Reasons to refuse a hep-lock? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I transferred from a FSBC to a hospital with #1 (long story) for Pitocin. At that point I had been in hard labor for 20+ hours and was exhausted, emotional, and probably dehydrated. I tell you what: they DID have a devil of a time getting that IV in. Actually, they did an extremely crappy job, to the extent that I actually screamed...and I hadn't screamed yet during the long posterior labor. The IV also infiltrated and my hand and arm were disgustingly bruised for at least a week afterwards. I assume the nurse hit a nerve, because I have tingling/numbness in a certain area of my arm and wrist to this day.

I don't know if this happened because it actually is hard to get an IV into a laboring woman--has anyone else heard this?-- or because hospital staff are incompetent. My MW was visibly pissed at the nurse.

Anyway, I did find the IV very annoying. I had IV abx during the labor at the birth center and we did not do a lock--they reinserted every time. I really think that was better, having since had the lock.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 12:41 PM

Getting sort of OT here, but it's really quite absurd that it's NOT the standard of care to give a novocaine injection before placing an IV. I've had it both ways (with and without novocaine) and it makes a tremendous difference. The novocaine shot is the tiniest little pinch, then you barely feel the IV business being set up. But I've had medical people try to tell me that getting novocaine makes it two jabs instead of one and it's beter to just get it over with : Easy for them to say.

My SIL is a nurse-practitioner who did her master's thesis on pain management and she firmly agrees that too little is done to help people with the pain of medical procedures because the personnel don't want to take the time/bother.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:07 PM

WRT to IVs in an emergency and difficulty inserting, etc., the anesthesiologist is quite good at doing that sort of thing. So if the nurses can't do it or are doing a bad job, the mom/her partner can request someone from anesthesiology to do it.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

Old 09-05-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
My hep-lock really hurt going in............they put it in a vein in my hand.
If you get an IV, ask for it "above the wrist" ... much more comfortable I have heard. In the hand hurt for a week afterwards, worse than any other part of me.:
Old 09-05-2007, 02:10 PM

I birthed in a hospital and also had a doula that backed me up 100%. I wanted a completely natural birth...absolutely no interventions. She also told me that the IV would be a big fight but if I absolutely didn't want it I she would help me refuse. Well it turns out that it wasn't a big fight, my OB told the nurse I didn't want one as soon as I went into the room and that was that. Stick to your guns...get what you want....you'll be more comfortable with yourself and will show the hospital staff that you're not afraid to stick up for yourself. Peace~

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
Old 09-05-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
...Actually, they did an extremely crappy job, to the extent that I actually screamed...and I hadn't screamed yet during the long posterior labor. The IV also infiltrated and my hand and arm were disgustingly bruised for at least a week afterwards. I assume the nurse hit a nerve, because I have tingling/numbness in a certain area of my arm and wrist to this day.
You bet they did a crappy job! :

You can try homeopathic Hypericum for the nerve damage. Some call it "the Arnica of the nerves." It can have tingling, shooting, and throbbing pains improved for elevating the affected part. It's potentized St. John's Wort.

Think of slicing the end of your thumb [a nerve rich area] and though the cut heals nicely for days after it intermittently throbs until you stick your head above your shoulder like you're hitchhiking. That's a classic Hypericum case.

Quote:
I don't know if this happened because it actually is hard to get an IV into a laboring woman--has anyone else heard this?-- or because hospital staff are incompetent. My MW was visibly pissed at the nurse...
Laboring woman has nothing to do with it. Competency levels can vary greatly across individual staff persons. As another mentioned generally anesthesiologists are generally the most skilled in finding a vein. That's who ERs will call in when they can't get a vein.

Obese folks can have curlier veins which are harder to access but a few skinny folks have that as well. Dehydration can make it more difficult but generally that's only a challenge in babies that have narrower veins to start with. I think the biggest problem in finding a vein is when someone has significant internal or external bleeding and the shallower veins have collapsed. That's when you'll see someone slapping the inner arm repeatedly trying to get enough blood to the surface to find a vein and place an IV. If that doesn't work quickly I think it's best to stop and go for the scalp, groin or neck. I've seen too many folks, once they start to recover, with a big bruise from their pits to wrists and from down their legs. I figure if their in such bad shape that their veins are collapsing they don't need more trauma.

Sorry for getting off into the gore. You obviously weren't such a case. If you were you would have lost consciousness and been automatic (and IMO warranted) cesarean.

~BV

User Tag List