PROM @ 33w4d, breech presentation, currently home AMA--support please - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 220 Old 07-26-2007, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh mama, what an amazing birth. Thank you so much for sharing, and I will be vizualizing your sweet baby coming home with you very soon!!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#182 of 220 Old 07-26-2007, 01:46 PM

I'm glad they only had time to catch the baby!!! Way to go, Mama!!

Come home soon Baby!

Mama to three  
#183 of 220 Old 07-26-2007, 01:59 PM

Congratulations!!! I checked this thread everytime I turned on the computer for updates. I am so happy you didnt have to have another c section!!!!

I hope baby gets to come home to you soon!!!
#184 of 220 Old 07-26-2007, 02:11 PM

Hooray! Congratulations, breech mama! I'm so glad you didn't let those doctors stop you. With luck your baby will be home in no time.

hapersmion
#185 of 220 Old 07-26-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much. I can't tell you how much your support and encouragement have meant to me. I had so little of it IRL, and you've all made this so much better for us. THANK YOU!

4 kids under 10
#186 of 220 Old 07-26-2007, 02:56 PM

YAY!!! I'm so glad you got the birth you wanted!!! (even though it was early) And I'm thrilled that you used my name suggestion! -Maverick- I'm giddy!

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#187 of 220 Old 07-26-2007, 03:22 PM

You are so AWESOME! What an inspiring story! I love Oscars name and kudos to your birth support team! Hoping Oscar comes home soon,
Angela
#188 of 220 Old 07-26-2007, 03:40 PM

Congrats! I hope he gets to come home soon. You sound so calm for having a baby in the NICU.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#189 of 220 Old 07-26-2007, 04:28 PM

What a beautiful, inspiring story mama!

Welcome to your Oscar and I hope he is home with you soon!

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#190 of 220 Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Mamas!

Thank you once again for your support and encourgement. You have been an inspiration and I never knew I could feel so empowered by birth, especially after my past experiences.

I have posted my birth story on my personal blog: http://mercurysunrise.ath.cx/

I wasn't going to talk about the breech issues I was having, but have become inspired to raise consciousness and honour what was this birth. I feel it's important and how can I tell a birth story without these things being part of it? I wanted to avoid it because I have been nervous about how friends and family would respond; they are generally very trusting of medical professionals and I worried they'd think I was nuts. But, I've laid it out there and I feel good about it. Yet, if you have a chance, I would appreciate you leaving words of support in the comments section of my blog so that my friends and family know that I'm not the only one who believes in what I did. You don't need to sign in or anything; just visit and comment. I would really appreciate it mamas!

THANKS and enjoy the pictures!

4 kids under 10
#191 of 220 Old 07-27-2007, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas!

4 kids under 10
#192 of 220 Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, mama. Thank you.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#193 of 220 Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM

I posted as Danile.
#194 of 220 Old 07-27-2007, 12:23 PM

I'm so glad this all worked out!

Just to add a bit to your birth story: it's normal for a breech head to take a couple minutes to be born. It's also normal for them to appear "shocked" a bit after the birth, but provided the cord is left intact, they come around with very little resuscitation.

The sucking issue is one that I'm sure will resolve soon as your babe gets older!

You did amazing! I'm so happy for you and feel like your resolve to birth your baby on your terms is the true essence of MDC!
#195 of 220 Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
I'm so glad this all worked out!

Just to add a bit to your birth story: it's normal for a breech head to take a couple minutes to be born. It's also normal for them to appear "shocked" a bit after the birth, but provided the cord is left intact, they come around with very little resuscitation.
Thanks for noting this. It was something my midwife had warned me about and I was prepared for. The OB and nurses seemed to freak out though. It was only 2 minutes from bum to head which really is not that long for a breech. I was also prepared for the "shocked" part but everyone else seemed to freak out. I felt confident that he would be fine. Strangely calm. I am normally prone to the freaking out myself.

4 kids under 10
#196 of 220 Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM

that's because you're highly intuitive.
#197 of 220 Old 07-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Congratulations! What an inspiration to us all!

Kiley
#198 of 220 Old 07-28-2007, 05:22 AM

I left a message on your blog. Well done mama, you are an inspiration!

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#199 of 220 Old 07-28-2007, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, what inspiring messages you've left! Thanks so much! I have gained so much confidence in myself, and faith in my ability to make good choices. I am also amazed that I can once again trust my body and my intuition.

Oscar has jaundice, which is keeping him in, but all tubes and IV are out and his bili levels went down today. He *might* come home tonight, but might be tomorrow or Monday. He's fantastic. Breastfeeding is a challenge as he won't/can't latch yet, but I'm pumping and we've got support lined up. He had a tongue-tie that was clipped the other day. I had one that was clipped when I was 12 to try and help me with my speech (it worked!) and it required 7 stitches to repair. My oldest dd had hers clipped after we had a lot of breastfeeding difficulties in her first week. This time, I was pleased to go ahead and do it without waiting to see. He didn't even flinch.

4 kids under 10
#200 of 220 Old 07-28-2007, 02:19 PM
zak

Congrats, Mama!!!!

-zak- Mama to three fantastic sons - 2005, 2007 & 2010 and expecting a daughter February 2012!

#201 of 220 Old 07-28-2007, 05:12 PM

SS...as an aside, do you have LLL in your area? I'm seeing some kind of borderline inaccurate info from your LC about premies...and I'd love to see if your LLL Leader might have a different perspective that may help Oscar latch sooner. If you pm me I might be able to help you find a group in your area, if you're interested, and willing to try a different method of feeding until he gets a good latch down...

Oh, and you may see increased input and still not a ton of gain, as bililights tend to make the baby dehydrated (personal experience with that...), but it sounds like he's doing fine!

Looking forward to hearing that he's come home!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#202 of 220 Old 07-29-2007, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I will have to look into the LLL. I've never had an easy time breastfeeding, and this preemie business is just way beyond anything I was prepared for. It's going well right now in terms of pumping, and just last night he latched for the first time and suckled a wee tiny bit. He should be coming home this morning and I think having him home will make all the difference. It's sort of tricky while he's in NICU because if they don't take their supplement then you risk them not coming home. It's really discouraging to breastfeeding mothers.

4 kids under 10
#203 of 220 Old 07-29-2007, 01:48 PM

Hoping he's home!

My friend's baby had to spend a few days in a NICU - also not at all supportive of breastfeeding. But once home she was able to give him 24 hour access to a bare breast. He usually ignored it, and was getting bm from a bottle. But when he was 3 weeks old, he latched on and hasn't had a bottle since!!! Don't give up!!!

Mama to three  
#204 of 220 Old 07-29-2007, 03:38 PM

What I would suggest to to continue to pump, but to use a Supplemental Nursing System to give him any supplemental breastmilk you may need to give him. This will allow him to get the "extra" he mght need, and still cause him to latch on YOU rather than a bottle nipple, which uses completely different muscles. In essence, in order to breathe, a baby MUST swallow when a bottle nipple is in it's mouth. The function of a nipple is such that it automatically puts milk in the baby's mouth, therefore causing the baby to swallow in order to breathe. With the breast, however, the baby must suckel, using completely different muscles, in order to "milk" the breast. This is why some babies who are started on a bottle have a MUCH more difficult time nursing at the breast later...they are simply taught to "get" their sustenance in a manner that won't get results on a breast, and then they can get frustrated when you put them to the breast to nurse.

Statistically, it's actually a LOT less stressful for most babies to suckel at the breast than it is to do the "hurry up and swallow" that they have to do with a bottle. If you would prefer, however, NOT to use the SNS, you could also consider using a syringe or using the tubing from the SNS and finger feed, which is much closer muscle-wise for the baby to become accustomed to "nursing" than bottle feeding is.

Just some thoughts...I know that you've been really focused on the birth and now on getting the baby home from the hospital. Now, if you want to focus on breastfeeding, it would be a GREAT idea to call a Leader tonight and see if they can give you some help. I'm a leader, and could probably find out for you where the nearest Leader in your area is.

You're doing GREAT mama. I hope I"m not overwhelming you with this info, but you've been working so hard, I'd hate for misinformation to sabotage your breastfeeding relationship.

Check out drjacknewman.com he has a LOT of great information, is more than willing to anwser emails with questions, and is all around a great guy, from the experiences I've had with him.

TAKE CARE, and I look forward to reading more updates! :

#205 of 220 Old 07-29-2007, 10:24 PM

congrats on your little guy! I looked at his pics and read your story on your blog, he is beautiful and holy cow BIG for so early! yay for a strong lil guy!!
#206 of 220 Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 PM

I second what courtenay_e posts. Babies learn to breastfeed by breastfeeding and moms learn how to breastfeed by breastfeeding. I encourage you to supplement your breastfeeding education you are receiving from the LC with Dr. Newman's information. According to him, there should be no problems with a 32 weeker exclusively breastfeeding and spending most of babies time skin to skin with mom (no reason baby can't be monitored skin to skin). Anyway, I just finished reading his book "The Latch" and there was a great chapter about breastfeeding and prematurity. The rest of the book was great too. I'd highly recommend it. Otherwise, he has a lot of really good information online.

You were strong and wise in your birthing choices - you showed a lot strength through your education and conviction in the path you choose. There is also another path to breastfeeding success than the path you are on now. There is a whole nother school of thought on bfing and prematurity that I encourage you to educate yourself on.

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student
#207 of 220 Old 07-30-2007, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
You're doing GREAT mama. I hope I"m not overwhelming you with this info, but you've been working so hard, I'd hate for misinformation to sabotage your breastfeeding relationship.

Check out drjacknewman.com he has a LOT of great information, is more than willing to anwser emails with questions, and is all around a great guy, from the experiences I've had with him.

TAKE CARE, and I look forward to reading more updates! :
No, you aren't overwhelming me at all. I really appreciate the help. There are so many things i've learned on MDC from generous mamas like yourself who have taken the time to help. I will definitely be looking into the SNS.
What do you think about nipple shields to help "latch"? I have flattish and biggish nipples and this really seems to be part of the problem. He does try, but his little mouth is just so...little.

4 kids under 10
#208 of 220 Old 07-30-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I've just gotten in touch with LLL who suggested I try a SNS but that I buy from a LC because I'll get a mini consultation along with it. I called the LC and signed up for a 2-hour consultation! I hope that she can come this afternoon...it might be tomorrow morning. I hope this helps. My pocket book is already hurting from all the expenses associated with this...the doula ($650), the parking at the hospital ($100), the bottles and pump (a lot), and formula to top up his feeds. I'm so grateful and fortunate for a 'free' midwife through public health insurance. At least I didn't have to pay for my birth nor hospital care (at least not directly).

4 kids under 10
#209 of 220 Old 07-30-2007, 12:57 PM

Hang in there. Kangaroo care has worked really well for some of the early babies I know, and they've had strong breastfeeding relationships further down the line.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#210 of 220 Old 07-30-2007, 01:08 PM

It does add up doesn't it? Think in terms of avoiding even more medical care down the road with a happy, healthy breastfed baby. It is less expensive than all formula and doctor visits and medications that you might encounter if not breastfeeding. The SNS is a great way to get your baby the nutrition he needs while stimulating your breasts to produce milk and teaching him to latch well.

and hang in there

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page