Have you ever witnessed someone elses birth? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Have you witnessed someone elses birth?
yes 135 64.59%
no 74 35.41%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 78 Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No and don't want to either

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#62 of 78 Old 09-26-2007, 02:52 PM

I was there when a former friend gave birth to her 1st son. I was horrified. The epi didn't work and they had to it again, she was on her back almost the entire time and in the end the OB cut her after arguing with the midwife who didn't think it was necessary to cut.
Back then I thought all this drama was normal and all the interventions and feel a bit sorry for her that she wasn't educated enough about the matter and let them do whatever they wanted to her.
#63 of 78 Old 09-26-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
and feel a bit sorry for her that she wasn't educated enough about the matter and let them do whatever they wanted to her.
A really depressing component of this sentiment is that many women *are* educated about birth, but when they find themselves in a setting where they are being intimidated by scare tactics and opinion rather than evidence-based information, informed consent becomes a joke.

I can say from personal experience, it doesn't matter how educated one is, when the hospital staff tells you that they have to do xyz so your baby doesn't die, it's a whole new ballgame. Pregnant and birthing women can be very vulnerable and are many times at the mercy of people who do not have their best interest at heart....no matter how educated about birth they might be. It's the system that needs fixing, IMO, not the mama.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#64 of 78 Old 09-26-2007, 05:01 PM

Both my brothers (at ages 16 mo and 5 years), and my cousin-in-law's 2nd child (I was at her first labor but it was in hospital and they had a "3 people" rule so the dad and 2 grandmas got to be in the room - which was an improvement on the family circus that had been present earlier, so I didn't mind AT ALL!)

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#65 of 78 Old 09-27-2007, 12:02 AM

Oh yes, when I was 10 I was at the birth of my baby brother (who is now 17. yikes) & in 2005 my best friend gave birth to her first child & I was able to be there. Sobbing. Don't ever put me in charge of the camera ; )

Aisling
#66 of 78 Old 09-27-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
A really depressing component of this sentiment is that many women *are* educated about birth, but when they find themselves in a setting where they are being intimidated by scare tactics and opinion rather than evidence-based information, informed consent becomes a joke.

I can say from personal experience, it doesn't matter how educated one is, when the hospital staff tells you that they have to do xyz so your baby doesn't die, it's a whole new ballgame. Pregnant and birthing women can be very vulnerable and are many times at the mercy of people who do not have their best interest at heart....no matter how educated about birth they might be. It's the system that needs fixing, IMO, not the mama.

:
#67 of 78 Old 09-27-2007, 11:12 AM

Yes, I have. A few years ago, I attended a friend of mine's second birth when her husband was deployed to Iraq. It was amazing, but it is also what cemented for me that I'd have an out-of-hospital birth.
#68 of 78 Old 09-27-2007, 12:14 PM

Yes, and it never gets boring. I've been to 7 births other than my own. I'm a labor Doula and it is the greatest job, I still cry each time I see a new baby emerge. It is such a special moment and I always feel honored to be a part of it. :

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#69 of 78 Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
During CNA training, I saw a couple.

Does watching my animals give birth count?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#70 of 78 Old 10-22-2007, 12:26 AM

i would have but my friend was told she needed a csection. :sigh: i was right outside the door, though...
and my mom is too private to have let me in the room, anyway, if she was physically able to birth vaginally, so nope.
#71 of 78 Old 10-22-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachi's_mommy View Post
My mom thought by watching her give birth it would freak me out and keep me from having sex for a while...it didn't work It was one of the most amazing experiences in my life and i would love to be able to witness it again. She didn't even think i'd actually watch but i just pulled the rocking chair to the end of the bed and watched with wonder.
Nearly the same exact story here. I was a little younger though, I was 12, and it was my sister being born.
She is 10 now!!
My mom ended up with an epidural, but otherwise did great. The only part I didnt like was the birth of the placenta... it just kinda blooped out. yucky! (I still dont care for placenta)

I've also seen my girlfriends son come into the world.
That was soo great because she said I was her doula, And it was amazing supporting her during that. She did so great. *very proud*
#72 of 78 Old 10-22-2007, 01:35 AM

No, unless you count my dairy goat! I was very moved by the birth of my baby billy goat. I got to *see* a baby come into the world unhindered just as nature intended.
#73 of 78 Old 10-22-2007, 01:37 AM

I saw my SIL give birth in the hospital. It was awesome. I was so honored to be there. I was on some sort of a natural high for days, not even sleepy, just *thrilled* to have seen there be nothing, and then *bam* a whole new life. It was incredible. I should be a midwife because I would walk around in constant state of overwhelming joy.

The way it went bothered me a bit, because a nurse yelled at me for touching her leg and thus making SIL unsterile, and when they did the episotomy, blood literially shot out... But OTOH, the nurses thought it rocked that I was preg and having a HB.
#74 of 78 Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
im always at the birth! never giving it

i have been blessed to see 8 births and it is bitter sweet every time!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#75 of 78 Old 10-22-2007, 02:10 AM

No. But my very best friend was at mine. Afterwards she said, "I'm no longer afraid of childbirth."

That's one of the best compliments I've ever received.
#76 of 78 Old 10-22-2007, 12:18 PM

Two years ago a friend of mine invited me to her homebirth, because she knew what a birth junkie I was (am).

In the last month I've assisted at five homebirths and each one has been unique in it's own way, and amazing.
#77 of 78 Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 PM

I witnessed 2 1/2 homebirths (one was a transfer) when I was twelve. I used to beg pregnant women in my community to attend their births, and because my mother was asked to be at those births I was allowed to be there also. At the first two I was very much included in the births. I got to hold one woman's leg as she pushed, and at the other I was in charge of warming the recieving blankets and having them ready to go.

I was asked to be at a friends birth a couple years ago, but the hospital insisted only her mother and partner could be there. I didn't have it in me at the time to insist, but I am more confident in myself now and I wouldn't take no for an answer if it happened again.

I want to be a Doula/Midwife but I am working on having #2 first.

Mother to two great kids. &
#78 of 78 Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 PM

No, but I made my sister promise to let me be her doula. I am doing the training as time permits...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page