What did you wear during labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to compare the answers I get here vs on another forum which tends to have a bit more mainstream mother. Just for the sake of fun curiosity.
_____

When you gave birth, what were you wearing? I'm especially interested in those of you who WEREN'T at home - obviously no icky hospital gowns would be forced on you if you were at home. (Although I suppose I'd be interested in that too, did you choose to labor with or without clothes?) If you were in a hospital or a birth center, was what you were wearing your own choice or hospital policy?

This only occurred to me because I was reading that other thread's birth story about the lady who was giving birth naked, and a nurse came in and told her to put a gown on. I got mad just thinking about it, and then I thought back and realized I was totally naked for the whole thing -- well... once we got to the birth center anyway. I was already in hard labor by then, not really thinking about modesty, and got in the tub without anything on, then of course didn't put anything on when I got out of the tub for pushing. I don't even remember when I finally put clothes on, although I know it must have been before we got transferred to the L&D wing afterwards.

If someone had made me wear a hospital gown, oh how those things annoy me, I'm sure I would have ripped it to shreds.
#2 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 08:41 PM

I just saw some pics of a woman giving birth naked...in a hospital. If a staff member says you need to put some clothes on while you're in labor, the appropriate response is "Screw you." Lol. How stupid. They're MEDICAL people. Did they not take at least two semesters of anatomy and physiology? And do they not get that everything is basically hanging out anyway?
#3 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 08:44 PM

I gave birth in a freestanding birth center. I wore a t-shirt until I got into the tub, at which point I labored in the nude. I didn't put clothes back on until several hours after the birth. It made for great skin-to-skin time with my baby!
#4 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 PM

i birthed at a free standing birth center. i showed up in boxers, a t-shirt, and flip flops, but was naked a few hours later until it was time to go home.
#5 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
I just saw some pics of a woman giving birth naked...in a hospital. If a staff member says you need to put some clothes on while you're in labor, the appropriate response is "Screw you." Lol. How stupid. They're MEDICAL people. Did they not take at least two semesters of anatomy and physiology? And do they not get that everything is basically hanging out anyway?
ITA. At the birth center they were great and never said a word, but when we were in L&D and I was trying to breastfeed (not covered up) all the nurses would come in and squeak and hide their eyes. Was that to prevent their modesty or mine? I certainly didn't have a problem and figured they wouldn't either, considering that's the department they worked in. I can only imagine some of them might make a laboring woman a little self-conscious though if they tried to cover her up to "protect her modesty" while giving birth. As if that's a time to be modest? Or was I being rude by trying to nurse without covering up? Who knows...
#6 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 PM

I gave birth in a hospital and wore a t-shirt for most of my labor. When I got in the tub, I was nude of course. I guess I put the t-shirt back on during my 2 hours of pushing. After the birth I changed into a hospital gown cause my tshirt had baby gook on it (I say that in the most affectionate way) and left that on for the day because of the normal discharge. It was just easier than taking pants on and off.

This time I'm doing it at home, so I guess I won't get a hospital gown to trash .
#7 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 09:05 PM

I wore my birthday suit from the time I got there until I was just about to be sent to my room. I was in the birthing suite from 4:30pm or so until sometime after 10pm. DS was born at 7:17pm and spent most of the next few hours right against my skin, though I generously let DH hold him.

A nurse asked if I'd like to get into a gown, or if I just wanted warmed blankets for the trip down the hall. I said, "eh, gown".

It didn't last long. I kept undoing the shoulders to nurse and just leaving them down, then trying to extricate myself from the gown when I wanted to pee . . . oy.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#8 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 09:11 PM

First child I wore a nightshirt, bra, and underwear. This baby I plan on having a home water birth. I do plan on wearing a tank top of sorts in the water though.
#9 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 09:32 PM

2 hospital births:

1) c-sec: they asked my preference which was naked except my bra (my boobs were so heavy and it felt better to me to have it on).

2) VBAC (diff hosp): gown but no underwear. I think most hosp gowns open up in the back? but this one had easy access to the boobs for nursing so I liked it. I just hiked it up as I felt like it
#10 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 09:34 PM

I had a hospital birth. Wore the hospital gown.

I had wanted to labor in the tub, and figured I wouldn't be wearing anything for that, but DD came too fast and I never got a chance.
#11 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 PM

Hospital birth, I came in with sweat pants and a t-shirt, but my bag of waters had broken and with water constantly leaking, I just wore a t-shirt.
#12 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 10:36 PM

both homebirths and for both I wore my pajamas until pushing time, then I was neked!!
#13 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 10:42 PM

I was at home.

For some of labor I was in a tank top then with a robe on top. Once the contractions picked up, I was too hot to wear anything and it stayed that way until after the baby was born. I think it's pretty normal for mom to be naked, especially by the end.
#14 of 75 Old 08-21-2007, 11:41 PM

For my first 'birth' (ended in c section)
While I was being induced, I wore a hospital gown. I had to FIGHT with the nurse to let me keep my bra on. Seriously she tried to fight with me over it. Saying if I wanted it off later it would have to be cut off blah blah blah. I told her I was keeping it on and I was fine if it needed to be cut off.

It was a silly stupid thing. I was trying to grasp at any little thing I could to gain my power back.
And later when the scissors sliced through it, every shred of dignity and humanity I had left went with it.

This time, at home I plan to wear nothing on bottom and a white tank top thats already all stained up so I dont really care if it gets nastier.
#15 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 12:52 AM

I was in labor for a loooong time, so i went through various stages of dressed/ undressed. I was naked for a while but mostly i just had a nightie i brought from home. And purple argyle socks

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#16 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetaera View Post
For my first 'birth' (ended in c section)
While I was being induced, I wore a hospital gown. I had to FIGHT with the nurse to let me keep my bra on. Seriously she tried to fight with me over it. Saying if I wanted it off later it would have to be cut off blah blah blah. I told her I was keeping it on and I was fine if it needed to be cut off.

It was a silly stupid thing. I was trying to grasp at any little thing I could to gain my power back.
And later when the scissors sliced through it, every shred of dignity and humanity I had left went with it.

This time, at home I plan to wear nothing on bottom and a white tank top thats already all stained up so I dont really care if it gets nastier.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#17 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 AM

My birthday suit!! In the hospital and Birth center.
Angela

I thought I would add that I did have clothes on while in public!!
#18 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 AM

Hospital the first time: ginormous pj's that fit over my 34w twin pregnant belly. At some point I ended up in a hospital gown, maybe I puked on my pjs or something? I don't remember.

Birth center: I was so set on wearing my own clothes the entire time, and the nurse was complimenting me on my comfy-looking tshirt... just as I puked all over it. So I wore a hospital gown.

When I have clients who want to wear their own clothes, I recommend bringing SEVERAL changes, just in case. There's just so much fluid involved in birth, and hospital icky-ness.

This time I have a maternity bikini top that I *might* wear -- just so I don't have to deal with photoshop-ing pics later -- or I might be naked.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#19 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 02:02 AM

i was naked. i checked into the hosp-based birthing ctr, they tried to put a gown on me, i said no, i lay on the bed for a sec in just a sports bra, and then decided to get into the jacuzzi. there was no way i was putting clothes back on. i had in my birth plan that i was going to labor in nothing or just a sports bra. DH had me take off the sports bra because he was afraid it would get wet!
#20 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 09:49 AM

Hospital birth, hospital gown. Didn't want to be naked but really just didn't care what was on me. I know some women are very sensitive to tactile things during birth, but for me probably I could be wearing a clown suit and just not care.
#21 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 09:57 AM

I was naked (well, I labored some in my own gown I'd gotten for the occasion, but I lose clothes pretty early in labor), and nobody said a word. If some nurse told me to put on a gown during birth I'd tell her to shove it up her...um, well, you know.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#22 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 11:45 AM

I wore a skirt and tank top to the hospital...Iactually have the same cloths on now!! As soon as I got to my room all my clothes came off and I got in the tub. They did do an NST first.
#23 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 01:19 PM

I've never worn a hospital gown.

For both hospital births, I arrived in a big baggy tee shirt and sweatpants. I just shed the pants and kept the shirt on. For the second birth, the shirt I wore said "I do all my own stunts" on it.

Once I cleaned up post-partum I wore some sort of comfortable cotton nightshirt/gown. They had henley-style necklines with buttons that I just left ondone for easy breast access.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#24 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM

Hospital birth and I was nekkid. Gowns just strike me as ridiculous, but I also didn't have any parents (besides DH and I ) in the room. It might have been different, had my dad been in there. But it would have to be the Apocalypse before I would let my dad in a room I was giving birth in.

Also? I pooped during labor, for heaven's sake, and had no control over it. I certainly didn't want any clothes on for that circumstance.
#25 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 01:38 PM

NOTHING! I was as naked as a bumblebee!

With my ds (hospital birth)... I'm sure at some point I was in a hospital gown but I don't honestly remember. I just remember the flow of the birth, and the experience.
#26 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 PM

#1 hospital birth, hospital gown
#2 bathing suit top, lightweight robe out of tub, home birth
#3 same
#4 sports bra, stretchy fabric nursing gown out of tub, home birth

You can see the gown (I loved it) in my birth pics:

http://www.birthnaturally.org/LeahBirth.mpg

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#27 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 PM

hospital birth that ended in a csection

until things went bad i was in an XXL mens button up dress shirt that i bought at a thrift store for $2
i think i was in that thing most of the last part of my pregnancy!

it was very soft cotton and super comfortable

no one said anything at all about what i was wearing
#28 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Early labor while walking outside - DH's t-shirt and a long skirt. At the hospital I wore their gown during the trioge stuff and walking to the room, then promptly striped it off and threw it on the floor. When people besides my nurse who acted like a doula came in I put a sheet over me usually.
#29 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 01:53 PM

I was in a birth center in a hospital. I wore my own clothes til I took a shower ( for a long time) It felt really good.

Then I put on a hosp gown til my water broke. I think I was in my birthday suit the rest of the time.

This one who knows what I will wear til the time comes.,

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#30 of 75 Old 08-22-2007, 02:08 PM

With my DS's heavily medicalized birth at a military hospital, they put me in a gown before starting the induction, then after the birth I wore two gowns (to cover my butt).

With my recent birth at a German hospital, I showed up and labored in my comfy sweatpants, sports bra, and t-shirt. Until I stripped before jumping in the tub. When I got out of the tub the midwives put a gown on me briefly just to dry me off (so it was more like a towel, hehe) then it came off again and I birthed naked as a jaybird. Stayed that way till it was about time to go home, when I put my clothes back on (water never broke so my pants were good).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page