Have you ever been induced? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Have you been induced?
yes ~ include natural induction methods 99 65.13%
no ~ this means to membrane stripping, no castor oil, etc 53 34.87%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
another just wondering from me i'm full of them this week i guess
#2 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 02:00 PM

Well, I don't know how to vote. My water broke spontaneously, and after waiting around for about 18 hours and trying all sorts of things to get cxes going, I got pitocin. So I guess I wasn't technically "induced" but I did have my labor "augmented." Next time, it's gonna be allllllll natural (HB)!

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#3 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 02:04 PM

I was induced with dd#1 - had a slooooow leak all day long, they hooked me up to pitocin and broke my water and eventually I had to have a cesarean. Not ever looking to be induced again!

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#4 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 02:04 PM

I don't know how to answer either. When I went past 41 weeks, my OB wanted to medically induce. So that night DP and I went home and did a lot of walking, ate spicy food, had sex and tried nipple stimulation. The next am I woke with contractions.
#5 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 02:04 PM

DD was 3 weeks "late". At the 2 week mark I tried castor oil a few times to get my false labors to try and kick in. Didn't work.

I also used evening primrose oil and lots and lots 'o sex to get DD to come.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#6 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 02:05 PM

I was induced with Cervadil.
#7 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 02:06 PM

Induced with cytotec and pitocen. No pain meds, though!
#8 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMama View Post
Well, I don't know how to vote. My water broke spontaneously, and after waiting around for about 18 hours and trying all sorts of things to get cxes going, I got pitocin. So I guess I wasn't technically "induced" but I did have my labor "augmented." Next time, it's gonna be allllllll natural (HB)!
i would say yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
I don't know how to answer either. When I went past 41 weeks, my OB wanted to medically induce. So that night DP and I went home and did a lot of walking, ate spicy food, had sex and tried nipple stimulation. The next am I woke with contractions.
i'd say yes, since all the stuff you tried obviously worked
#9 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMama View Post
This is why I was induced, too. My water broke. I was having contractions, but not strong. So, they gave me pitocin. The pitocin sucked. If I would have known they would have induced me, I wouldn't have gone to the hospital so soon.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#10 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Pitocin, and it was the worst experience of my life

IMO one of the best gifts to give your baby is to be able to choose his own birthday Best wishes for a beautiful birth!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#11 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 02:56 PM

I was induced, with pit, for my first two. It was so awful I went straight to sections for the next two. They were a RELIEF after the pit.!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#12 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 03:00 PM

i voted yes

i was schduled to be medically induced.

I was DTD and useing EPO and went to the actuprutist before that dfate -- all natural induction methods.

water wrok on its own.....after many hours of good active labor, labor stopped (I AHVE MANY THEORIES AS TO WHY -- sorry tot helping -- but that dosen't amtter)

After water had been broken so long,a dn no restart to labor i had a Pit IV......

so i have had both natrual and medical

A

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#13 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey2061 View Post
Quote:
Posted by artgoddess
i'd say yes, since all the stuff you tried obviously worked
But do I know that these things are what really worked? I was 41 plus weeks.
#14 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 03:11 PM

I was induced with my first son due to gestational diabetes. (Of course, a different OB let my second son (also with GD) come naturally... and he was delivered without an epidural at 9 lb 14 oz. )

I was not dilated at all and she still scheduled the induction. Luckily, I knew enough to be worried about that so went to an acupuncturist a few days before. That treatment probably saved me from a c-section, as I showed up 2 cms dilated.

Let's see... got to the hospital at around 6 a.m. and everything started around 7 a.m. Used cervidil and pitocin... ended up having an epidural... as well as IV antibiotics because I started to run a slight fever. Membranes were ruptured around 7 cms, I think. Near the end, she was talking about either vacuum extraction, forceps, or a c-section. DH knew more about these than I did, and was adamantly opposed to all. (He did a lot of deliveries during his internship.) Anyways... it got to the point where we kept begging for one more hour before intervention... one more hour.. etc. Ended up with an episiotomy and DS came before our last 30 minute deadline prior to intervention.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#15 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 03:17 PM

At 43w3d my mw stripped my membranes. I rubbed castor oil on my belly. Started labor that day, had DD early the next morning. Been dtd, taking epo, rrl, walking and squatting (everything!) for weeks prior.

I started losing my plug (bloody too) the night before she stripped the membranes though. so who knows?
#16 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 03:22 PM

No.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#17 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 03:28 PM

No. I went into spontaneous labour with ds1, and ended up cut when I got to the hospital and he was breech. I was bullied into a repeat with dd, when the u/s showed her in a footling breech position at 39 weeks. I ended up with another repeat with ds2 at 41w, 5d, but went into labour on my own before the surgery. To give the OB a little credit, he did say that he wouldn't induce a VBAC mom, as it's too risky. From what I've seen of his dealings with other women in my circle of friends/family, he's far from induction-happy, anyway.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#18 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 03:40 PM

Yes. My pregnancy went to 43 weeks and 3 days. I was 4 centimeters dilated for over a week. I had mild contractions for a few days, but they weren't progressing. I took a lot of cohosh for a few days- nothing. Took long walks, had sex, ate spicy food, took drives on bumpy roads, you name it. Just Braxton-hicks type contractions. Then, my amniotic fluid measured low, while I started seriously retaining fluid in my hands and feet. No pre-eclampsia, but the MW thought it was best to induce, anyway.

MW broke my water at 12:30, and started IV pit at 1:30. I started pushing around 4:30, and my daughter was born at 5:12, with no pain medication.

I didn't find the pitocin experience to be especially bad (but I hated having the needle in my hand- I get icked out by needles). Compared to what other people talk about, my labor seemed pretty easy. Maybe because I was already so dilated? Maybe because women in my family have babies easily? I don't know.

After the fact, my MW said that I am probably just one of those women who "cooks" a baby a little longer, and that it'll probably be a long pregnancy with the next one, too. If that's the case, I hope I can figure out how to avoid an induction next time. It wasn't so bad, but I don't want to do it again.
#19 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 03:49 PM

I was induced with both of my girls with Cervadil the night before, and Pitocin in the morning (first time with a doctor, second with a CNM).
#20 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 03:54 PM

#1 38 Weeks, Cervadil at night, pitocin for nearly 3 full days, emergency c-section
#2 37 Weeks, Cervadil at night, pitocin, vaginal delivery (VBAC)
#3 38 weeks, Stripped membranes, vaginal delivery

This time, I'll bake until ready and won't be induced.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#21 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 04:08 PM

With my twins I was induced at 34w for TTTS and IUGR. Cervidil. Nice vaginal birth.

With #3 I asked my CNM to strip my membranes at 39w, did nothing. I took castor oil at 39w5d. Did nothing -- well except for make me sit on the toilet all night. Water broke on my edd, no ctx for about 8h, so I got on the breast pump and went from no ctx to a zillion.

Wish I'd just left well enough alone I'll do better this time

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#22 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 05:10 PM

During the last days (I gave birth at 40w1d) I chose to have sex, orgasm, use nipple stimulation to try to induce labor. Nothing else.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#23 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 05:53 PM

I said yes because I used natural induction techniques like castor oil. However, none of them worked and baby came when it was ready anyway.
#24 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 06:15 PM

No, but just barely escaped it
With my first, I was scheduled to be induced at 7 am and I went into labor naturally at 2am.
I am very thankful for that

Mom to 2 little ladybugs, age 4 and 6, and wife to that guy that lives here. 
#25 of 53 Old 06-15-2007, 06:27 PM

Yes, I was induced with Pitocin at 36w due to pre-e. It was awful.
#26 of 53 Old 06-16-2007, 04:41 AM

Nope. Labor surprised me when it started on my due date and I had a beautiful home waterbirth 6 hours later. The mws didn't touch me until checking me for the first time at 8 cm.
#27 of 53 Old 06-16-2007, 10:38 AM

Nope, not with either birth. For my first though, the mw kept asking me to do nipple stimulation, which made the contractions stronger and less comfortable. For my second I didn't mess around like that at all. I don't feel that most induction methods are safe--I prefer to let the baby come when it's ready.
#28 of 53 Old 06-16-2007, 12:51 PM

#1) Preeclampsia, cervedil, home, back to hospital36 hours later, pit for 9 hours with no results, not even ouchy contrx, then against my better judgement ("it's time to sh** or get off the pot"-"we can just take you to the back now" directly quoted from Dr. Jenifer Cannon) my water was broken by her and boom off I went. Had baby by 3.04 that afternoon with one dose of crappy stadol that should not even be legal to give. Oh and an amnioinfusion and all the internals that you don't want.

#2) Membranes stripped by midwife. nothing happens. I decide, I have got to get this beast out! I decide to do castor oil in the AM. We have some wicked sex, and boom-I wake up with bloody show at about 8 am. And then contrax. I turn into those women who freak and call their midwife to come over. She says chill...(kinda, I worked for her as her assistant at this time). She comes over a couple of hours later and I am 3. Beautiful home waterbirth at 4.03 in the afternoon.
#29 of 53 Old 06-16-2007, 12:55 PM

No, but I wished I was. I was only a day away from it.
#30 of 53 Old 06-16-2007, 04:27 PM

I was induced with cytotec then pitocin due to pre eclempsia. I would never again agree to an induction unless absolutely medically necessary (which I feel mine definitly was). I did do it without pain meds though!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page