Red Head Genes and Hemorrhaging? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 28 Old 07-03-2007, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
 
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Urdhva Dhanurasana
Posts: 1,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are the two related? Or is this an old wives tale I heard somewhere?
Gumby is offline  
#2 of 28 Old 07-03-2007, 02:21 PM
 
lyttlewon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanySmiles View Post
Are the two related? Or is this an old wives tale I heard somewhere?
Are you saying you are a red head or are you talking about birthing a red head? My sister is a red head and didn't have hemmorage issues birthing my neice and my mom didn't have any birthing her either.
lyttlewon is offline  
#3 of 28 Old 07-03-2007, 07:23 PM
 
lunamegn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: mountains
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, if you're talking about a red head mother then I have to say that I've never had a problem with hemorrhaging.
lunamegn is offline  
#4 of 28 Old 07-03-2007, 07:30 PM
 
sophi4ka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also have red hair and my midwife said that I might be at a higher risk for hemorrhaging from her experience.
Also, I read that from Ayurveda perspective there is a link between red headed people and hemorrhaging.

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
sophi4ka is offline  
#5 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 AM
 
junamoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: in a really loud house
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find that they bleed a little extra. I am diligent with the red headed pp checks.
junamoss is offline  
#6 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 12:23 AM
 
dove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 1,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm red headed and hemorrhaged badly. both a quick hemorrhage right away and a slow pp hemorrhage...and i had a peaceful (but long) non-interventional, non hospital birth...

my mom, who is her father's clone (blonde, tans easily, green eyes), did not x 4 natural births.
her mom, who is a red head, did for 2 out of 2 births.
her mom's mom, also a red head, died of a slow pp hemorrhage.

as a practitioner myself, i have noticed that a certain hair/skin/eye combo seems to hemorrhage ...i do keep an eye on women who have this coloring...
dove is offline  
#7 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 12:25 AM
 
e.naomisandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bled both births. Every midwife I've questioned about it says this seems true to her. Still, purely anectodal...

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
e.naomisandoval is offline  
#8 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 12:45 PM
 
MsElle07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The reason this is true (for many readheads, not all) is because the gene that causes red headedness tends to travel with other genes, such as the gene for left handedness, a high tolerance for anesthesia medications (meaning you need more of them to become numb), sensitive skin/eczema, and a tendency to bleed more than others.
MsElle07 is offline  
#9 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 12:46 PM
A&A
 
A&A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElle07 View Post
The reason this is true (for many readheads, not all) is because the gene that causes red headedness tends to travel with other genes, such as the gene for left handedness, a high tolerance for anesthesia medications (meaning you need more of them to become numb), sensitive skin/eczema, and a tendency to bleed more than others.
Interesting...........I'm red-headed and left-handed but no hemorrhaging.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
A&A is offline  
#10 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 01:06 PM
 
fruitful womb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 2,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
fruitful womb is offline  
#11 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 01:09 PM
 
Marlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Closer to home..
Posts: 9,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister is a red head and we've talked about this one before. She has found that she doesn't neccessarily bleed more just heavier (does that make sense? )

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Marlet is offline  
#12 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 01:21 PM
 
caricandothis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Area NY
Posts: 1,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My SIL is red-headed and her drs told her that when she was in labor with my niece. I was there when she birthed her and was nervous for her but she did fine, didn't hemmorage at all (thank God!).

That is very interesting about the eczema though...she does have bad eczema! I'll have to tell her that! My dd is also a red-head (see link in my siggy ) and she does tend to bleed a little more than my non-red-heads and she has eczema as well.
caricandothis is offline  
#13 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 03:15 PM
 
lyttlewon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElle07 View Post
The reason this is true (for many readheads, not all) is because the gene that causes red headedness tends to travel with other genes, such as the gene for left handedness, a high tolerance for anesthesia medications (meaning you need more of them to become numb), sensitive skin/eczema, and a tendency to bleed more than others.
Interesting...my sister doesn't have any of those traits. Maybe that is why she didn't have bleeding issues. I bled way worse than her. She has always been a terrible bruiser.
lyttlewon is offline  
#14 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 03:19 PM
 
gretasmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another red haired mom, told by my midwife that she would be on the look out for hemorrhaging . . . .fortunately I had no troubles with bleeding unusually. I do tend to have very heavy periods, though.
gretasmommy is offline  
#15 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 03:19 PM
 
kittywitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Room of Requirement
Posts: 13,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElle07 View Post
The reason this is true (for many readheads, not all) is because the gene that causes red headedness tends to travel with other genes, such as the gene for left handedness, a high tolerance for anesthesia medications (meaning you need more of them to become numb), sensitive skin/eczema, and a tendency to bleed more than others.
Hey, that's me! Well, I am right handed and my hair isn't "red" but it is quite copper and there are a lot of red headed and left handed people in my family.

I bled a lot during my first two births and actually seized with my son.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif
 
  

kittywitty is online now  
#16 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
 
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Urdhva Dhanurasana
Posts: 1,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
Are you saying you are a red head or are you talking about birthing a red head? My sister is a red head and didn't have hemmorage issues birthing my neice and my mom didn't have any birthing her either.
Yeah I meant red-headed genes for mama (well, baby too I guess). I'm not red-headed per se (auburn a bit) but my aunt is, my mom kind of is (if she wouldn't color her hair), gramma yes, so I have the genes.

I hemorrhaged badly even though I took nearly every precaution possible while pg.

That's interesting what you say MsElle, there's also a lot of left-handedness in my mom's family.

My mw mentioned that she had noticed a correlation and I thought I had read it somewhere.
Gumby is offline  
#17 of 28 Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 PM
 
AngieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend who is a redhead and she said that when she went to the hospital to give birth the nurses all said. "oh, we have a redhead get the blood ready for transfusion." But she didn't have any problems.
AngieB is offline  
#18 of 28 Old 07-05-2007, 10:22 AM
 
MsElle07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having an out of hospital birth with an unmanaged third stage and immediate BFing will definitely help limit excessive bleeding.

At my most recent birth, the baby was born (9+lbs, so a large placental site), the placenta birthed spontaneously, no uterine massage, just lots of skin to skin and nursing right away, and I had very very little bleeding. Contrast that with my second birth with a smaller baby: immediate nursing/skin to skin, but the MW did cord traction and messed around with the placenta. Lots and lots of bleeding, requiring pitocin and was a borderline hemmorhage.
MsElle07 is offline  
#19 of 28 Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 PM
 
mwherbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 5,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
haven't read a study to the effect-- and in my experience Native Americans atleast from the regions I have lived in -have a higher incidence of hemorrhage-
maybe it had to do with in the past women who cultivated very pale skin and were unhealthy and example would be eating arsenic -- also there is the very poor/starving aspect of the Irish and Scots that may have had an impact in the past---
here is a link to an abstract --
http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/...ract/102/1/313
mwherbs is offline  
#20 of 28 Old 07-05-2007, 03:12 PM
 
Clarinet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a red-head and no one ever told me this. My first birth was fine. Bleeding after my second was a bit concerning but not what I would call a hemmorhage. I was on an IV for several hours and they checked me often. I felt very run-down, moreso then my first, but not faint or anything.

I'm not left-handed but I do have a high tolerance to anesthesia and sensitive skin.
Clarinet is offline  
#21 of 28 Old 07-05-2007, 05:44 PM
 
nimblemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: IN
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read that "redheads bleed". My friend, who is a strawberry blonde, hemmorhaged with her first birth, but was okay with her second. My brother, who has reddish hair, has eczema and is left-handed. My dd (who is 3) has red hair and fair, fair skin. People always mention that she must have sensitive skin, but she has never had skin issues, and only a few diaper rashes. My son, who is blonde and has slighter darker skin than dd, has had more baby skin issues than his sister.
nimblemama is offline  
#22 of 28 Old 07-08-2007, 11:17 PM
 
kittywitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Room of Requirement
Posts: 13,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
haven't read a study to the effect-- and in my experience Native Americans atleast from the regions I have lived in -have a higher incidence of hemorrhage-
maybe it had to do with in the past women who cultivated very pale skin and were unhealthy and example would be eating arsenic -- also there is the very poor/starving aspect of the Irish and Scots that may have had an impact in the past---
here is a link to an abstract --
http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/...ract/102/1/313
Thanks for that. Interesting stuff.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif
 
  

kittywitty is online now  
#23 of 28 Old 07-16-2007, 10:13 PM
 
lizabird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Feeding the birds in NC
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife seemed to think red heads were more prone to excess bleeding. My mom (redhead) lost a lot of blood after me and had to stay in the hospital for a week after giving birth to me (for blood loss complications). My great grandmother (redhead) died of post partum hemmorage. I got the pitocin shot right after I gave birth to ds1 (given my family history, I agreed with the midwife to do this) and still bled quite a lot, but not enough to be considered dangerous. So, I don't know if it's a wivestale or not, but I certainly do havea family history of both redheadedness and post partum hemmorage. (I have red hair too).

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
lizabird is offline  
#24 of 28 Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 AM
 
2sweetboysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Still feeling lost in So.Cal. after 17 years.
Posts: 1,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElle07 View Post
The reason this is true (for many readheads, not all) is because the gene that causes red headedness tends to travel with other genes, such as the gene for left handedness, a high tolerance for anesthesia medications (meaning you need more of them to become numb), sensitive skin/eczema, and a tendency to bleed more than others.
Auburn-red hair here:
-right handed but really coordinated with left hand too
-Very high tolerance for pain meds ( I was 25 before I knew that it was possible to not feel pain at the dentist)
-Dry sensitive skin and eczema
-No hemorage or heaver than normal bleeding

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

2sweetboysmom is offline  
#25 of 28 Old 07-17-2007, 07:26 PM
 
zoeyzoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElle07 View Post
The reason this is true (for many readheads, not all) is because the gene that causes red headedness tends to travel with other genes, such as the gene for left handedness, a high tolerance for anesthesia medications (meaning you need more of them to become numb), sensitive skin/eczema, and a tendency to bleed more than others.
Interesting... do you have to be a red head or can this happen if it runs in families? My grandmother was a red head and most of my cousins on that side of the family are red heads.

Does it tend to follow on side of the family like the mother or the father like some genes?
zoeyzoo is offline  
#26 of 28 Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 PM
 
Artisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 5,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You have to inherit a mutated copy of the gene that causes redheadedness from BOTH parents in order to be a redhead/have redhead characteristics.
Artisan is offline  
#27 of 28 Old 07-18-2007, 03:05 PM
 
thefreckledmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suburban Midwest
Posts: 2,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElle07 View Post
The reason this is true (for many readheads, not all) is because the gene that causes red headedness tends to travel with other genes, such as the gene for left handedness, a high tolerance for anesthesia medications (meaning you need more of them to become numb), sensitive skin/eczema, and a tendency to bleed more than others.
Yep. That's me with exception to the bleeding. I've never had a problem with any bleeding out of the ordinary, after birth or otherwise. As for the anesthesia thing-SO TRUE for me. Locals rarely if ever work, and only in excessive doses. I usually just have to be knocked out. As a matter of fact, when my OB was getting ready to stitch me up after my 2nd, and was 'pinching' me to see if I needed anything, and I said I could feel it, and she said, "I figured you would,...I usually need a little extra with my redheaded moms." I'm glad she realized it because when I was 14 I had to get stitches in my thumb, and the stupid rag of a doctor basically said I was lying when I said I could feel it after she numbed it, and said there was no possible way. Let me tell you, I felt EVERYTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetboysmom View Post
Auburn-red hair here:
-right handed but really coordinated with left hand too
-Very high tolerance for pain meds ( I was 25 before I knew that it was possible to not feel pain at the dentist)
-Dry sensitive skin and eczema
-No hemorage or heaver than normal bleeding
That's me too, except for the eczema.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

thefreckledmama is offline  
#28 of 28 Old 07-18-2007, 05:37 PM
 
mrskennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not true for me. I'm the reddest redhead you've ever seen--bright red, and fair-skinned and I didn't hemorrhage. Felt fine after birth, but knew I couldn't get up and run a marathon or anything like that. BTW, I'm also right-handed (not left), and I don't bleed easily or need more anesthesia than others. No dry skin. High tolerance for pain--bring it on!--but not the meds.
mrskennedy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off