PROM @ 33w4d, breech presentation, currently home AMA--support please - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 220 Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sanguine--I just posted on your thread about getting a preemie from the bottle to the breast. I also posted a link to the LLL preemie info...there is some great reading there. If you need more specifics, because you are limited on websurfing time, let me know and I can dig it up. I am certain I have more time than you right now .

Here are some more LLL links...
Nipple Problems
Nipple Shield...Friend or Foe?

Nipple Pain: Causes, Treatments, and Remedies

While the information out there on nipple shields is generally negative, there may be some situations where it can save a breastfeeding relationship. Also, be sure that the LC you are seeing is IBCLC if at all possible. I had bad information from a LC that was not, and I didn't know any different. Thank goodness I found LLL...or we would be bottle feeding for certain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 220 Old 07-30-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas

Yes, I just had a 2 hour consultation with an IBCLC today and it was so useful. You always (or I always) heard that nipple shields are "bad" but she evaluated his suck and palate and said he really does need one to be able to feed at breast right now. Latch will come next. Off the bottle comes first. So, we did a great feed, and she did a pre and post weight, and he took almost 30mL from breast at his first feed! So we're off...

The only downside is it actually seems that pumping and bottling takes half the time. This feed took a good hour, and by the time I got dressed, got him changed and cleaned up he was fussing again. the LC said "oh, yup, it's been a couple of hours; might be time to feed again" : . I'm imagining this tonight. Dear heavens. I have a hard time falling asleep again after waking and always have. Sounds almost like sleepless nights altogether. It does get easier, right?

4 kids under 10
#213 of 220 Old 07-30-2007, 05:42 PM

Yes it does get easier and he will get better at nursing.

Who is helping you with your daughters and other things? Is your dp home or back at work?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#214 of 220 Old 07-30-2007, 06:03 PM

Yay! Congratulations on a good feeding!! That is great news.
FWIW, I had to use a nipple shield to feed my dd. I never could wean her off of it but I think I'm the exception to the rule in that department. We nursed for 16 months anyway and I was thrilled to have done so.
You are working so hard for this baby. I hope you have lots of help at home.
#215 of 220 Old 07-30-2007, 06:10 PM

Great news on the LC! I have generally agreed with that theory...breast first, then latch. Remember to work on correct latch even with the shield though...don't let him get sloppy. It will help your supply to make sure he is latched on correctly even with the shield, but since he's used to an artificial nipple, it won't feel as foreign to him. As for the length of time, many newborns who are not preemies need that much time for nursing, so its not just a preemie thing.

We used a shield in the beginning to get dd back to the breast. We had given her a bottle because I was so engorged and the LC I talked to said it couldn't be mastitis and it was, and I was sick, and weak...and gave her bottles for an entire weekend. Of course, she liked those better as it was easy to get milk and she didn't have to wait for a letdown. So we had to trick her with a filled up shield . She was off the shield at 2.5 months, but it took a lot of work. My sil fed her 32 weeker with a shield for 6 months and then gave up bfing altogether for reasons not associated with the shield.

Great job Mama!
#216 of 220 Old 07-30-2007, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Yes it does get easier and he will get better at nursing.

Who is helping you with your daughters and other things? Is your dp home or back at work?
Well, I was working full time (and planning to finish in a few weeks) when this babe came early, so the kids still have ft daycare (a godsend right now). DP can be home another couple of weeks. We are in a fortunate position right now given the circumstances.

4 kids under 10
#217 of 220 Old 07-30-2007, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The upshot with breastfeeding is that once the baby is a little older and you get the sidelying "hold" down, you can sleep while he nurses at night...no bottles, tubes, mixing or warming anything, you can just take the breast out and go back to sleep. Look forward to those days...they're what kept me going when my kids were itty bitty and couldn't latch on their own yet at night. But, yes, it SHOULD come easier as time goes on! Oh, Get thee a sling, if you don't already have one. It makes it seem a lot less constricting to have a baby whose nursing style is leisurely (and actually, that's a pretty normal pattern, even for a non-premie!)...too, it makes allllll the skin to skin time that you should be taking right now easier on your arms and on your other kids.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#218 of 220 Old 07-31-2007, 01:57 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your story, it is an encouragement to other mama out there! Thank you for your strength! : Congratulations!

Mama to 9 year-old girl , and a 7 year-old boy :, and my big little 6 year-old boy, and a 4 year-old boy
#219 of 220 Old 07-31-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
TOh, Get thee a sling, if you don't already have one. It makes it seem a lot less constricting to have a baby whose nursing style is leisurely (and actually, that's a pretty normal pattern, even for a non-premie!)...too, it makes allllll the skin to skin time that you should be taking right now easier on your arms and on your other kids.
They actually told us not to use any kind of baby carrier at the NICU. But, I think with some good sense, and considering he's equiv of 36 weeks now, I think it's a good idea. We do have a Maya lightly padded ring sling and a Moby wrap. Good thinking and thank you thank you thank you!

He's actually having a good break right now..i.e. sleeping for 2 hours. I spoke with the LC and she's suggested limiting his nursing sessions only in the sense that he's not actually nursing the whole time he's at breast. So, if he's there for 30+ minutes, I do recognize that he's not eating that whole time (Not because of the time, but because of his sucking motion and his not swallowing). I don't mind non-nutritive sucking, but I do when it goes on for hours and I'm exhausted and not able to lie down to nurse.

4 kids under 10
#220 of 220 Old 07-31-2007, 08:15 PM

I don't have much to offer but support! Take care and good luck with the breech. A provider who can manage a breech delivery makes the difference, and there are so few out there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page