PROM @ 33w4d, breech presentation, currently home AMA--support please - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

This will have to be short as I'm needing rest right now.

I was cottaging 7 hours from home on an island with no road access when my membranes ruptured suddenly at 33w4d. I went to the local hospital, then was airlifted to the next hospital that can take 33w4d babies...which also happened to be in my hometown. DP drove home with the kids while I flew. Since then, it's been good news....baby is doing well, BPP good, all NSTs good, I proceeded with 2 shots of steroids, got the 24 hours of abx, continuing oral abx, strep b negative.

When I first got there, they said I should be able to go home the next day after doing all of above if baby was well. Then they realized I am planning a vaginal breech delivery. Here, they "won't" do it. I am not going to go into details now about why a vag breech delivery is safe etc because I'm just exhausted, but I'm confident in my decision. I have an activist midwife who feels strongly about supporting me and is doing all she can to find out which OBs are on call where when so I can hopefully have a more supportive environment for this planned vag birth.

You might recall my previous discussion about me being concerned that the baby was breech because of the fact that no hospital in town is really very receptive to doing vag breech deliveries. Well, being 34 weeks (tomorrow), they really don't want to do a vag breech, and not only that but it's narrowed my options fro hospital choices since not all hospitals can care for preemies.

Thankfully, I have a supportive midwife, who in fact co-authored the BMJ homebirth article, and who has been an activist on the topic of vaginal breech deliveries. I've been in touch with the breech birth coalition in town.

I was totally prepared to fight the vag breech fight, and I think my midwife might have even done it at home against the college practices, but at 34 weeks we agree that we need to have some perinatologists around. I am still prepared to fight, but dear god this has complicated things for me. I don't know as much about premature babies, and so I find myself questioning and even doubting sometimes. It's going to be so hard to fight this to the end.

I do believe it is the right choice, and one I need to fight for. I have good support, and my midwife will be present (and what an advocate she is!).

It's just been so hard. They decided to keep me in the hospital when they figured out that I am planning a vag breech birth...saying if they discharged me that there would be agreater risk of my not making it back in time to get a c-section. Well, since I don't want one ...: why would I accept that as a reason? Then of course they made other false threats. They've been awful. Every day there it was a new nurse every 12 hours and a new OB resident regularly telling me what horrible things are going to happen to my baby if I have a breech birth, some of them even telling me they just don't do it.

I'm caught up in this drama right now of course, but I'm not missing the subtle sadness that is in the background...some of you may know my birth history...they've all been pretty bad. This one was going to be my first homebirth...uncomplicated, natural, beautiful in every way. It's already tarnished and I'm angry at how I've already been treated, and the birth hasn't even happened yet. But, because of my past experiences and trauma, I know that I have to stand up for myself and do what I know is right. If I give in based on fear and their pressure, I will have a whole lot more anger and trauma coming out of the experience. I also feel I need to take a stand for all women...and for birth. I so clearly see what is wrong...decisions being made without giving the people who need to make those decisions real information to do so. Some fights just need to be had.

I would appreciate even your thoughts at this time, and well wishes for the birth. I don't know when I'll come to "battle" (and I so wish I could have a non-hostile birthing environment), and when baby will come, but I really need your support right now.

I'm also worried that if anything should go wrong for any reason, it will be blamed on me because I refused a c-section. I'm sure that would be the case, even if incorrect. I need to be prepared for that possibility. Being confident in my knowledge that choosing a vaginal delivery is equally safe for baby and more safe for me helps a lot, but when it comes to our children, we are vulnerable to misinformation about anything that we might do that could harm them.

So that's all for now, and I apologize for the jumbled nature of this post. Right now everything's good with me and the baby and I'm just waiting it out. I'll be going in as an outpatient to do NSTs and while I'm there will be speaking to the OBs...which will be hard because now that I've left AMA I'm sure they'll only step up their pressure and hard line threats to try and get me back.

:

BTW, this baby is getting one crazy adventurous name.

4 kids under 10
#2 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I just wanted to give you a hug because you seem like you could use one. You have been through a whole lot right now and I hope it all goes easily and smoothly from here. I am sure whatever choices you make will be right for you and your baby.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#3 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 12:50 AM

Definetely sending hugs your way mama! It sounds like you have some awesome support in your midwife, but let us know if you need any other resources to back you up. My cousin delivered vaginally at 28 weeks... and baby is healthy and thriving at 6 months old now. I know it wasn't breech- but I thought it might give you some confidence. And most importantly mama...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

We're behind you every step of the way.
#4 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 12:51 AM

Just a quick question from me: are you still leaking fluid? I experienced the same thing as you only much, much earlier and, b/c I never retained any fluid, I was told it was not wise to go past 34 weeks (at which point the threat of cord problems outweigh the risk of prematurity). I was able to confirm that online. Just curious if you had discussed anything like that with your midwife at all.

s

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#5 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 12:56 AM

So sorry! But at least you have that great midwife behind you! I hope you are able to find an OB who supports your decision. I think you can do it mom. You're in my thoughts, good luck!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#6 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 12:58 AM

Are you in labor? There are cases of membranes re-sealing and fluid collecting again and labor not happening until close to date.

I will think strong re-sealing and baby staying in longer thoughts for you.

-Angela
#7 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 01:01 AM

I had a feet-first breech at 34w2d. He was a second twin, his brother was vertex. It was fine -- although they did need the NICU for about a week, because they couldn't quite suck yet.

YOU CAN BIRTH THIS BABY!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#8 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

Are you in labor? There are cases of membranes re-sealing and fluid collecting again and labor not happening until close to date.

-Angela
I'll be here with Angela- what a wonderful outcome that would be. and blessings

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#9 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
Thanks mama, but definitely not resealing yet...as of yesterday was at 25mL of fluid, and still leaking as replenishing.

4 kids under 10
#10 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
I had a feet-first breech at 34w2d. He was a second twin, his brother was vertex. It was fine -- although they did need the NICU for about a week, because they couldn't quite suck yet.

YOU CAN BIRTH THIS BABY!

Thanks mama.

4 kids under 10
#11 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 01:09 AM

i'll be thinking of you...good for you for standing your ground and knowing your stuff. there is still a good chance babe could turn or the leak could seal...

#12 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post
Just a quick question from me: are you still leaking fluid? I experienced the same thing as you only much, much earlier and, b/c I never retained any fluid, I was told it was not wise to go past 34 weeks (at which point the threat of cord problems outweigh the risk of prematurity). I was able to confirm that online. Just curious if you had discussed anything like that with your midwife at all.

s
Things are all looking well so far in terms of fluid levels...though of course we'd all prefer there be an intact sac. There is not much risk of cord prolapse because the baby is in a frank breech position (which I'm so grateful for).

4 kids under 10
#13 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 01:19 AM

I agree with you that vaginal breech births are just as safe for the baby as C-sections. I was just reading last night about the topic on EMedicine, and that's what they said there. I think your main concern right now is with the prematurity issue.

I support whatever you choose, and hoping for a healthy baby and a healthy you.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#14 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride View Post
I agree with you that vaginal breech births are just as safe for the baby as C-sections. I was just reading last night about the topic on EMedicine, and that's what they said there. I think your main concern right now is with the prematurity issue.
I agree. I wish it wasn't being MADE into the breech being the bigger problem. I should be able to focus on my potentially preemie newborn, and worry about that, not about the birth environment where I can't trust the staff and dealing with their threats at such a vulnerable time : .

4 kids under 10
#15 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 AM

Bummer.

Wishing you the strength you need and a safe birth whenever it happens.

-Angela
#16 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 01:51 AM

Stay healthy, mamma and baby! You can have the birth you want, even in a hospital, despite the complications! It sounds like you have great advocate in your midwife-- can she talk some sense into the MDs re: safety of vag breech?

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#17 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 03:51 AM

Thinking of you mama.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#18 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 07:14 AM

Just lending a vote of support for your informed decision on what you think is best for you and your baby. I'm sorry this is happening and causing you so much stress! Sending re-sealing thoughts and happy birthing vibes to you as well!
#19 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 07:43 AM

I'm sorry to hear that the hospital staff is giving you such a hard time. I hope you run into someone supportive there.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#20 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 AM

Im thinking of you.
I hope you can keep that baby cooking a little longer so it wont be much of an issue.

My son was born at 35 weeks. I did have the steroids for his lungs but he was just fine. He went to the NICU for observation but didnt need any help whatsoever. I am sorry you have to deal with all this drama. Its really a shame.
big hugs, I know you will get through this.
#21 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you mamas; your support means so much. I don't have a lot of friends or family IRL who understand; I get the impression that while they want to be supportive they mostly think medical professionals do always know best and should always be listened to.

4 kids under 10
#22 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 10:25 AM

sanguine, sending you a huge !! Sorry you're going through all this pressure to have intervention...I'm sure your heart will give you the right path for you and your baby! Keeping you both in my thoughts
#23 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 AM

So sorry you've already endured such trauma... but you are strong! You can do it!
Lots of prayers & thoughts going out to you & your little one.
#24 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Hey it's you!

I'm glad you're home, at least that gets you away from the every-12-hours-explaining AGAIN thing. Thinking of you... call any time, I have my cell back from DH now.

BTW how are you measuring your water leakage? I didn't know that was possible... also praying for a re-seal...

Do you have to be 37w before you can get to the Mft instead? I have the impression from BA that they're more open minded there...

xo Robin
#25 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 AM

Follow your heart and gut.

FWIW, Abby (my "step" daughter) was born at 34 weeks and was only 3 lbs (tiny genetics via bio-mom and single artery umbilical cord.)

BUT . . . she only had to work on feeding, she breathed on her own completely, kept her temp regulated, and did just fine.

And I know that your little one is big (about 5lbs right?) like mine, so he or she will likely do just fine longterm.

Prematurity is super scary, but 34 weeks is awesome compared to the challenges faced by the micro-ones (20-25 weeks!)

Hugs, love, and PEACE to you and the tiny one inside. Trust yourself, you are his/her best protector.
#26 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I get the impression that while they want to be supportive they mostly think medical professionals do always know best and should always be listened to.
Gd forbid that professional should be your exceptionally knowledgeable and experienced midwife. : I'm so, so glad you have her.
#27 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 11:03 AM

Sending you strength mama! You can do this!

reseal reseal reseal!!
#28 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 11:18 AM

You have my support along with everyone else. I also wish they would just focus on the preemie aspect and leave you alone about the breech.
I'm also curious as to whether your m/w could advocate with the hospital in some way about the safety of v. breech birth. Couldn't you just sign waivers accepting the responsibility of any potential risks or consequences of your decision? (I'm not agreeing with them that it's dangerous at all; just trying to think on their level.)
I'm sorry you're dealing with this and hope that it turns out much better than you expect.
#29 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wow, you sound like you are dealing with SO MUCH! First off, I'm so sorry you lost your easy breezy homebirth! Best laid plans, right?!?

Anyways, good for you to stand up for yourself, stay true to that, and know that you are making the best decision for yourself and baby. It's so hoorible the things doctors tell you to get you to do what *they* want you do do. It seems they are not used to not getting their way these days.

Weren't you saying a while back that baby was measuring big? That can only help you in this situation. Hopefully he or she will hold on a bit longer until it's time for him/her to come out, then do so peacefully, possibly still at home.

Are you dosing up on vitamin C? I might even prefer that over abx if it were me.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#30 of 220 Old 07-19-2007, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinna View Post
Hey it's you!

I'm glad you're home, at least that gets you away from the every-12-hours-explaining AGAIN thing. Thinking of you... call any time, I have my cell back from DH now.

BTW how are you measuring your water leakage? I didn't know that was possible... also praying for a re-seal...

Do you have to be 37w before you can get to the Mft instead? I have the impression from BA that they're more open minded there...

xo Robin

Hi Robin...thanks and glad to see you here!
They measured my fluid at an u/s the other day. I'm still leaking quite a bit so no seal yet I don't think. Going in for an NST today and potentially BPP. The Mft would be at 36 weeks. Only 2 weeks, right? But, I'm having a lot of labour prep stuff going on...I don't think i'll make 36 weeks. The good news is that there is some discussion going on in the birthing community and I may end up with a more sympathetic OB in attendance.

4 kids under 10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page