Mothering Forum banner

One baby post dates all babies post dates?

819 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Jster 
#1 ·
Everyone has an obsession recently with telling me because DD was born at 41 weeks this baby will go late too. Is there any logic to this? My sister and I were both 43 weeks. I don't remember what my brothers were (I was the last child). I know babies come when they want but it would just be nice if people would leave me alone about this whole post dates issue. Especially since I haven't missed my due date yet.
:

See less See more
#2 ·
41 weeks really isn't post dates. After 42 weeks is considered more post dates. But unless a baby has true post date signs at birth (no lanugo, long nails, abundant hair on head, calcified fetal skull, wrinkled skin, etc)... the baby isn't really post dates. Most babies "cook" to 41 weeks!. Also not having a correct "due date" plays into how long a baby seemingly gestates.

As a student doula who works with midwives.... we don't expect first babies till 8 to 10 days AFTER the due date. So it's perfectly normal to go 41 weeks!

Baby will come when s/he is ready. But generally, if you've had a baby at 41 weeks in your pregnancy.... you can expect another one around that same time....give or take a few days. Just focus on your baby and take care of yourself. I know it's hard when people are expecting a baby.... With my last baby, I added 10 days to the "due date" so everyone would leave me alone.... It worked! DD came 8 days after the "due date".
If you are seeing a dr.... could you tell them the due date might be changed? (Even though dating by U/S is VERY off at this stage in pregnancy....)

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMcC View Post
41 weeks really isn't post dates. After 42 weeks is considered more post dates. But unless a baby has true post date signs at birth (no lanugo, long nails, abundant hair on head, calcified fetal skull, wrinkled skin, etc)... the baby isn't really post dates. Most babies "cook" to 41 weeks!. Also not having a correct "due date" plays into how long a baby seemingly gestates.

As a student doula who works with midwives.... we don't expect first babies till 8 to 10 days AFTER the due date. So it's perfectly normal to go 41 weeks!

Baby will come when s/he is ready. But generally, if you've had a baby at 41 weeks in your pregnancy.... you can expect another one around that same time....give or take a few days. Just focus on your baby and take care of yourself. I know it's hard when people are expecting a baby.... With my last baby, I added 10 days to the "due date" so everyone would leave me alone.... It worked! DD came 8 days after the "due date".
If you are seeing a dr.... could you tell them the due date might be changed? (Even though dating by U/S is VERY off at this stage in pregnancy....)
Thanks for the links. My midwife has no problems letting me go as long as I need to. It is everyone else that has an opinion. I had to hear it from my 80 yo grandmother this weekend that just happened to know some woman 60 years ago that had a still birth when she was over 42 weeks
:
. You know how the advice givers come out of the wood work.

#7 ·
Hair on the head is NOT necessarily a sign of postmaturity. Some babies can be born at 43.5 weeks with calcified skulls and strong mouldings, no lanugo, wrinkled skin and long nails. Some babies are just bald because that's how they're meant to be and it's a genetic, not post-maturity issue.
That said, I went 43.5 weeks, 38 weeks, 42 weeks. So yes, it's possible that this baby will come sooner.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Hair on the head is NOT necessarily a sign of postmaturity.
That's very true. My oldest was born at 37 weeks, and had a full head of hair, second born at 39 weeks, had a superfull head of hair.

#11 ·
ALL my babies have been past the EDD. I have long cycles though. If you added 9 months to the estimated date of conception, you'd see mine weren't late at all. Stupid EDD's!! I know my last DD was conceived on March 25th-30th (sperm can live about 5 days), and add 9 months, you get Dec. 25th-30th. She was born on the 28th.

#13 ·
First was 41 weeks, second was 42 weeks...I'm just hoping this baby comes before 43 weeks!

I think when people say its more likely, they mean that some women tend to have gestations all around the same general time. So some have all their babies at 38 weeks, and others have them all at 42...it just varies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.