Did you vomit during your natural (no pain meds) birth?? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did you vomit during your med-free birth?
Yes 220 47.41%
No 244 52.59%
Voters: 464. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 172 Old 07-19-2007, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No I didn't, but I did feel very nauseous for a little while.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#122 of 172 Old 07-20-2007, 04:17 PM

#1, hospital birth... not drug-free sadly, I had Nubain. The Nubain caused nausea/vertigo but I didn't :Puke thankfully.

#2 and #3 were both waterbirths @ home, no drugs obviously. No vomiting.
#123 of 172 Old 07-20-2007, 06:28 PM

#1, totally unmedicated birth center birth. Yes, I vomited.
#2, totally unmedicated (very fast) hospital birth. Did not have time to vomit.
#3, 1/2 shot of Nubain with this one, vomited.
#4, 1/2 shot of Nubain again, vomited once again.
#124 of 172 Old 07-20-2007, 11:04 PM

Vomitted during my hospital birth which including lying flat on my back with an epidural--UGH.

But no vomitting or nausea with my birth center delivery that was 100% au'natural.

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#125 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 05:42 PM

I took castor oil, and I so I was mostly pooping everything out, but I did get a little nauseous and threw up a little of the grapes I ate a few hours earlier. Nothing major. I had a 5 hour labor, and I threw up about 2-3 hours into it.
#126 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 06:59 PM

I had a natural, vaginal, drug-free birth and yes, I puked. I was feeling nauseous during the beginning of labor but once I vomited I felt tons better and was able to better concentrate on the contractions.
#127 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 07:15 PM

Birth of Dd1- yes, I threw up a little bit 1/x (5 hr. birthcenter labor)
Birt of Dd2- No and didn't feel sick to my stomach at all. (2-3 hr homebirth)

Neither medicated but AROM with first.
#128 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 07:20 PM

Med free/intervention free birth - no vomitting.

But holy mother, did I drink like a horse (is that saying? )

I downed so much water and Gatorade, that I started to feel nauseated, and had to slow down.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#129 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 09:52 PM

I did about 3 hours into a 6 hour labor. I don't remember feeling nauseated beforehand, it just happened and it was done.
#130 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 10:18 PM

nope, i didn't barf during either of my 2 natural births.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#131 of 172 Old 07-22-2007, 03:17 AM

I did...

I was a few hours into labor, though not transitioning yet. I puked when I tried to "use the bathroom." That pressure was just more than my stomach could bear.
#132 of 172 Old 07-22-2007, 03:49 AM

I started vomiting in transition and ended up getting very dehydrated. I tried, but couldn't keep any fluids down. I got pretty weak - too weak to push effectively. Let me tell ya - it is no fun to puke every time a contraction peaks during the late stages of labor. I'd really like to know what causes this (if anything) so I can avoid it next time. Because my midwife was prevented by law from giving me IV fluids : (and she was a nurse for 30 years, so she is obviously capable of administering an IV!), we transferred to the hospital so I could get an IV there. Aside from the IV and some oxygen, I didn't have any other medical interventions - so yeah, drug-free. Darn that stupid puking, though!
#133 of 172 Old 07-22-2007, 04:44 PM

I had 2 intervention-free, drug-free births and did not vomit either time although I felt slightly naseous both times.
#134 of 172 Old 07-29-2007, 02:19 AM

I vomited at transition during both of my home births!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#135 of 172 Old 07-29-2007, 05:41 AM

Only had one birth so far and it was medicated due to pre-e, but I am another barf-o-phobe who fights nausea. With my medicated birth (pitocin, magnesium, eventually fentanyl then epi) I got pretty nauseus right around 11 hours in before any pain meds, but it was due to massive heartburn from not being allowed anything solid to eat since induction began (and I never get heartburn). Once I got a shot (in a cup) of whatever nasty heartburn stuff the nurse gave me, no other nausea even after the fentanyl and no vomiting.

I'm going unmedded this time (yay, no need to be induced!!) and like some of the PP, vomiting or extreme nausea is my worst fear of labor, moreso than any pain.
#136 of 172 Old 07-29-2007, 06:10 AM

No, didn't vomit during any of my three natural (no pain meds) births.

The poll seems to be fairly close to 50/50, which surprises me. But to really tell, you'd also have to have a poll of people who did use pain meds - and compare those percentages with these.

Just among my friends, the women who threw up all had medicated births. I can't think of anyone I know who had natural births that got sick during. I had always heard it attributed to the pain meds mainly.
#137 of 172 Old 07-29-2007, 06:17 AM

Sorry to say...
Yes, over and over and over.
But then I tend to vomit a fair amount. What I mean by that nerves, motion sickness and other stuff always seems to affect my stomach so, maybe it's just me.
#138 of 172 Old 07-29-2007, 01:22 PM

My first - non-pain medicated hospital birth (had pitocon 45 minutes before babe was born and after the puke fest) - I was pooping and puking like crazy. That nurse cleaned up after me so many times. And she was always encouraging when she did. lol!

My other 2 births (non-medicated homebirths) I didn't vomit once.
#139 of 172 Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 AM

First baby I had pitocin. I vomited so bad. I still think pit played a part in it. But they gave me meds to stop it. Then I puked while pushing. I can explain the difference but there was a difference in puking plus it was more severe.

I thought with my next one there would be no vomiting because no pit........HAAAAAA!! It wasn't as intense but I still vomited pretty violently during transition and a few times while pushing. The same way with my third child. Both no meds.

With my first we went to the hospital at 9 am. I was 3-4 cm but had been in labor 24 hrs. I new it was time. I was holding my oldest daughter at 10:05 am. I went from 3-4 cm to fully dilated in about 30.

My second dd (third child). We got to the hospital about 9:PM. I decided to go just to have the doctor check me. She was 13/14 days past due date. I had been in and out of labor for 36 hrs. I would have a contraction, it would peak, go down a little but never fully stop for 5-15 minutes, peak again then abruptly stop. I had been doing that for a few hours. I had never read anything about contractions like that and I couldn't get comfortable with them in my mind. We both agreed if baby was OK we would leave. I got there they checked for dilation 2 cm (same thing I was for the past month and half). They put on a baby monitor watched me have two of these contractions (confirming to myself I wasn't nuts and listening to my body). Then doctor stop by. He had been out and said he wanted to watch a little longer. He was going to clean up, change clothes, and be right back. He left the room and WHAM!!! I had this overwhelming feeling. I told the nurse to check my cervix again. She started to argue that they don't like to check them this close it had only been about 20-30 minutes. My dh said I gave her the death look and she honored my wish. I was 7 cm. I started puking violently. I was fulling dilated and pushing at 10:PM puking had pretty much stopped. During this time my water never broke. My doctor prepared himself to get wet. He explained this to the nurse who had only read this in theory. At about 12:30 I asked him if the water was broke if it might make things move along. I was exhausted and wanted her out. He broke my water, I pushed another hour. While pushing her out I puke a little bit more it wasn't violent though.

All three of my labors were long labors. I had eaten during the beginning. When my body said stop, I stooped. I couldn't have survived if I did eat and drink when I felt like it.

To this day I think it is caused by me having such sudden and powerful transitions. I cannot explain the energy during transition. I labor pretty calmly. Pushing is calm. That transitition.............whoa.
#140 of 172 Old 07-30-2007, 11:30 AM

I didn't vomit, but right at transition when I was at 10 cm and starting to really push I gagged all of a sudden without even feeling nauseated. It wasn't strong enough to make me throw up, but it was such an odd sensation that just came up on me.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#141 of 172 Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 AM

Nope, in fact I have nausea and vomiting throughout all of my pregnancies from beginning to end and labor and birth are the only times during that time where I actually do not feel like vomiting. I think it is probably due to all of the adrenaline.
#142 of 172 Old 08-08-2007, 11:26 PM

no i did not throw up with natural but i did with medicated
#143 of 172 Old 08-09-2007, 12:03 AM

I threw up at least three times during my unmedicated birth. But honestly, there was so much else to focus on that it hardly made a blip on my radar. It doesn't really bother me THAT much when not in labor, but during it, I really couldnt have cared less. Here's wishing you a vomit-free birthing!
#144 of 172 Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 AM

Nope, not once with 4 unmedicated labors - but I almost never throw up in regular life, either. To the point that I can remember the last time I threw up - it was on my birthday in 1997!
#145 of 172 Old 08-09-2007, 12:50 AM

Oh I vomited (a lot). BUT I have only myself to blame. I cannot go for more than about 4-5 hours without food. I was warned not to eat because I might vomit, but I was soooo hungry. I started labor about 1:30am so I had not eaten since dinner. By the time it was breakfast in the hospital I needed food. No regrets, but then again I vomit every time I fly in a small airplane and there is the least bit of turbulence. I kind of look forward to vomiting because I always feel better afterwards

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#146 of 172 Old 08-09-2007, 12:52 AM

nope, no vomiting at all. no nausea, even.
#147 of 172 Old 08-09-2007, 04:41 AM

I voted yes because there was no yes and then no. Yes- several times with my first baby, but not at all with my second (though I thought I might and requested a bowl the second time, but didn't end up needing it). But it wasn't a big deal for me and my midwives told me you get a half a centimeter everytime you vomit.

Mama to two sweet boys and a baby girl.  
#148 of 172 Old 08-09-2007, 04:53 AM

Nope-They wouldnt let me eat anything from the time they gave the hormone shots(preterm labor) till the baby came out. Just saltine crackers and ice water/chips. I was ready to hit someone when they told me that I couldnt have water while I was IN labor: I was breathing so hard that I thought I was gonna pass out ~ but nope no nausea or vomiting.

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#149 of 172 Old 08-09-2007, 10:13 AM

I did once last time. With my first natural birth I didn't. I think last time it was because the labor was SO intense. I had only been in hard labor for an hour before I hit transition (which is when I threw up)

Suzanne~ wife to Jesse, Momma to 3

#150 of 172 Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 PM

Once during the transition phase with each of my UCs, but not during my medicated hospital birth. Luckily Dh had the puke bucket handy both times.

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page