Have you ever been induced? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Have you been induced?
yes ~ include natural induction methods 99 65.13%
no ~ this means to membrane stripping, no castor oil, etc 53 34.87%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 06-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
with #1 i went in on sunday to see my mw~ i was 41w 6d. i was given the choice~ break my water today or go to the hospital tomorrow for pitocin...got my water broken

with #2 i cant get into it, its still really stressful, but i ended up being stripped about 4 times, they tried a foley cath, ended up with cervidel, having my water broken AND pitocin...nightmare from hell!

#3 is a hb, so not planning any induction, BUT im open to being stripped again
#32 of 53 Old 06-16-2007, 06:13 PM

Yup - we tried everything with DD, everything - castor oil, membrane stripping, accupuncture. She wouldn't come. Finally I came down with a fever (most likely due to the membrane stripping and GBS+) and we had to induce with pitocin. Didn't do much good. 42 weeks and 4 days, she was born by c/s.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#33 of 53 Old 06-16-2007, 06:18 PM

no
#34 of 53 Old 06-16-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Pitocin, and it was the worst experience of my life

IMO one of the best gifts to give your baby is to be able to choose his own birthday Best wishes for a beautiful birth!

I agree.

Although now that I am 11 days overdue I really have to repeat this over and over to myself to believe it.

I was given pitocin without my knowledge (at the time) with my first labor. Technically it wasn't to induce but to augment labor though. And it was horrific.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#35 of 53 Old 06-16-2007, 11:23 PM

No.

DD was born on her due date after "technically" what was a 36 hour labor, inc. three of pushing.

DS didn't have a due date, b/c I had no menses between pregnancies because I was nursing. We had a "guess Month" of April/May. He was a pretty straightforward 12 hour labor, 20 min. of pushing.
#36 of 53 Old 06-16-2007, 11:37 PM

No, though I had scheduled an induction for 41w4d with my second child. Luckily, he arrived at 41w3d!

I wasn't particularly convinced that any of the "natural" induction methods were superior to "artificial" induction, and wanted to give my child as much time as possible to come on his or her own, which is why I didn't try any of them.

I agreed to pitocin induction (thankfully not needed) at 41w4d based on my own reading of a recent, large-scale study whose methodology seemed sound, and which appeared to clearly indicate that the further you went past 40 weeks, even still within the "standard" 42 week period, the greater the risk to the baby.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#37 of 53 Old 06-16-2007, 11:51 PM

I was induced for my first child. My water broke at 1 am and I went in at about 1pm the next day and was only 2cm and 70% effaced. They told me I could labor somemore at home but there was a risk of infection if the baby was not out within 24 hours of my water breaking. Honestly, I was really ignorant about all of it at that point, I am convinced the only reason I didn't end up with a c-section is because I was seeing CNMs instead of an OB. With as little as I knew then I don't even know how I went for a midwife instead of an OB, except that I heard the care was more patient focused .... Silly me, I let them induce. A whole bunch of pitocin and nine hours go by and I am holding a baby. I managed okay until I was 5 cm, but with the pitocin I asked for an epidural which didn't work, so I went through 9 hours of pitocin labor feeling everything. Miserable!! My other labor which was not induced was much faster I arrived at the hospital at 4 centimeters was 7 by the time I checked in 20 minutes later and labored for only 2 hours before my daughter was born. The same CNM group delievered her. Great birth!!
#38 of 53 Old 06-17-2007, 03:50 PM

Membrane stripping is what put me into labor with my 1st birth...

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#39 of 53 Old 06-17-2007, 08:35 PM

Yes. I gave into Pit 12 hours after my water broke and ended up with a vac-assisted delivery. I'm STILL angry about it. Avoid being induced with that stuff if you can.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#40 of 53 Old 06-17-2007, 09:27 PM

Unfortunely, yes. With my first birth I didn't know any better.

Second birth, no. Cesarean birth because of post dates and breech.

Third birth, all natural labor.
#41 of 53 Old 06-17-2007, 11:47 PM

I was induced with all three of my daughters. I feel ripped off of the experience of going into labor naturally..
#42 of 53 Old 06-19-2007, 10:13 AM

I was induced with my first after my water broke, I went to the hospital within a couple of hours (wouldn't recommend) and of course labor didn't start and I ended up getting Pitocin around 12 hours after the water broke and baby was born about 6ish hours later after 3 hours of pushing and I also got a 3rd degree tear.
#43 of 53 Old 06-19-2007, 01:37 PM

My first I wasn't induced at all and went in to labor naturally on his due date.

My second I was at 42 weeks with off and on labor at 4cm but nothing steady. They broke my waters to induce and I had a horrible painful labor with an asynclictic (tilted) baby that resulted in a cesarean.

I would never, ever agree to induce again, unless there was a truthful, medical reason for doing so. (Not just being "overdue"! )

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#44 of 53 Old 06-19-2007, 02:35 PM

yes and it was the worst birth ever!!!
#45 of 53 Old 06-19-2007, 04:13 PM

I've had three UCs so no inductions for me. Hopefully the situation never arises.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#46 of 53 Old 06-19-2007, 04:17 PM

Went into labor at 41 weeks, a couple of days later dd made her way out, all natural. My midwife said she looked more like a 42 weeker. I had already started maternity leave and could have stayed pregnant forever, I was enjoying the vacation.

: 10/06 : 10/09
#47 of 53 Old 06-19-2007, 06:22 PM

No, I also didn't want any natural methods when my water was broken for 3 days.
#48 of 53 Old 06-19-2007, 07:07 PM

No. I would never agree to any induction without medical reason.

-Angela
#49 of 53 Old 06-20-2007, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#50 of 53 Old 06-20-2007, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yes, twice, both for medical reasons.

We stayed in hospital and induced when we found out we had lost our first DD at term. Cervidil. Quick labor, but not pleasant.

With my second DD, I had developed Rh antibodies and also had that history of late term loss, so we decided to induce at 37w. We didn't want to keep our DD in any longer than necessary and have her develop HDN. So, it was cervidil again--didn't work, pitocin--not much help, then 2 rounds of prostaglandin gel and continuous pitocin and finally we got active labor going after 2 days of trying. The good part was that my water broke in its own (I didn't want the OB to do it) and once in labor, I went really fast...I stayed stuck at 5cm for hours, but then went from 5cm to pushing in 20 minutes. I didn't mind the pitocin (just didn't like the IV). I thought the cervidil was a lot worse...

If we ever have another, it'll be another induction, same reasons.

I wish I could birth naturally. We had a homebirth and midwife all lined up for our first. Guess it's just not in the cards for us.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#51 of 53 Old 06-20-2007, 02:37 PM

yes, caused my c/s, IMO. Went totally natural with #2. Will never induce again unless it's very medically necessary.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#52 of 53 Old 06-20-2007, 02:53 PM

Not induced per se.

dd was taken before active labor had started but I was already dilated about halfway. She was taken by c-section because she was breech and I was uneducated.

With ds my contractions started to peter out so I did use nipple stimulation which helped them get in a more regular pattern. My midwife did not endorse the method or suggest it. I just did it on my own.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#53 of 53 Old 06-20-2007, 03:00 PM

I was induced with dd at 41w6d bc I could no longer walk and my lower back felt like it was going to split apart....She was also my first and I didn't know as much as I know now.....This time I want the honey, it's time moment....

From wk 37 on I was about 5cm and had asked my MW to check me and do a sweep or two bc I was beyond ready and she was surprised I was still coming for my weekly appoinment....

I didn't have pain elsewhere...just my stubborn posterier baby.....

So, I went in for a NST bc she stopped moving for too long and called my MW and we did a bunch of natural methods (had been doing them before) and nada.....When I went into the hospital at 2pm I was 5cm and 90%.....was haivng contractions, just not feeling them too much except in my lower back.....my water broke and hours later no change...

I agreed to a tad of pitocin but with the consession that as soon as things started happening they would stop it and that's what they did....

DD was born at 6:01am...all 9 pounds of her.....how she got that big on a 12lb weight gain (i was really sick most of the time) baffles me...

I am hoping things progress this time and I don't need to be induced...I am 30wks this coming Saturday and started dilating with dd at 31wks (she's 3)....I don't want to go early but I would rather not go to 42wks this time if I can help it....esp after being pregnant in this midwest summer where we've already hit 100 twice.....I don't tolerate heat well not pregnant.... (unless I live next to the ocean....)......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page