What did you wear during labor? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 75 Old 08-24-2007, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Planned water birth, ended up w/ a c/s. 2 hospital gowns (one worn backwards like a robe--those things suck! I felt so exposed!). They wouldn't let me wear anything else, grr.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#62 of 75 Old 08-25-2007, 05:23 AM

I labored for the most part in a Blue Canoe Jane bra (so comfy ) When I went outside with my midwife of course I had to put on clothes but as soon as I came back in sooner than later I was back in my Jane bra. (I spent a lot of time in the kiddy pool we filled with hot water)

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#63 of 75 Old 08-25-2007, 11:24 AM

By the time I got to the birthing center, I was almost 9cm dilated. I stripped naked, got in the tub, and stayed naked 'till DO was born...
#64 of 75 Old 08-25-2007, 12:18 PM

I wore the same t-shirt for all 3 homebirths, but you better believe I would wear the same shirt if I had to go to the hospital--it's like my lucky charm!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#65 of 75 Old 08-25-2007, 05:41 PM

I was all afraid about being naked when I first got to the hospital. I put the gown on but as I was walking I kept holding it closed and so on. The first time I got in the tub I didn't even let my doula come in. Well after stalling in trasition for 4 hours because DS was posterior, modesty pretty much flew out the window! I took another bath with both doulas present. When I got back out of the tub I put the gown back on but it didn't last long! I thought the room was so stinking hot that I think I threw the gown across the room in my 2 1/2 hours of pushing! I also made them turn the heat in the room all the way off.

After labor I didn't get dressed again for about an hour. It worked out pretty well that DH was able to put DS right on me for skin to skin contact after he was born. However, because I had them turn off all the heat the room got fairly cool and it was hard for DS to get his body temperature up. So after about an hour they made me put him under heat lamps (they said it was that or they were going to take him to the NICU! How ridiulous! They kept threatening they were going to put him there because he was too cold! Over my dead body!). Well anyway that did give my DH some time to spend with him while I went and got cleaned up a bit and into a fresh nursing gown. A few hours later I took a shower though and they said I could just change into my own clothes- sweats and a tank top.

Next time around I will be at home though, so I will wear whatever the hack I darn well please!
#66 of 75 Old 08-25-2007, 06:07 PM

with DD we were at a freestanding birth center. we were the only ones birthing there at the time, and my clothes were shed quite quickly and i labored and birthed completely naked. clothing was really not making me happy at all, so once i got into the whirlpool and back out again, the clothes did not go back on. prior to that i was only wearing a t-shirt. i'm glad there wasn't anyone else there!

with DS, he was born at home. my bottoms came off very quickly, i did have a tank top on for a little while, until i got into the shower. once again, there was no way i was going to put clothes back on once they were off especially in my own house. so i birthed nekked that time too.

i'm assuming it will be the same with #3, since we plan to be at home. we are very open about nudity in our family, so i'm not worried about my other kids being shocked by my lack of clothes or anything like that

my advice is to do what makes you comfortable - whatever that is. remember, too, that birth is a messy business, so don't wear some sparkling white brand new night gown that you really don't want to get messed up!
#67 of 75 Old 08-25-2007, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nothing. When I woke up I was almost in transition and the nightgown went flying off as I went downstairs to the family room where the birth tub was set up. I didn't want anything touching me. I put a nightgown on again when DD was a few hours old.

DS was born in a hospital and I just wore a maternity tanktop. For the first couple hours I tied the gown around my waist but once I hit transition it came off.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#68 of 75 Old 08-26-2007, 12:06 AM

I honestly thought I would be much more modest than I was. I even bought a special nightgown to wear during labor. I really hated having anything on though, but I spent a few hours walking the halls, so I figured I should have something on then.

When I got in the tub, I hit transition immediately, and never looked back. I got naked to get into the tub, and after two contractions, I was so out of my mind that I got back out and got into bed. The midwife put a hospital gown on me, but after a contraction or two, I felt like it was strangling me, so I turned to my doula and asked if I could take it off. She was so great, and said, "Heck Ya!" and we sent it sailing across the room. I just couldn't stand anything or anyone touching me. I couldn't even keep my eyes open between contractions. I didn't get dressed for an entire day after pretty much except for those ever so glamorous mesh panties.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#69 of 75 Old 08-26-2007, 12:52 AM

my husband just got a shirt with johnny cash on it giving the bird : ...i'm seriously considering that. i want to be left alone during labor.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#70 of 75 Old 08-26-2007, 03:06 AM

I got to the hospital at about 8cm and the first thing I did was rip my t-shirt off(I had nothing but that and a housecoat on) and labor naked for the duration of my labor. No one said anything. I felt very comfortable around my doc and nurse and doula(and DH) and I really didn't think twice about it. The next will be born at home so I'm pretty sure I'll go naked again

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#71 of 75 Old 08-26-2007, 10:17 AM

First labor, with 4 people attending (mw, doula, sister, dh)--long t-shirt.
Second labor, with dh and dd1 in and out from time to time but no one else--naked. I felt free to be naked with no strangers watching and I was very comfortable. With the first birth it helped me maintain a little bit of distance (although not enough!).
#72 of 75 Old 08-26-2007, 11:01 AM

With my first, I wore the darned gown.
With the second I refused and insisted on just my Dh's old ripped sweat shirt. The ldr nurse threw a hissy I refused and there was really nothing she could do. After the fuss I only wore it for a couple of minutes anyway and then jumped in the tub I didn't realize I would want in the water so soon.

This babe will be born at home

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#73 of 75 Old 08-26-2007, 12:22 PM

four toe rings and a hair tie.

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **
#74 of 75 Old 08-26-2007, 12:24 PM

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#75 of 75 Old 08-26-2007, 12:58 PM

I wore my most comfy, favorite Beastie Boys tee-shirt for both births (hospital). By the time I was ready to push, I was pretty hot and stripped down naked. Nobody ever mentioned a gown or anything.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page