to think of the pain and my labor as a crisis that needed treatment while at the same time increasing my pain levels with interventions that weren't necessary. This time I'm going to be in a totally different environment and know to avoid interventions, so I'm on a completely different path even if the sensations of my labor are the same as before.

A nice addition to your hypnosis training, if you feel you need something extra to take the edge off your anxiety, might be EFT. It is a technique that uses acupressure points combined with fear-clearing affirmations. I have found it to be helpful so far. It's free to learn, you can download an e-book with the basic info at emofree.com.
#13 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=velcromom;8356024]Yes, they gave me something like that during my labor with ds1 and I absolutely hated it. It didn't reduce pain, it just made me less focused which at the time was confusing and annoying, to still be hurting and not be able to think why or what to do... it was sort of like being in a bad dream you couldn't wake up from... I guess you'd call it a bad trip, lol.

QUOTE]

That was my experience with all IV drugs they gave me during my first birth in the hospital. Terrible.
If someone held a gun to my head and made me go to the hospital to have a baby and made me have some sort of medication, I'd pick the epidural. At least that didn't screw with my head and I was able to remain focused in the moment. I've had friends that just did the IV thing and didn't realize until several hours later that they had a baby already

Above all drugs, I'd recommend getting a doula. She can help you relax AND focussed.

Mom to 2 little ladybugs, age 4 and 6, and wife to that guy that lives here. 
#14 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I really agree that relaxing is SO important! I think Bradley classes are wonderful for that, but if you are already in a Hypnobabies (or is it Hypnobirth?) class and don't want to double up, I'd at least read Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon-Rosegg. But I really loved the classes! You learn relaxation techniques, but it also helped me so much to understand what was happening and what my options were.
we took Bradely last time I read both books, the one By Dr B himself in teh 70's as well as the other one.

Quote:
A nice addition to your hypnosis training, if you feel you need something extra to take the edge off your anxiety, might be EFT. It is a technique that uses acupressure points combined with fear-clearing affirmations. I have found it to be helpful so far. It's free to learn, you can download an e-book with the basic info at emofree.com.
I am going to look at this

I have SUCH a hard tiem keeping a grip on anxiety -- day to day, not pregant, not in labor.... it is a CONSTANT struggle for me jsut to maintian.....labor just throws me for a loop

and i am scared since i had an epi last time, i will jsut wimp out and opt for one then the goes gets tough this time I am afraid i have lost all backbone i had builtup for last time.

A

#15 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

OK I chceked Morphine (only one i could thinnk of AND spell off the top of my hard : ) and it is a class B (??????????) pregancy -- which is that the cough syurp i am taking today is (again ??????????)

seems awful mild to me .................... that Valum would be worse than morphine?????? WOW

so I am guessing THAT IS why you read about using a short term pain shot in liue of a epi ... but never a anti-Anxiety...........

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i guess that if i freak out i can ask for a shot of a pain killer, adn hope for the calming effect from THAT...... to let me get back on top.............though i still wonder if rebound pain is gonna be worse......but with less risk to the child, tha tis a pain i will have to face

A

#16 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
did you just do the free thing, or did you pay for a class?

Aimee

#17 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 03:06 PM

I had a shot of Stadol with my first labor. It made me fall asleep and stopped my contractions. So they put me on pitocin and when it got bad again, I asked for another dose of Stadol and they gave it to me. It made me fall asleep again. Stadol didn't really function as a pain reliever, it just made my eyeballs whip back and forth rapidly until I fell asleep. I think they gave me too high a dose.

Valium is a muscle relaxant, I'm sure it would stop contractions too.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#18 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 03:14 PM

I had an epidural that didn't work. We removed it, I labored a lot more, then replaced it for a nap in the whole "let's try this one thing we haven't so far" continuum. When I woke from a nap, I was again in alot of pain. I was so upset that the epidural wasn't working. I started in on that awful pain cycle, too. At that point, I got a dose of Fentanyl. It is short acting, so it was just enough to get me on top of the pain and able to deal with it. And, because of the short half life, not as many side effects as something like Valium or Demerol.
#19 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Would it be wrong to have a glass or two of wine to help you to relax?

That feels more "natural" to me than a drug like Valium...
#20 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 04:22 PM

When I was in labor with DS1 I had a horrible panic attack nd they gave me a shot of Phenergan it worked very well and is something they give regualrly during labor and delivery and for severe morning sickness.
#21 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
OK I chceked Morphine (only one i could thinnk of AND spell off the top of my hard : ) and it is a class B (??????????) pregancy -- which is that the cough syurp i am taking today is (again ??????????)

seems awful mild to me .................... that Valum would be worse than morphine?????? WOW

so I am guessing THAT IS why you read about using a short term pain shot in liue of a epi ... but never a anti-Anxiety...........

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i guess that if i freak out i can ask for a shot of a pain killer, adn hope for the calming effect from THAT...... to let me get back on top.............though i still wonder if rebound pain is gonna be worse......but with less risk to the child, tha tis a pain i will have to face

A
I have had both valium and morphine, not during pregnancy, and what they do to you are totally different. With the valium the roof could have caved in on my head and I wouldn't have cared. On morphine I was more alert than that and able to process what was going on. I couldn't imagine having a baby spaced out on valium. I would be worried they wouldn't care to breathe.
#22 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

my thought was this -- still working on it

haveing used xnanix amny times just to cope and get though a day -- it doesn't NOT effect me that deeply (none of them do -- i do wish they did, sometimes) more of a sublet calming than the "the roof can fall in and I don't care"..........

I also have a very high -- natrual -- tollereance to all medications (at 12 when i had my foot rebulit i was taking more than my dad who had just had sugery NURSES CALLED DOV EVERY 4 HOURS TO BE SURE THE CHART WAS RIGHT)...............so i do not think any low does of a pain killer is gonna touch me, and i do not want to risk a higher does............WHERE AS I KNOW THE EFFECT A LOW DO ( tot helping) i know the effect leve on me personally of a lower does of some of the anti-anety meds (while not as much effect as they have one some, it has some helping effect)..............

but since they are class D and the pain killers are class B.......... hummmmmmmmmmmmm

so not sure.............

i would like to have something avaiable before the epi -- as a stop garp to try to help me regain.............

aghhhhhhhhhhh

#23 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 PM

Well I have a very low tollerance for drugs so that could be the difference. Have you had an epidural before?
#24 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
Would it be wrong to have a glass or two of wine to help you to relax?

That feels more "natural" to me than a drug like Valium...
That's probably what I'm going to do as well. I've found that I'm as focused and relaxed with a glass of red wine in my hand (even a sip does the job) as I am when I take a xanax or an ativan, and it wears off faster and has fewer side effects. I use red wine when I can, and I save the pharmaceuticals for when wine isn't an option (like at work).

To the OP, it sounds like you have an underlying panic issue that needs to be dealt with. Have you tried seeing a psychologist? If you're doing a hypno birthing course (whichever method) I understand that most of those courses have a "fear release" session in which you identify and work through your greatest fears about labor. This technique may help you in life. However, since you seem to be someone who doesn't use natural therapies as a first recourse, I think heading for a psychotherapist might be a better course for you.

#25 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaanne View Post
That's probably what I'm going to do as well. I've found that I'm as focused and relaxed with a glass of red wine in my hand (even a sip does the job) as I am when I take a xanax or an ativan, and it wears off faster and has fewer side effects. I use red wine when I can, and I save the pharmaceuticals for when wine isn't an option (like at work).

To the OP, it sounds like you have an underlying panic issue that needs to be dealt with. Have you tried seeing a psychologist? If you're doing a hypno birthing course (whichever method) I understand that most of those courses have a "fear release" session in which you identify and work through your greatest fears about labor. This technique may help you in life. However, since you seem to be someone who doesn't use natural therapies as a first recourse, I think heading for a psychotherapist might be a better course for you.
Isn't she going to be in the hospital? How is she going to manage drinking wine in the hospital?
#26 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well I have a very low tollerance for drugs so that could be the difference. Have you had an epidural before?
yep -- with first birth, for the forcepts.

Quote:

years of therapy. years of medication unmedicated now and feelign it

Have hynobirthing cds (2) and am doing them daily -- no classes in the area (liberal defination of area also).

I was not THIS freaked beofre my first birth I think BTDT is WORSE for me...............

I have praticed relaxtion for years, deep breasting responces and tried many natopathic treatements.......

just trying to fill my tool box before the event

AImee

#27 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Isn't she going to be in the hospital? How is she going to manage drinking wine in the hospital?
my thoughts

though i guess it could be done..........

#28 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddleMama View Post
In Ireland- other places too, I'm sure- they use "gas & air" (aka Entonox, which is composed of 50 per cent oxygen and 50 per cent nitrous oxide) as an option for pain relief. I don't know if that's an option where you are located but it might be worth mentioning just to get your OB's views on it.
it's not available in the US. Someone I know went through every hoop to try to get as it had worked wonderfully with her previous birth in the UK. After some effort she got the company to agree to supply it but the hospital refused to permit it. I don't know why--it's considered safe enough here that homebirth midwives have it.

I'm convinced that lack of lesser pain relief options is one of the things fuelling the high epidural rate in US hospitals. Not the only, but if women could try something like gas and air or TENS (which AIUI is not allowed in the US either) then maybe they wouldn't just jump straight to the epidural.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#29 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm convinced that lack of lesser pain relief options is one of the things fuelling the high epidural rate in US hospitals
my thought excaltly == it icurrently seems to be an all or nothing thing ----

A

#30 of 50 Old 06-11-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
I didn't say it would work for her, I just said that was what I was going to do. I'm also going to be avoiding the hospital if at all possible and that by itself is going to reduce my own anxiety.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page