Advice?! hemorraging & clots 2 wks after C-section - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 3 Old 07-11-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
batsoup's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: East of Philly, West of the ocean
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
I'm posting to collect advice for a dear friend of mine who had an emergency C-section about 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks later, she started hemorraging (sp?). She's been in and out of the ER and Drs office. They gave her medication to stimulate contractions, which she's off of now. But she still has very large clots in her uterus, which she needs to pass by Tuesday. If not, she goes in for surgery: endoscopy and D&C.

Does anyone have any advice for how to help her pass these clots? Exercise, herbs, abdominal massage? (i'm just guessing)

She needs support and to NOT have surgery -- she's already had to be away from her DD for over 24 hrs one of the times.

Please weigh in with your thoughts! Thanks in advance on her behalf!
batsoup is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 3 Old 07-11-2007, 03:59 PM
wifeandmom's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just guessing here, but I wonder if fundal massage would help the uterus contract at this point? That's what they do after delivery to stimulate contractions to shrink the uterus. Obviously nursing would stimulate uterine activity, so maybe pumping on top of nursing the baby would help?

I have no clue if either of those would do any good, but hopefully someone else will have some ideas too.

Hopefully she'll be able to avoid more surgery! That was always a fear of mine.
wifeandmom is offline  
#3 of 3 Old 07-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Belle's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver, (Not BC) WA (Not DC)
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by batsoup View Post
she started hemorraging (sp?)... But she still has very large clots in her uterus, which she needs to pass by Tuesday. If not, she goes in for surgery: endoscopy and D&C.
Is she still hemorraging? If she is it seems like a long time to wait until tuesday for clots to pass. I spent a couple hours hemmoraging and passing large clots during my m/c and I lost half my blood volume in those couple hours. I ended up with an ambulance ride, an emergency d&c, and a transfusion.

I guess it just seems strange to me that they would take her off of the contraction stimulating drugs if she still has large clots.

With a scheduled d&c she would probably be at the hospital for about 4 hours or so. She may even be able to nurse her baby right before the surgery. If she needs a transfusion they will have to keep her overnight for observation.

Please understand, I'm not advocating automatic surgery, I'm just curious why they would wait so long if she's losing a lot of blood.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Belle is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 16,126

45 members and 16,081 guests
bananabee , BarefootBrooke , cloa513 , cryswilkins , Dakotacakes , danzergurl00 , Deborah , emmy526 , fange , Gao Yusi , girlspn , hillymum , Hopeful2017 , Iron Princess , jamesmorrow , joycef , judybean , katelove , kathymuggle , Kelleybug , lhargrave89 , LiLStar , Lucee , Lydia08 , mama24-7 , manyhatsmom , Michele123 , Mirzam , moominmamma , NaturallyKait , Pamelajamundsen , rightkindofme , Saladd , shantimama , Shmootzi , Skippy918 , Springshowers , thefragile7393 , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.