for those of you who have given birth in a hospital... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: have any of these things ever happened to you at a hospital birth?
I've had a medical intervention performed on me without my consent being asked for 104 100.00%
I've had a medical intervention performed on me after I said "No" 43 100.00%
a medical intervention was performed on my child after birth without asking for my consent 90 100.00%
a medical intervention was performed on my child after birth after I instructed the staff not to 42 100.00%
the hospital obtained, or threatened to obtain a court order if I didn't follow their instructions 5 50.00%
the hospital contacted, or threatened to contact CPC if I didn't follow their instructions 8 80.00%
I was told I couldn't see my child unless I consented to some intervention being done on him/her 10 100.00%
my huspand/partner/labor support person were not allowed to be present with me during the birth 7 70.00%
I've given birth in a hospital, but none of these things have happened 195 100.00%
N/A, I've never given birth in a hospital 16 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 64 Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our experience was just about perfect (for the hospital!!). When we came in the triage nurse actually read our birthplan!!! She said, "I see you request no offers of pain medication. Good for you! I'll tell you know that if you change your mind that's fine, let us know, but otherwise it won't be mentioned again." And it wasn't. They only did a vaginal upon admittance and when the shift change came the 2nd nurse asked permission (and I consented). Everyone was very helpful, very respectful. That said, I chose this hopstial (and my OB) based on that reputation.

If you know what you want, write a clear, polite and succinct birth plan. Get your doctor to agree to it and ask the nursing staff to read it as they come on (which they are more likely to do if it is less than 1 page and easy to scan). And be confident of yourself. You can totally have the birth you want anywhere!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#62 of 64 Old 07-19-2007, 12:17 AM

I had two hospital births. The only time something was done without my consent was to me. My blood pressure was spiking rapidly at the end of my labor with dd (firstborn), and afterward I was giving something (through an IV) to bring my blood pressure back down. I was informed as it was being given, rather than asked for my consent.

So . . . not ideal, but as far as these things go, it could have been worse. I expressed my concerns at my follow-up appointment, the doctor gave a qualified apology in that she didn't intend to avoid my consent but felt it was an emergency situation (although I don't remember feeling "off" or at risk), and with adjusting to my new life as a mama, I left it at that.

ETA: I should mention that she was a resident and I was one of her first birthing mamas, so I did give her more leeway than I would have given a more experienced doctor. On the other hand, in every other instance during my pregnancy and labor, she absolutely rocked and we got along very well. I think she just got caught up in the moment when it came to that one intervention.
#63 of 64 Old 07-30-2007, 01:40 PM

I had a really good hospital birth during my first time. I did, however, experience an episiotomy without consent, though. But I didn't know as much then about it as I know now.
#64 of 64 Old 07-30-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhagen View Post
I think something perhaps that maybe you left off the poll is "I was told a situation was emergent and a certain course of action was necessary, but none of that was true".
That was my expereience with my c/s.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page