Let's say your baby was born in the car... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
ASC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Besides a lot of towels, what supplies would you want to have on hand?
#2 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC View Post
Besides a lot of towels, what supplies would you want to have on hand?
As a UCer with *extremely* precipitous labors, the last three pregnancies I've packed a travel birth bag. In it I'd pack...
  • a few chux pads,
  • one old towel and several washcloths,
  • a metal bowl to catch the placenta,
  • cord clamp and small, sharp scissors,
  • two newborn prefolds & one cover,
  • one gender neutral and one girlie newborn outfit (hope springs eternal),
  • a baby blanket,
  • clean underpants and pads, and
  • a comfy stretchy knit yoga type outfit for me
It all fits easily in a small duffel bag. My home bag has more goodies like electronic fish scales & measuring tape, a disposable camera and such.

If at all practical I recommend against car births. I never noticed amniotic fluid had a scent until one friend could *not* get it out of her SUV's carpet pad, insulation, ventilation system... I don't know where that smell was coming from but it never did go away.

~BV
#3 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 09:31 PM

I've attended one car birth as a doula and I recommend having chux pads on hand. The birth did make quite a mess of the car and it is only because the dad later dumped a few gallons of hydrogen peroxide on the carpet afterwards (and blotted) that the car came clean again. They actually had it cleaned by the people who do crime scene cleaning. Everything came out except for one spot on the ceiling

Something to wipe the baby's face would be nice -- wipe away any mucus/meconium that is there. Also a blanket or hat if it is cold outside.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#4 of 15 Old 08-04-2007, 01:36 PM

In my labor, we had a five-hour drive to get to the Farm. We had lots of time to spare, as it turned out, but to keep the seats clean we covered them with garbage bags, then put towels on top. I never tested the system , but it seemed pretty water-tight. I also had blankets and a big body pillow in there to keep me comfortable. Of course, since we were heading to his birthplace, we had everything we could possibly need in the trunk, so if he had come really fast we could have gotten to it.

hapersmion
#5 of 15 Old 08-05-2007, 11:00 PM

Hi! I gave birth to baby #3 and (a couple years later) baby #4 in the front seat of the minivan. We only had tons of extra towels on the seat. I was fine with just the towels. But I didn't clean the minivan so I don't really know if we needed more towels.
#6 of 15 Old 08-06-2007, 12:08 AM

A carseat.:

(Yes, I really would do my best to wrap my newborn in a blanket or something & then put her in a carseat ASAP.)

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#7 of 15 Old 08-06-2007, 12:26 AM

No way would I put a baby in the carseat in the backseat of the car minutes after birth. Not only could the baby suffer from severe cold stress, but you would have to cut the cord (difficult and possibly harmful in that situation) and it would be hard to monitor the baby's breathing/color from that distance and with the baby rear-facing. Not to mention that it would be really distressing for the baby. Also mom is much more likely to bleed if separated from her baby immediately and I would worry about her too. She is likely to do better if allowed to hold her baby skin-to-skin.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#8 of 15 Old 08-06-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
A carseat.:

(Yes, I really would do my best to wrap my newborn in a blanket or something & then put her in a carseat ASAP.)
If you were still planning on going to the hospital, calling an ambulance might be your best bet. I am guessing they would put you on the stretcher and your baby on top of you?

love.gif

#9 of 15 Old 08-06-2007, 01:59 PM

For baby #3, dh just continued to drive to the hospital. For baby #4, dh pulled over and call 911. The ambulance drove myself and the baby apx. 1 mile to the hospital.
I mention to the medics that we had done this before and that I would like to have dh finish driving us in to the hospital. Um...no one believed me nor did they find it funny. They kept treating the whole situation like it was some kind of an emergency
#10 of 15 Old 08-06-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyx3 View Post
For baby #3, dh just continued to drive to the hospital. For baby #4, dh pulled over and call 911. The ambulance drove myself and the baby apx. 1 mile to the hospital.
I mention to the medics that we had done this before and that I would like to have dh finish driving us in to the hospital. Um...no one believed me nor did they find it funny. They kept treating the whole situation like it was some kind of an emergency
When I saw your first reply on this thread, I thought, "it happened TWICE?!" Having baby #1 only 20 minutes after arriving at hospital was enough to get me to the hospital early for baby #2!

--amy
DS1 is 5, DD is 3, DS2 is 2.
#11 of 15 Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 PM

Towels sounds good. Nothing else is really necessary. Mama? Check. Baby? Check. Breasts? Check. Sounds good to me. Heck, you even have the placenta, or likely soon will, if bleeding becomes a problem. All else may not be a luxury, but neither is it usually necessary.
#12 of 15 Old 08-07-2007, 09:48 AM

I have thought about this, I am hoping to travel three hours for my next birth, in order to have an OOH VBAC (no one will do them where I live). I have had a few dreams where I was giving birth to my second child on a patch of grass on the side of the road. Not pregnant yet though.
I plan to pack a tupperware container with chux pads, cord clamps, sterile scissors (for cutting the cord), and a copy of the book Emergency Childbirth. DH is a cop, and was trained oh, about 15 years ago in how to deal with such a situation. One of his coworkers even ended up catching a baby on the side of the road. However, I think the idea of it totally freaks him out.
I don't intend to call an ambulance unless the baby or myself was in trouble, I would just keep driving to meet my midwife. Interesting thoughts about the carseat though...... I hadn't figured that one out, I guess just keep driving while holding the baby.
#13 of 15 Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 PM

Newborns have a hard time regulating their own temps so all the above advice on keeping the baby up against your bare chest I agree with. I would think that dp would be driving more cautiously with a newborn in the car and would not likely get into a wreck. The chances of the baby having warming troubles seem higher than getting into an accident.
Angela
#14 of 15 Old 08-08-2007, 02:11 AM

my dd#2 was born in the car. Front seat of an Audi 4000S.

we had a bunch of towels (because i was afraid it would happen) and they were stored in a rubbermaid tub (which was perfect for catching placenta.)

I wished I had considered the possibility a bit better, I would have protected the seats (you do not want to go to the car wash 3 days postpartum to clean it up- ick)

I didn't put baby into carseat, I just held her for the 15 minute drive to the hospital. I don't know what I would do if I had to do it over again.

We've had each child at home since then, car birth isn't much fun.
#15 of 15 Old 08-08-2007, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
summer or winter? I would want window shades in the summer here and the doors closed and heater on in the winter as well as a couple of warm blankest to trow over me and baby afterwards--- you could use a tarp or garbage bags-- with the towels I like chux underpads because they catch fluids and most don't run off them-- placenta can be caught in a chux and that way you don't need to figure out how to carry a bowl around-- I probably wouldn't even plan on cutting or tying off the cord until I got home-- some paper towels and maybe a package or 2 of gloves for anyone else who might be helping me out -like I wouldn't want someone to pick up the bloody chux and get it on them-- and I would keep the supplies all in a big black garbage bag in a box- then use the bag for the chux--- I would also want a baby car seat in the trunk that would be easy to install afterwards so I wouldn't have to risk driving around with the baby and no seat--- I would want some water and a few snacks-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page