Length of labor... will they all be the same? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what ya'll think. I've had three labors, the shortest being 2 hours, 15 minutes total, the longest was 4 hours 15 minutes. With my 4th labor impending, I'm just wondering if I can expect it to be close to the same time frame or if I could be surprised with a longer, drawn out birth. I know it's impossible to tell for sure until it happens, but what is your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had two short labors, and my third was quite long. I would just go in with no expectations, and welcome whatever comes. You can't be disappointed that way.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:17 PM

:

Birth knows no time.

Although I will say that I'm envious that your longest labor was only 4 hours!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:20 PM

1st labor: 2 days of prodromal labor, then 20 hours of active labor.

2nd labor: 6.5 hours of active labor

I'm hoping #3 will be more like #2 than #1!!

Since you've had three labors that were all short, it seems likely from what I've heard that you won't have a long labor this time. I don't know whether to be jealous of you or not - how did it feel to have a 2 hour labor?

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 07-18-2007, 11:11 PM

My births get faster and easier.

A friend labors get longer each baby.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubris View Post
I don't know whether to be jealous of you or not - how did it feel to have a 2 hour labor?
Are you joking? It was the first one, and I thought I was going to die, literally. My midwife induced me with Cytotec (the drug from Hell) and I was nearly blacking out with the intensity of the contractions. I honestly think that set me up for the fast labors after that. However, I'd take another 4 hour one, it was the most "pleasant".

Kim
Old 07-19-2007, 02:24 AM

I had a two hour and 15 minute first labor and man was it ever intense. midwife made it with 15-20 minutes to spare- might have been faster but she helped me push the right way (was complete and pushing before she arrived) i was so glad I'd planned on a homebirth

I too am wondering what this next labor might bring. I hear it's usually close to the same for fast mamas- anyone had experience with this?

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Old 07-19-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi723 View Post
Are you joking? It was the first one, and I thought I was going to die, literally. My midwife induced me with Cytotec (the drug from Hell) and I was nearly blacking out with the intensity of the contractions. I honestly think that set me up for the fast labors after that. However, I'd take another 4 hour one, it was the most "pleasant".

Kim
4-hour labor vibes headed your way, then!

I had suspected that a 2 hour labor would be quite the white-knuckled roller coaster ride, but sometimes you hear about women who have these easy labors, just kindof suddenly go "hey, I'm pushing out a baby!" If you had had one of those rare labors, I would wish you another of those!

My 6-hour labor was much more of a fast and hard ride than the 20 hour one, but I liked it a little. : Very powerful. I wouldn't have wanted it any faster, though. It was about as much as I could handle.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 07-19-2007, 09:57 AM

DS 1: 2 hours and 15 minutes from first contraction to baby. Very, very hard, intense labor for me. It's all very much a blur in my mind, and was even the day after.

DS 2: 1 hour exactly from first contraction till baby. It seemed like the hour was all one big contraction, but afterwards I felt great! I consider this to have been an awesome birth, despite the intensity.

Though I have nothing to compare it to, I think short labors are really crazy. I would prefer a longer one, I think - my midwife thinks seven hours is the ideal length of labor. It's nice to have a little warm up period, I'd think - rather than go from nothing to transition, essentially (DS2). I have no idea why my body has babies this way!

If we ever have a third, we are taking no chances and having them at home . DS2 was born three minutes or so after we got to the Birth Center!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:21 AM

Mine were both similar *after* I got to a certain point -- after I got in the tub. With the first, the leadup to that point was shorter. WIth the second, I knew I was in labor, but it was like my body wouldn't kick out the jams and start dancing (so to speak) until I knew my DS was safe with our friends and I was where I wanted to be to birth (the hot tub at the hospital). Once I was "safe" in my mind, things progressed really quickly both times, but my body really held off the second time until things were "in order."

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

Old 07-20-2007, 01:47 AM

#1 - 14 hours (pit induction, full term)

#2 - 15 hours (pit induction, 36 weeks)

#3 - 4 hours (2 weeks overdue)

#4 - 21 hours (pit induction, 37 weeks)

Obviously babies are happier to come when they decide. But even my inductions have had some big variations.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:16 PM

1st: 27.5 total, about 12.5 active.
2nd: less than 4 hours total, all active.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

User Tag List