does placement of placenta effect birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not in cases of a "problem" like the placent covering the cervix of course...

but in general -- front vs back placentas... or high vs low...

do they effect the baby's poistion in birth, the baby's movem,ent or rotation, or the birth process at all?

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 12:25 PM

Not in my experience. With my first, my placenta was anterior and with my second it was posterior. The births were pretty similar .

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:43 PM

My midwife and I have done quite a bit of talking about posterior births (my first two children were born OP). One factor she mentioned was that an anterior placenta may be more likely to cause a posterior position for the baby.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 08-27-2007, 02:27 PM

yes.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

so since i have a antera placenta -- that is it in on teh back of my womb -- i am doomed to have another postier baby -- great

A

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 PM

An anterior placenta is on the front of your womb. Posterior placentas are on the back of your womb.

Having an anterior placenta does NOT mean you are 'doomed' to a posterior birth!

That is but a theory...people are always trying to figure out why some babies like to present posterior (with baby's back toward your back, instead baby's back toward your front). There are many possible reasons/theories on why posterior presentations happen--but last I knew, no one really knows for sure.

Yes, in SOME cases, placental placement can affect baby's position--but I don't believe it is possible to predict this.

Besides, posterior positioning, while 'famous' for creating harder labors, is not necessarily going to cause a harder labor or be any problem at all.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:46 PM

I've had two anterior placentas, and two LOA babes. The only real difference for me is that movement is felt less in the front at first - oh, and it's somewhat difficult to find the fetal hearttones with a fetascope.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 AM

For me, this was not the case. With my first baby I had an anterior placenta and he was not posterior. With my second I had a posterior placenta and he was posterior until just before before he was born (I was able to get him turned by swaying my hips with my hands planted on the bed during contractions).

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:12 PM
g&a

For a VBAC they don't like to see the placenta over your scar. Apparently (according to my midwife) there is a greater risk of hemoraging.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

User Tag List