did your mothers childbirth affect your own childbirth - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: did your mothers childbirth affect your own childbirth?
your mother had a vaginal birth and you did as well. 208 100.00%
your mother had a c-section and you also did. 13 100.00%
your mother had a vaginal birth and you had a c-section. 42 100.00%
your mother had a c-section and you had a vaginal birth. 50 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had heard somewhere that when a woman has a vaginal birth, it somehow teaches the female baby also how to birth. somehow sending a message to her body of what to do when it's her turn.
i wanted to see if this holds true in anyway.
did your mother have a c-section or vaginal birth and what was your own or your daughters birth experience?
#2 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 05:18 PM

Vaginal birth, completely knocked out, I was taken w/ forceps.

DS was born vaginally, demorol (useless!), and vacuum extractor.

DD was born vaginally, at home, no interventions.

#3 was m/c at home, no interventions

This one will also be born at home, no interventions.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#3 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 05:45 PM
~pi

My mother had two vaginal (NCB) births. I had an unplanned c/s.

Her first birth was me. Spontaneous labour, 45 minutes start to finish, no drugs.

Her second birth started with AROM. 2.5 hours later, my nearly 11 lb sister arrived.

I had my water broken at 40 weeks (I am type 1 diabetic.) 30 hours and many complications later, I had a c/s.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#4 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 PM

I was two weeks late from my due date, so mom was AROM'ed and I was pushed out by the doctor.

DD was nine weeks early and I had a placental abruption, so I had an C section.

So this is kinda like comparing apples and Chevrolets, isn't it?
#5 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 06:26 PM

I was born at home and that 100% affected my decision to HB.
#6 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 06:27 PM

That theory sounds farfetched to me.
#7 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 07:15 PM

I have not given birth yet, but my mother had 4 natural childbirths (in hospitals) and my goal is to have a natural birth at home. I don't know if I somehow 'absorbed' something in the birth, but I definitely think that hearing her talk about her experiences as I grew up had a major impact on me that I didn't realize until I became pregnant and had to think about the kind of birth I wanted. I'm sure it was much easier to have natural birth in a hospital 30 years ago than it is now, which is a big reason why I'll give birth at home.
#8 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornpicker View Post
I'm sure it was much easier to have natural birth in a hospital 30 years ago than it is now, which is a big reason why I'll give birth at home.
I'm pretty sure hospital births have become more natural in many ways in the last 30 years...
#9 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanMom View Post
I'm pretty sure hospital births have become more natural in many ways in the last 30 years...
I don't think that's the case. I had my first child 25 years ago. A lot of interventions were routine, but I think they were easier to avoid than they are today. Induction of labour was far less common, and so were C-secs. Hospitals didn't have such rigid policies about those procedures either, whereas now women have to go to ridiculous lengths to get a VBAC or wait for labour to start spontaneously if they have long pregnancies. Obstetrics has been moving away from "natural" birth for quite a few years now.
#10 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 08:03 PM

I was born by c-section, my son was born vaginally.
#11 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 08:03 PM

Mother had vaginal births, and I had one so far. I am currently preg, and hope to have another! My midwife says that I have a more than adequate pelvis, so lets hope!
#12 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornpicker View Post
I'm sure it was much easier to have natural birth in a hospital 30 years ago than it is now, which is a big reason why I'll give birth at home.
No not really from what my mom says. She was 17 when she had my brother in 1969 and told them she didn't want an epidural. They forced her to have one. Since she was only 17 she didn't know she could fight. She had to argue about my second brother in 1972 and was able to forgo the epi but he was taken to the nursery and given a bottle. It was a little easier for my sister in 1976 but she had me unassisted because midwives in her area were basically illegal and being sued like crazy in 1978.
#13 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 08:10 PM

I think that knowing how easy her births were helped my confidence, but that's about it. I knew that she birthed a 12lb baby with no meds and so I know that it was in my bones to birth a big baby if I had to.

Lisa (mom to 3 wonderful children)

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#14 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
That theory sounds farfetched to me.
:

If it teaches girls how to give birth, what does it teach boys?
#15 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiabugmom View Post
So this is kinda like comparing apples and Chevrolets, isn't it?

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#16 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My mom had 3 vaginal births, and so did I, but she had 3 unconscious hospital births and I had 3 home births.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#17 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
No not really from what my mom says. She was 17 when she had my brother in 1969 and told them she didn't want an epidural. They forced her to have one. Since she was only 17 she didn't know she could fight. She had to argue about my second brother in 1972 and was able to forgo the epi but he was taken to the nursery and given a bottle. It was a little easier for my sister in 1976 but she had me unassisted because midwives in her area were basically illegal and being sued like crazy in 1978.
Did epidurals exist in 1969? I thought they used "twilight sleep" or general anesthesia at that time?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#18 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 09:15 PM

my mother had a cesarean with general anesthesia, I was supposively stuck in the canal with dystocia.
I had a vaginal birth, the kid practically flew out of me
#19 of 80 Old 07-18-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
The same thing happened to my mom when she had my half-sister at 17 in 1974. She was ready to push and never felt like she was in enough pain to need a spinal but they made her.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#20 of 80 Old 07-19-2007, 08:15 PM

My mum had an induced labour after PROM.

I also had an induced labour after PROM (3 days later), but unfortunately had no dilation and no effacement from the induction, and DS was oblique, not vertex, so a c/s for me I was having contractions (visible on the CTG machine) but couldn't feel a thing.

I was definitely influenced by my mum's birth experiences. She has birthed 4 babies, all without any pain relief and one of them was 10lbs2oz. I grew up thinking that vaginal birth was normal, that pain relief wasn't necessary, and that birthing big babies was no harder than than any other size babies. I also grew up believing that induced labours were incredibly painful, as that is what my Mum experienced with me. That was one of the reasons I delayed induction, against medical advice, for 3 days after PROM. But weirdly, my induced labour was completely pain-free.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#21 of 80 Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My mom had two easy, natural vaginal births, and so have I.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#22 of 80 Old 07-19-2007, 08:49 PM

My mother had 4 c-sections, in part bc of policies against vbac. Her experience definitely helped shape my distrust of the birth industry and my determination to have my children at home. I have had one homebirth so far.
#23 of 80 Old 07-19-2007, 09:21 PM

My mom had 4 vaginal births. With me, she was given a spinal in the final, pushing moments without permission. With 2 of my brothers, she had no pain medication and with one of them she had pitocin.

My mom's experiences definately contributed to how I experienced my own births. Perhaps it was more of her talking about it than what she actually did, because I didn't SEE her births. I was told about them. We discussed them. Or I heard her talking about them to other women. I had two vaginal births with no pain meds. My mother also gave me enough info about pitocin to be able to protest it when the midwife suggested we would try that if the baby wasn't born in a few days.

Oh... and seeing her breastfeed definately contributed to my own assumption that breasts were for feeding babies...

Honestly, I don't see how the way a mom gives birth could NOT effect the way her daughter at least ends up thinking she's going to give birth. There's always some information a daughter recieves from her mom about the way to give birth. Even if it's never talked about... that would become information for a daughter to process.

my 2 cents

Shell
#24 of 80 Old 07-20-2007, 03:26 AM

My mother birthed my brother & I vaginally (no pain meds with me, at least, & probably not with my brother either; she read Mothering back in the day). I had two daughters by c-section and one vaginally.

I am not my mother. I have scoliosis. Sometimes this causes physical abnormalities that make malposition much more likely. I believe this to have been the case in all 3 of my pregnancies--the two who were breech were both footlings, & Esther was posterior no matter what I did.

Because of this issue, I cannot really compare my births to my mother's. Whether my children have problems will remain to be seen; I don't know if scoliosis is inherited. (And at any rate my problem may well be because of a traumatic injury, rather than true scoliosis.)

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#25 of 80 Old 07-20-2007, 12:42 PM

I think your mother's experience with birth influences your own attitude and expectations...but I don't think there is any sort of "physical imprinting" going on during birth. That just doesn't make sense to me or jive with what I know about biology.

My mom had two vaginal deliveries in the 70's. Both were in hospitals (one an army hospital in 74, one in the SF city hospital in 78). During my birth in 74 she was med free till close to crowning. Then she had a pudendal block and forceps against her wishes since this was "hospital policy"...ALL mothers were given a block and delivery was assisted no matter what. Her second birth (my bro) was without a block but they cut a huge episio which was again "standard of care" and he was given bottles during the hospital stay even though my mom bf us both to a year. According to the literature, births in hospital weren't any more likely to be intervention free in the 60s/70s...it was just a different set of interventions and a different set of birth expectations.

I had one unplanned c/s and one med free vbac.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#26 of 80 Old 07-20-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Did epidurals exist in 1969? I thought they used "twilight sleep" or general anesthesia at that time?
Of my grandmothers three kids my dad and uncle were born twilight 1941 and 1946. My second uncle was not born twilight 1957. I think it varied upon region. I know my mom was awake and she at least had a spinal anesthetic. Not sure if it was today's modern epi or not. She said she couldn't feel a thing and they had to direct her pushing because she felt no urge.
#27 of 80 Old 07-21-2007, 01:06 AM

We both birthed vaginally but had very different births. She with twilight sleep, epsiotomy, forcepts for me and epi, 2nd epsiotomy for my sister. I had an unmedicated birth.
#28 of 80 Old 07-21-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
My mom had twilight sleep in 1968 but an epi in 1971.
#29 of 80 Old 07-21-2007, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

well thanks everyone for polling. it does seem like imprinting at birth isn't true. i just wanted to see if there was any huge difference...good to know!

thanks again

: :
#30 of 80 Old 07-21-2007, 10:41 AM

I was born by C-section and Ds was born vaginally.

That said, my mother's experience had a huge impact on how I birthed. I was her first baby, she labored for 12 hours and then was forced to have a c-section. It was a hugely traumatic experience for her (she's a Christian Scientist).

And to be honest, I think it was traumatic for me, too. During my pregnancy I was extremely worried about being separated from my baby after birth. I mean, obsessed with this possibility. Almost every day I would bring it up with DH, and tell him that if I couldn't be with the baby right after birth he HAD to be there, talking to and holding the babe. It would make me cry every time I discussed it with him, but I couldn't let it go.

Towards the end of my pg, I mentioned this intense fear to my mom. She got real quiet, then told me that after I was born (at 5am) my dad went home. She was under general anesthesia and was knocked out until about noon. She didn't actually see me until 6pm that night.

So I was alone in the nursery for 12 hours after being born.

And let me tell you, I did everything in my power to make sure that my son's birth was perfect, peaceful and safe and that we would not be separated at all afterwards. I am so, so happy that things turned out well and I gave my son that. So yeah, I do think that the way you were born can impact how you give birth, though maybe not the way that was meant in the OP....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page