Contact Lenses & Giving Birth - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 09-19-2007, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wore my contacts during both of my homebirths. Huh, I never even thought about it. Interesting.

, , , and
#32 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 02:33 PM

My first birth was a hospital birth and they made me take them out.

the second birth was 29 hours and I wore them the whole time but took them out right after to nap. So, all of my pictures are of me looking fat and dorky in my giant glasses.

The third birth was 42 hours and I took them out sometime during the middle of labor. Fat and dorky looking, but in much more stylish glasses this time.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#33 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:13 PM

See, I have sort of the opposite question. Before pregnanc, I normally wore contacts... and I had the kind that you can wear for 30 days without ever taking them out. But early in pregnancy, my eyes were really dry and the contacts were uncomfortable. So I started wearing contacts. Once the dryness cleared up, I tried to go back to my contacts, but I just couldn't see as well with them in as I could with my glasses. So I have pretty much been wearing my glasses nonstop. But I've been thinking about when I go into labor, if the glasses will be uncomfortable (getting wet in the birth pool, sliding down my sweaty nose, etc) and I've thought about trying to wear my contacts. But if I can't see as well with my contacts, then will that be a problem? For me it's a delimma. I guess I could go to my doctor and ask for a temporary prescription that might work better for my pregnant eyes... the issue with that, though, is that I got this last supply of contacts with a new doctor (we moved) and I don't particularly like the doctor. He creeps me out and they screwed up both my contact order and my glasses prescription. So it would mean finding a new doctor within the next 2 weeks. Bleh. Seems like a lot to worry about.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#34 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM

I think I had my contacts in my hospital bag. I wore glasses durign my entire hospital saty. i had to have my mom bring them to the OR for me, so I could see the baby.

I put them in again, I think when I left the hospital. I managed to find time every day to put them in. I didn't find time to eat or brush my teeth or shower, but for contacts, oh yes.
#35 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM

I used to wear contacts but wasn't using them at the time that I gave birth to DS. I wish that I was, because they took my glasses away and I couldn't even see him the 2 times they showed him to me after my C-section. All I saw was a pink blob after they pulled him out, and again in recovery. I didn't really see his face until 4 hours after delivery! KEEP YOUR CONTACTS IN!
#36 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:30 PM

I've never heard of having to remove contacts before a c/s. What would the potential danger be?? I took out my tongue piercing before going into the hospital to have my son (figured just in case they needed to intubate me in an emergency) but I never considered my eyes....

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#37 of 42 Old 01-25-2008, 07:08 AM

I don't bother asking them for permission or telling them.I wore my contacts through all of my labors.They are just too concerned with the idea that you WILL need surgery.The contacts restriction is just as annoying as no food,using a heplock,heart monitor and making you change into one of their illfitting gowns.
I only wear my glasses from the bed to the bathroom.My glasses have been knocked off and I just can't see out of them no matter how new the script.I've always found time for a quick shower(okay rinse) and popping in of contacts even though I forget to pee.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#38 of 42 Old 01-25-2008, 05:40 PM

I'm pretty sure I had mine in for the whole birth. Also, no problems with them during the NB phase.
#39 of 42 Old 01-25-2008, 05:44 PM

I had 3 hospital births and never took my contacts out.
#40 of 42 Old 01-27-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I figure one of the main reasons they have their contacts out is because they're in a hospital & you probably have to, just in case, right?
I've had 3 hospital births and I've never heard such a thing. Not even online or among my friends. you can cross this one off your "what if"s

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#41 of 42 Old 01-27-2008, 02:03 PM

I had a hospital water birth, and wore my contacts the entire time. They suggested that it might be more comfortable to bring glasses in case my eyes got dry during labor, but didn't force me to take them out. After DS was born I prefered wearing glasses and would occasionally wear contacts, now I wear contacts all the time because he likes to pull my glasses off and chew on them

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#42 of 42 Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 PM

Don't a lot of moms end up wearing their glasses because their prescription changes because of pregnancy and they don't get a change to get new contacts for awhile?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page