How can I convince OB to NOT induce? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 09-14-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 20 weeks in my third pregnancy and I've been told that I will have to be induced (again). My first was induced at 41 weeks because they said that my amniotic fluid was too low. My second was induced on my due date because dd1 had her shoulder stuck during birth and her right clavicle was broken as a result. Ds(second birth) did not get stuck, but the OB said that he would have if she had not anticipated it and turned him accordingly. Now, the OB wants to induce me this time at 39 weeks to avoid another baby getting stuck. I understand the seriousness of that situation, but I believe that if the OB allows me to go into labor naturally, the chances of this happening would be the same anyway. FYI, my daughter was 7lbs3oz at 41weeks and my son was 7lbs9oz on his due date. So, is it safe to go into labor naturally? I don't want to be induced again because I do labor naturally and the pain with induction is almost unbearable. I would really like to have a better birth experience this time. Sorry this turned into a medical journal article - too much detail. Any feedback would be appreciated.
#2 of 50 Old 09-14-2007, 07:24 PM

The easiest way is to not show up for your induction. Avoid their phone calls when they call looking for you.

OR

Show him/her that you've done your homework and believe that the situation will not happen again. Complain about the painful inductions you've had. You can also prepare your mind/body for labor by doing yoga or perineal massage, hypnobirthing, etc.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#3 of 50 Old 09-14-2007, 07:25 PM

Hey, it's so hard reading stories like this. Tara, this is YOUR birth. You can decline an induction, which given your situation is entirely reasonable. Frankly, sounds like you have an induction-happy o.b. I know it can be very hard to stand your ground with doctors - do you have, or have you considered having a doula? Also, know that it is never too late to change care providers if you do not trust the one you're with. I'm in Georgia too, actually - if you need ANY help with resources, info., etc., please let me know; I'm a doula and know lots of CB educators and other birth professionals.
#4 of 50 Old 09-14-2007, 07:28 PM

Well, you have a couple of options. One is to switch healthcare providers, either to a different OB, to a family practitioner (usually, but not always, more naturally-minded), or to a midwife. Another option is simply to remember that no doctor can force you to have an induction. You can be discharged from care earlier in the pregnancy, but if you get to the end of the pregnancy with an OB and you refuse or don't show up for your induction, he or she can't drop you from care at that point.

I think the best option is to find a new doctor or other HCP. Someone who will support your desire for a natural birth.

In terms of how safe it is for you to labor naturally or deliver vaginally, that's something that requires a little more research. Women who've experienced a prior shoulder dystocia are more likely to see it again. However, you said your births were induced. That makes me wonder if you gave birth in an upright position or not. Birthing upright opens the pelvic outlet and can reduce the chances of a stuck baby. Also, your doctor may not use the gaskin maneuver, which is basically just having a mama with a stuck baby flip over in order to free the baby. In most cases, this is all that's necessary, but many OBs are unaware of the techniqure or are unwilling to try it (or it's impossible because the mama has had an epidural). I think ultimately only you can decide which risks you're more comfortable with, but if you decide you'd rather labor naturally and avoid the induction, find a HCP who will be supportive of that decision.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but can't induction actually lead to stuck babies because they're more likely to end up malpositioned during an induction? Not sure about that one or if it applies to a shoulder dystocia situation.
#5 of 50 Old 09-14-2007, 07:28 PM

Oh, you're not in Georgia
#6 of 50 Old 09-14-2007, 07:38 PM

Just say no. Were you pushing on your back when the baby got "stuck"?

-Angela
#7 of 50 Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 PM

An Ob who has induced you twice and is already talking about it at only 20w, doesn't sound like a good provider to me. Also, first time was 41w, then 40w, now he wants to do it at 39w? Jeez, will he suggest your next baby be induced at 35w???? :

Personally, I'd find a new provider.

Or

Get some EVIDENCED-based info on induction, sticky shoulders, and present it to your Ob. And then be prepared for him telling you that you're going to kill your baby and all kinds of other nonsense.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#8 of 50 Old 09-14-2007, 07:57 PM

I agree with the pp's - You appear to have a very-medically minded CYA OB. You might be much better off with another provider who actually practices evidence based care.

Where in VA are you? I might be able to point you to some resources. PM me if you prefer.

sweetpea
#9 of 50 Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 PM

Well, honestly, while a broken clavicle doesn't sound like fun, it also isn't life-threatening.

I know that sounds harsh, but, what I mean is, the risks of induction are more than I'd be willing to risk to avoid a possibly broken clavicle. I would think that once labor is progressing, they will be able to tell if the baby is "stuck" or not, and, if intervention *is* necessary, do it then (I don't think intervention is necessary, but, worst case scenario)...why induce? That's what's getting me...how will inducing prevent the baby not being turned correctly? Your OB has even said that your son avoided it because he "turned him correctly"...well, just tell him to turn this next baby correctly.

I had early dilation and bleeding (no cause determined), and the ob was pushing at 37 weeks (!!!!) for an induction. I just kept saying that when they could show me that the baby was in obvious fetal distress they were welcome to slice me open in the office, but, until then, I'd wait to go into labor naturally. I gave birth (no induction) at 41 w 1 d.

FWIW, my mom had a broken clavicle at birth (natural) and she was under six pounds (but late!). She has never had problems from it.
#10 of 50 Old 09-14-2007, 10:20 PM

Sounds to me like you had a true should dystocia during your first birth - which does statistically increase your chance of having another baby with a shoulder dystocia. Although a broken clavicle may not be life threatening - the situation from which it arose (sd) is life threatening.

You can do a lot to avoid a shoulder dystocia though - such as avoiding an epidural and listening to your body during labor and birth. During an induced labor, this is much more difficult to do since you are continously monitored which restricts mobility.

I would focus on educating myself about shoulder dystocia and natural birth. I also would find a different OB. Yes you can not show up for an induction - and you do have patient rights, but fighting for what you want during labor releases stress hormones which counteract your birthing ability. Why not find a supportive HCP?

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student
#11 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyminer View Post
Sounds to me like you had a true should dystocia during your first birth - which does statistically increase your chance of having another baby with a shoulder dystocia.
IMO it's not dystocia if mom was on her back and no position change was tried.

-Angela
#12 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, an extra two or three weeks isn't going to reduce the risk of shoulder dystocia. In fact, half of all shoulder dystocias are babies under 8lbs.

I don't think you should assume it's your responsibility to convince your doctor of anything. In fact, the fact that you had a hospital birth and was likely on your back played into the shoulder dystocia issue.

Induction increases your risk of cesarean section. I'm surprised your doc isn't talking about doing that instead of inducing.

My advice? Get thee to a homebirth midwife - or at least a family practice doc or nurse-midwife. You need some better, more research-based care!
#13 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
IMO it's not dystocia if mom was on her back and no position change was tried.

-Angela
Actually, I think most dystocias are caused by mom being on her tailbone - it decreases the pelvic outlet greatly and doesn't foster baby's natural ability to rotate down through the pelvis.

And most women in hospitals cannot change position because 1) they have epidurals; 2) they are on the most ridiculous narrow beds; 3) their providers don't understand the mechanics of shoulder dystocia and would rather cut an episiotomy and have the vagina right in front of them upright than to have the woman move into another position, precariously so with a baby's head out of her.

We cannot say for sure if it was a true shoulder dystocia based on the fact that we weren't there, but with a broken clavicle, it sounds likely.
#14 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 01:17 AM

yep, I'd fire them, find a midwife (homebirth or hospital based, your choice) instead. OBs just don't understand birth. They understand how to scare you into doing things that are convenient for them but are not in your best interest.

Always remember one thing, they work for you- you pay their salary. They have no business telling you what they will "allow you" to do, a quality birth attendant will empower you to make your own choices and always remind you that they are indeed YOUR choices to make.

I would think that inducing would cause a baby to be more likely to get stuck or malpositioned- those last few weeks it seems like the baby always gets into a better position for birth and with a natural labor if the baby isn't in a favorable position, contractions won't be as productive until you move around and the baby wiggles into a better position. And definately, as pp have said, giving birth on your back is the worst of all positions when it comes to babies getting stuck.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#15 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 01:20 AM

I would schedule a Meeting with your doctor, not an OB visit with the peeing and weight, but a sit in you office and talk meeting. I would tell Doc your concerns, and tell Him/er that you are not comfortable with this plan, and that you have no intention to be at a scheduled induction. I would have some documentiation handy, and stick to your guns. Contact Doula's in your area, and see if you can afford one- if not still contact them and tell them that you really need help and that you can only pay X ammount.

How is your OB going to understand you if you don't talk to Him/er. They need to know why you are unhappy, and if things don't work out then they will know the reason. Don't let the medical community become your decision makers. Make your own decision that is right for your family, and stick to your guns.

Keep us posted also!!

*Blessings*

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#16 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 01:22 AM

Just say NO!

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#17 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
My advice? Get thee to a homebirth midwife - or at least a family practice doc or nurse-midwife. You need some better, more research-based care!
Precisely. Forget what your insurance pays for and get a decent hcp if you do not want another induction.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#18 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taralv View Post
Now, the OB wants to induce me this time at 39 weeks to avoid another baby getting stuck. I understand the seriousness of that situation, but I believe that if the OB allows me to go into labor naturally, the chances of this happening would be the same anyway.
First off, the OB doesn't "allow" you to do anything. It's your body, your baby, and you are the one who does the allowing.

Secondly, I wouldn't even try to convince an OB not to do anything. I just wouldn't agree to the induction and if for whatever reason they ended up scheduling it, I wouldn't show up (just like I would do in the case of a schedule c/s).

Third, are they that sure of your dates that they know if they induce at 39 weeks that there's *no* chance that your baby will be premature?

Above all, I agree with the pps - it's time to find a different CP. There are other options out there and you're early enough in your pregnancy that you've got some time to start looking.
#19 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 07:13 PM

Find an OB or midwife who recognizes the fact that you're an adult capable of making your own health care decisions. Is he the one pushing a baby out of his vagina? If not, whether to induce or not is not his choice. Do what you want to do.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#20 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 07:33 PM

Say no and don't go for the appointment.
#21 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymamato2 View Post
The easiest way is to not show up for your induction. Avoid their phone calls when they call looking for you.
:

Wish I'd done that, honest-to-God.
#22 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
Well, honestly, while a broken clavicle doesn't sound like fun, it also isn't life-threatening.
No, but it's not how I would want my baby to come into the world, either. I've never broken a bone, but I'm sure it hurts. Probably really a lot. If an induction spares the baby that pain, I would take the induction. I know that most here wouldn't, but I would.
#23 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 10:18 PM

IF you want to keep this UCV Care Provider - I'd schedule a clothing-on in-office-not-exam-room meeting and show up informed and talk about what you DO want and what you WON'T consent to.

Although I might want to I would not ignore the subject and not show up for an induction - what if they tried a CPS type thing?

I'd tell them my intentions and if they won't "let" me make my own informed medical choices I'd find another CP.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#24 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siennasmom View Post
No, but it's not how I would want my baby to come into the world, either. I've never broken a bone, but I'm sure it hurts. Probably really a lot. If an induction spares the baby that pain, I would take the induction. I know that most here wouldn't, but I would.
An induction is not going to prevent a broken clavicle. A skilled midwife, freedom to move about and instinctive pushing (or not pushing) will spare a baby a broken clavicle.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#25 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 11:02 PM

That was my point, exactly. All an induction will do is get a baby going along, against his/her will, before s/he is ready to be born. If baby isn't turned correctly, or whatever (which is what the OP stated in her original post), then, induction isn't going to prevent it.

Were Baby to truly become stuck, THEN intervention could be done. Assuming baby will be stuck is illogical to me...they told me my baby would come "early" based on my dilation...she was 8 days late.

OBs are not God.
#26 of 50 Old 09-15-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Me too, I would induce IF I thought there was any way in heck it would decrease the odds of this highly stressful and painful way for my baby to come into the world.

But, yeah, I wouldn't really do it because induction doesn't make sense.

I would rather find a midwife or even an OB familiar with the Gaskin manuver.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#27 of 50 Old 09-16-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBirthGirl View Post
An induction is not going to prevent a broken clavicle. A skilled midwife, freedom to move about and instinctive pushing (or not pushing) will spare a baby a broken clavicle.
Exactly. I would love to hear the circumstances of the OP's first 2 births- I am willing to bet she gave birth on her back- which decreases the pelvic outlet by at least 33%. Giving birth upright (squatting, on all fours, etc) opens the pelvis and is the best way to decrease the odds of shoulder dystocia, not induction.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#28 of 50 Old 09-17-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
OK... but an induction increases your childs risks of having a traumatic birth experience overall, including a possible c-section which is not good for him/her in any way (providing there is no reason other than a failed induction that wasn't needed necessarily in the first place).

Why risk all of the potential complications when 2-3 weeks is likely to not make any difference for dystocia anyway if you are wanting to spare your baby pain/trauma?

I'm hoping you find the best solution for you and your babe. Sounds like time for a change in care providers, or at least getting a doula (and refusing the induction) IMO.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#29 of 50 Old 09-18-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sorry I have been mia from my own post - busy week. Anyway, I am trying to look for another provider. We are in a sort of rural area that makes it almost inevitable that we will have to travel, but I found a midwife practice that births in a birthing center in a hospital. The midwife I spoke with said that she would also induce me due to the shoulder dystocia. I also found a group of midwives that birth at home, and I have been trying to get a hold of them to get an appointment, but they only have office hours on WED and FRI so we have played some phone tag. I spoke briefly with one of the midwives and she said that she would need more information but did not think that I should be induced. However, dh is very opposed to homebirth. He hears an OB saying induction is necessary and he believes it. Period. I'm working on that. I've actually had three different OBs in different states because we have moved so much in the last 6 years. New Mexico, Oregon and now Virginia. So, the OB I have now is not the one who delivered dd or ds, hope that clears up that misunderstanding. And I did labor on my back in a hospital bed, but that was mosty because the pain of labor is so overwhelming for me that by the end I just don't have the energy to get up on all fours and turn over. I've seen women do that on shows that show natural labor, and I have always wondered how they had the strength. I labor on my side, focused entirely on relaxing my body so that I don't clench up with the pain of the contractions until my body just basically starts to push by itself and then I guess I've always just rolled onto my back and started pushing. Anyway, I think I will start with having the in office conversation with the current OB and go from there. Thanks again for all of your input.

Tara
#30 of 50 Old 09-18-2007, 05:54 PM

Tara,

I'd also look into spinningbabies.com to see about what you can do NOW, prenatally, to help get and keep your baby in an optimal position for birth. I would NOT consent to an induction, because inducing increases the risk that your baby will be malpositioned. Look into laboring in the water, I hear that being in water helps you to relax because it doesn't force you to deal with gravity plus the hard work you're doing, and it will help you in being upright as much as possible, and to move as the baby needs you to move. You also sound like a great candidate for water birth for the same reason.

Also, work with your DH to help him learn about options in pregnancy and childbirth. You'll need him on board with whatever decisions you make when you're in labor. If something does go wrong, heaven forbid, you need him to be supportive of the choices you've decided on prenatally. Birth is NOT the time to have a difference of opinion.

Good luck and KUP.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page