Water birth question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2007, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a first time mom-to-be and have kind of a silly question. I will be having a water birth at a birth center with midwives and I was wondering what do you wear?? I know I will be mostly naked but I don't think I would feel comfortable being totally naked the whole time I am in the tub Obviously a bathing suit wouldn't work but I was just wondering what some moms who maybe are a little shy like me did during their water births.

Ally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sometimes women wear a sports bra. but then most of the time it comes off because, depending upon their position, it could get cold being wet. maybe one of those tankini bathing suit tops?

I think it's normal to ask about these things with your first baby. I worried, too....but then in the heat/midst of labor, I didn't really care. It may be different for you.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:25 PM

I had a hospital waterbirth and a home waterbirth and I was totally naked both times. I figure it was all women present, they had all seen this many times before, and for me, clothes in labor suck! I wanted to be naked both times.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

Old 09-19-2007, 08:34 PM

This is a great question, I too am a first time mom (almost), having a water birth. I *plan* on wearing either my bathing suit tankini top or just a regular tank top... I may opt for nothing if I'm feeling comfortable, or I may get in with something on and take it off if I need to.

It's funny, I never really thought of my self as being modest... but for some reason I am not totally comfortable going completely naked. That may change, but right now I plan on being partially covered.

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
Old 09-19-2007, 08:45 PM

Throughout my pregnancy, I always thought that I would were a spaghetti strap tank top. So I bought a couple cute ones. Then I went into labor and asked dh to fill the tub.

I stripped down and got in - I mean, it was just dh, dd and me, right! But when the midwife got there, I was already ready to push and didn't even think to put something on. It didn't even phase me. Birth is such an organic experience that when you just go with the flow, it all works out.

Congrats on your preg and for a great birth!

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
Old 09-20-2007, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm very shy and didn't think I would be comfortable naked with the midwife and her apprentice or even my mom. So I bought some cute tank tops to wear. When my labor started I was wearing DHs boxers and his t-shirt, my labor was only 3 hours and 45 min total and extremely intense so the last thing on my mind was changing my clothes. I had my boxers off right away then after DD came out the midwife took my shirt off in the pool. I was walking around naked, getting cleaned up and into bed, and didn't care at all.
I think I worried about that the most.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos. Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 
Old 09-20-2007, 12:09 PM

I've been wondering the same thing in anticipation of DC#!, a planned waterbirth for Dec. I think I'd like to have a plan in mind for what to wear, and have it available, and then if I decide to go nude at the last minute, fine.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:43 PM

I agree that you probably won't care when the time comes... but as for things to wear: I have a two-piece maternity swimsuit that consists of a dress-like top and briefs. The top alone does come down to the butt, so it would be even more discreet than a conventional tankini top. Might want to search out one of these!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 PM

I wondered about this too. When the MWs said I could get in the tub, I remember having a fleeting thought about how funny it was that I threw my clothes off without a hint of modesty! Not like me at all! I do wish that I had been wearing a bra or something though so that I would be comfortable showing people the pictures.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:36 PM

I wore a tank top.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:39 PM

As a doula, most of my moms - and myself included, both times - were so deep in the throes of labor that the tops come off without any sort of thought whatsoever.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:48 PM

I am (well, used to be) extremely modest. I brought a black tank top with me so I wouldn't be totally naked. When the time came to get in the water to have DS1 I was so into laboring that I didn't care if I was in the middle of Times Square and naked, I wasn't worried about it. With DS2 I was too busy begging to get in the tub to worry about my modesty. It was only a 45 minute labor and I really wanted to get in the tub but the hospital didn't allow water births and I didn't understand what the midwife meant when she said that she didn't think I had time to get in the water. I had 3 contractions in the tub and then had the baby...almost in the tub. I guess my little guy was trying to break the rules!

Good for you for wanting a water birth. Don't spend too much time worrying about what to wear because chances are it will never come into play.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 PM

I'm not a naked birther. With my last three births (all waterbirths) I wore either a bathing suit top or a sports bra. Out of the tub I wore a light robe or a nightie.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 PM

I see many mamas wearing a sports bra or tank top. Very modest mamas might like a small towel draped over their bellies and upper thighs in the water to cover up (and it keeps the belly warm and feels really nice if someone slowly pours water over it) if they recline.
The top does get cold after a bit, and most mamas will take it off after the baby is born.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 PM

my first birth i labored in the tub. i wore a tank top and a sarong when i got out. with my second birth i was much more comfortable with everything. when they told me i could get in the pool i stripped down and got ready to work!
Old 09-21-2007, 01:19 PM

I labored in the tub at a birth center (they weren't allowed to do water births) and by then all of my modesty was gone. I don't remember if I was naked before I got into the tub, or just afterwards until she was born.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
Old 09-22-2007, 12:30 AM

Even the most modest mothers seem to become less so and most end up naked by the end...or so I hear! I am very modest but I gave birth naked the first time, and the second time in my sports bra because I simply didn't think to take it off.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 09-22-2007, 02:00 AM

I'm very modest and never even considered giving birth naked! But when the time came to get in the tub, my top came off and in I went. I was never uncomfortable-- I don't think I even noticed!

Marcy, mama to Asher (8 yrs) and Kaia (6 yrs)
Old 09-22-2007, 02:08 AM

I was naked for both births. DD1 I was naked as soon as I could and up until I decided to transfer. DD2 I went back and forth since I was in and out of our tub often and because my SIL was there (she is anti naked and had made comments that made me want to respect her boundaries). In the end my SIL still saw me naked (right after the birth) and it didn't phase either of us.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:58 AM

I wore a sleeping bra type bra for the birth of DD. She was waterborn at home. It's wasn't so much a modesty thing (it was just DH, mw, assistant, and my sister there) as I knew I wanted pictures taken of the birth and immediately after and I wanted to be able to share those pictures with everyone.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 09-22-2007, 04:19 PM

With my first I was determined that I would not be one of those women who walks around all naked during labor. When the time came, I could not stand to have anything touching me...even screamed at DH to take my watch off! And it didn't bother me at all to be naked...even afterward when my midwife's teenage son came by to visit and baby was laying on my bare chest! With my second, clothes didn't bother me and I wore a sports bra style swimsuit top in the pool.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:55 AM

Another naked here
Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 AM

As a midwife that does a lot of home waterbirths, I can tell you that everything the wise women here have been saying is true. MANY women who think they can't be naked, end up being so! And it's fine, of course. A lot do wear sports bras, bathing suit tops or tanks/camisoles (the ones with the built in shelf bras are nice). One very modest woman birthed in the water in her knee-length nursing nightgown, which billowed up all around her as she labored, and under which I had to catch the baby, blind. One down side is that, if you end up getting in and out of the tub alot, the top you're wearing will become cold and you may want to take it off. In this case, you'll want to have a supply of possible tops to wear. And once you get out of the tub after the birth, you'll definitely want to change that top, so you don't have your baby against a cold wet surface.

However, one thing that hasn't been mentioned so far here is photos. If you want to have pictures of you and baby in the water during/after the birth, having a top on makes those photos more "share-able".
Old 09-25-2007, 12:37 PM

I labored but did not birth in the tub. Prior to getting in the tub, I wore a long maternity tank top and undies (my water had long since broken). Once I got in the tub, naked. It was just me, my husband, and the midwife, all of whom had seen me naked before! Well, then there was the doula and the birth assistant, but I figured their entire job is working with naked women, so it didn't matter. If I'd wanted to be more modest, I could have worn the tank top into the water. Or worn a tankini top the whole time.

Hint: you may not want to do a lot of clothing changes during labor. I certainly didn't. So maybe wear something you can take into the water with you, and then have something EASY to get into once you get out of the water.

When I got out of the water, I put on a huge flannel button down shirt of my husband's, unbuttoned, just for warmth -- and like so many mamas here, all my modesty flew out the window. It was amazing to me how willing I was to be naked. Kind of neat, really, to shed those body image issues. I think I was just so in awe at my body and its power, I didn't care to cover it up!

So like everyone is saying: bring a tankini-type top but don't worry about it because odds are, you will be comfortable going nude.

Have wonderful births, mamas!

Mimi :yawning: the happy mama of one DD & one DS ; married to my sweetie.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
I wondered about this too. When the MWs said I could get in the tub, I remember having a fleeting thought about how funny it was that I threw my clothes off without a hint of modesty! Not like me at all! I do wish that I had been wearing a bra or something though so that I would be comfortable showing people the pictures.
That is the ONLY thing you'll look back on/think about. During and after the fact, you'll care less about what clothing you are/are not wearing. But the above is an excellent point!

My last labor was super fast (2 hours total) so as soon as the tub was ready, I ripped off everything I could between contractions and jumped in. I ended up wearing just my bra and I felt okay about sharing the pictures then too.

My then 12 year old and almost 11 year old sons were at the birth and it was DAYS later that I thought how strange it must have been for them to see their mom ripping her clothes off and plunging into the pool! Even they survived the experience.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 PM

I wore a swimsuit tank

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I didn't birth in the water, but I spent most of my labor in it. I wore a sports bra. It's amazing, I've always been a shy person, but when I was in labor I didn't even notice. In fact, I vaguely remember taking off all my clothes and dropping them in a pile on the floor when we got into our L&D room. Clothing was about the last thing on my mind at the time. I dont' recall being cold at all in labor.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
Old 09-25-2007, 08:38 PM

I had a tankini bathing suit top plus two soft sports bras/night nursing bra thingies that I kept swapping in and out of throughout the labor. I was in and out of the pool a few times, so the midwife or my SIL would put the used tops into the dryer so we had a supply of warm clothes for me. I went from being very, very overheated to shivering cold several times, so it was nice to pull on a toasty top. Ultimately, I wound up birthing wearing one of the bras, which covered me just enough to make the photos safe for the general public. (Well, that and a quick-thinking midwife who draped a towel over my belly right before the whole family came traipsing into the room!)
Old 10-10-2007, 05:46 PM

I too am having a waterbirth @ home and while I am not shy about being naked in front of my husband, add a midwife, assistant and a couple family members and I'm not sure how I will feel. I got the sports bra, but I also got a skirt made out of the swimsuit material. I figure it may come in handy when getting in and out of the tub!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBirthGirl View Post
I had a hospital waterbirth and a home waterbirth and I was totally naked both times. I figure it was all women present, they had all seen this many times before, and for me, clothes in labor suck! I wanted to be naked both times.
Totally.

User Tag List