Stay @ Home Moms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pregnant and trying to find a way to earn money while I stay @ home with the baby. I am looking for some good legitamit homebased jobs to help with household expenses!
#2 of 6 Old 06-21-2007, 05:19 PM

I don't really have any ideas, but just wanted to say that I honor you for this! I hope you find your answer!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#3 of 6 Old 06-22-2007, 09:43 PM

I babysit for not-stay-at-home moms. It's not a big source of income, but it's fun, and it gives my ds someone to play with every day.

hapersmion
#4 of 6 Old 06-22-2007, 10:43 PM

I'll look around for you; I've been struggling with this same thing for awhile now.

I'm being really pulled in the direction of becoming a doula, so I think that once my newest daughter is a bit older I'll start to work with my own doula.

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#5 of 6 Old 06-22-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmoro311 View Post
...I am looking for some good legitamit homebased jobs to help with household expenses!
Daycare mentioned by PP is a popular option. If you don't want to be tied down all day and live near and elementary school (or a school bus stop), you could offer before and after-school care.

Do you have any hobbies, special skills, or training that you could market? Some moms do after school tutoring in their homes, some give foreign language lessons, some give music lessons, some run etiquette classes, and in college I ran biology labs for homeschoolers. If you sew you could do custom tailoring (especially popular during wedding season) and mending, do piecework sewing for businesses, or give sewing lessons. I know one mom who read and taught herself to make herbal tinctures and balms and another to make soaps and lotions. They sold these to co-ops, online, and at the local farmers' market. I know one mom who loves to organize who set up a business advertising, preparing for, and running garage sales for folks who wanted to get rid of stuff but didn't like all the tasks involved in a garage sale. She had sales booked probably three weekends a month May through September. I think her rate was 1/2 the take. I have a friend who knows American Sign Language. Because all the home daycares that get government funds are required to take continuing education classes, Marybeth's classes are always full. I know another mom who did well enough shopping garage sales and thrift sales and reselling on eBay to make up her entire lost full-time income. If you take a good inventory of your skills and interests, it should be easy to find folks who need your help. Most of it is just commitment, networking, and marketing.

Traditional office jobs that work well from home include transcription, medical billing, and bookkeeping. Bookkeeping is especially flexible if you get several small business that might only need 4 to 8 hours a week worth of work. Jobs that are easy to take your baby along include housekeeping, dog walking, and delivering newspapers.

Hope that helps kick off your brainstorming session.

~BV
#6 of 6 Old 06-23-2007, 01:16 AM

Remember that there are some jobs you can do while the baby is awake/wanting attention, like day care, and there are some jobs you have to do while the baby is asleep, like sewing or medical billing. If you want to have time off while the baby is asleep, choose something you can do while he/she is awake. If you want to have total freedom for you baby while he/she's awake, choose something you'll do in the down time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page