Arnica after birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning to take arnica immediately after labor - would I take the recommended dosage for adults? Or is it somehow different in that situation. The arnica I have is 30x. Thanks!
#2 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryerin View Post
I am planning to take arnica immediately after labor - would I take the recommended dosage for adults? Or is it somehow different in that situation. The arnica I have is 30x. Thanks!
I depends on the intensity of the symptoms. I've had births where I didn't need any Arnica... the baby came so quickly and easily that there was no swelling or soreness to treat. That being said many stores that only carry homeopathics in potencies up to 30X and 30C will carry Arnica 200C (sometimes denoted 200CH or 200 CK) and I'd recommend having it on hand. It's more likely to match the force of your symptoms after birth.

~BV
#3 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 10:07 AM

I took arnica 200C (or 1M?) directly after birthing and it worked for afterpains too.
#4 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 12:45 PM

You may want to get some arnica gel for you AND DH. During labor sometimes we get into positions our body isn't used to. DH held me up through several contractions and did LOTS of counterpressure on my hips (posterior baby) so we were both a bit sore the next day.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#5 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan'sMom View Post
I took arnica 200C (or 1M?) directly after birthing and it worked for afterpains too.
Oooh... I didn't know it helped with afterpains!

You also might want to think about having some arnica gel on hand for any major vaginal bruising and for bruising on your newborn. My son came out with some major bruising from being hung up on my tailbone and the topical arnica really seemed to help diminish the bruises and the swelling and pain for him.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#6 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 04:14 PM

I bought arnica gel and applied it on the external area of the Birth canal and it STUNG!!! Like its bengay or something. OUCH!!! Is that normal? Or is there another kind of arnica gel ya'll are talking about?
#7 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
I bought arnica gel and applied it on the external area of the Birth canal and it STUNG!!! Like its bengay or something. OUCH!!! Is that normal? Or is there another kind of arnica gel ya'll are talking about?
Oh, no! Potentized (homeopathic) Arnica is fine taken internally or mixed with water or lotion base and applied externally. Herbal Arnica should *never* be applied on broken skin. As experience taught you it's very irritating.

~BV
#8 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 07:43 PM

I had not thought of adding the homeopathic arnica to my birth kit. I already have some of Weleda's arnica massage oil (olive oil base) on hand for rubbing on my back, legs and pelvis or DH's arms if he needs to do a lot of counter pressure.

I did not know this would be bad for my vulva, we have used it prebirth in that area before with no problems. Thanks for the heads up!

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#9 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thanks for all the great info! I will have to have DH take some as well! I will look into gel or oil forms too. Thanks again!
#10 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My labor was fast, and I had a bit of tearing. I took some regular ol' arnica 30c a few hours after birth, and throughout the following days. I felt amazing. Love the stuff!
#11 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryonyvaughn View Post
Oh, no! Potentized (homeopathic) Arnica is fine taken internally or mixed with water or lotion base and applied externally. Herbal Arnica should *never* be applied on broken skin. As experience taught you it's very irritating.

~BV
Thanks
Its good that I know that now!
#12 of 14 Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 PM

I took 1m and will do that again. i also have the oil for labor
#13 of 14 Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 PM

I took 200C right after my last birth, and it really helped with bleeding. When I birthed the placenta, it was all clean, no blood or anything came out with it. My PP bleeding was less, and my afterpains were better than the previous two births.

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

#14 of 14 Old 08-13-2007, 04:37 AM

I had a 40 hr. back labor and a major second degree tear (including a popped blood vessel in my labia) and had very little swelling and soreness. I attribute it to the 200c arnica I took immediately following the birth and the 30c (or 30 x--can't recall) arnica I took over the next few days. It is amazing stuff.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page