how offensive is this tee-shirt? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 10-09-2007, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I think it's funny but I would never wear it.

(and of course there is a time and place for everything- even epidurals)

-Angela
Me too.

And I did have an epidural with my first.

Although it would be a nice antidote to these... :

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/epidura...t_/fpt_/c_666/

If I didn't have to search for it, I'd put in that eye roll smilie...

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#92 of 113 Old 10-09-2007, 02:42 AM

LMAO. Look at the numbers at the ends of those links.:

Edited to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
I'd rather have a shirt and shorts combo - shirt says "Not getting an epidural" bottom of the shorts say "Epidurals scare the shit out of me!"
Are you going to make one? 'cause I might buy one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by domestic_goddess View Post
I agree. There's no need to pick a fight over birth choices. I'd be annoyed to see one that said "Homebirths are for Hippies" or something like that. I went with natural childbirth because I could and wanted to. Does it make me a hero? Only to myself. I'm not out to prove anything to anyone but me.
ITA about being a hero only for yourself.

BTW... I think a "Homebirth is for Hippies" shirt would rock!

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#93 of 113 Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
I think it's very funny, but I don't think I'd wear it.

I had an epidural, because I'm a sissy.

Running a marathon hurts, too. Gas pain hurts, sometimes pooing hurts, vomiting hurts, breastfeeding while pregnant hurts. why should your pelvis coming apart to admit the passage of a skull not hurt?
:

I never had an epidural, but I can be a sissy, too. In fact, I was just at the dentist getting my very first adult filling, and I took pause to thank God for pain-numbing meds. Then, with no one to talk to, I took a moment to remember to have a little humility when thinking about why another person might want pain meds.. esp. the epi.
#94 of 113 Old 10-09-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
I think it plays to to the mentality that women choose natural childbirth to prove something or win an award.
I totally agree with that.

I was in induced-labour for 49 hours before I had to get an epidural, so I could rest and get back some energy so I could birth my baby! But yeah, I'm a sissy, compared to moms who have 3-hour labours without anything! :

Mom to two amazing boys, C (July 2005) and D (May 2010)

Founder/leader of a Babywearing group, and loving it!

#95 of 113 Old 10-09-2007, 10:54 AM

Hmm...

The
I've had an extremely painful spinal
can't stand the word "sissy" because it implies women are weak
hate when people are judgmental about birth choices
part of me thinks
that shirt is painfully hurtful and offensive

The
Farrelly Brothers movie watching
Johnny Knoxville fan
nose-milk snorting at Carlos Mencia
part of me.....
.....laughed
#96 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 07:34 AM

Sometimes we forget that the world doesn't revolve around us and our interests.

Epidurals are not just for labor. They are used for many different types of surgeries--general anesthesia in most cases has more potentially harmful complications than epidurals, and the increasing use of epidurals for these procedures decreases the morbidity and mortality rates of these surgeries.

Epidurals are also used for those who experience excruciating chronic pain. I took care of a guy who was crushed between two vehicles when a teen hit him as he was unloading his parked car. One leg was traumatically amputated, but they managed to reattach it. His legs, pelvis and spine sustained multiple crushing injuries. He spend three months in a level I trauma center.

His pain was often controlled to acceptable levels with physical therapy and pain medication, but at times his pain would become so unbearable he would literally scream when the bedsheets would touch his legs. So he would come in for an epidural to get relief and to get on top of the pain.

Is he a sissy? I would imagine he would be quite offended to see such a shirt.
#97 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijds View Post
Epidurals are not just for labor. They are used for many different types of surgeries--general anesthesia in most cases has more potentially harmful complications than epidurals, and the increasing use of epidurals for these procedures decreases the morbidity and mortality rates of these surgeries.
I opted out of a spinal and opted for general during my last surgury for the same reason I don't like labor epidurals. I didn't want a needle near my spine. I am glad it is available for people who want it but I personally took the risk with general anesthetic to protect my spine from being potentially damaged by a needle. I don't think the shirt is appropriate either way because IMO having someone enter your epidural space next to something as precious as a spinal cord with a sharp and dangerous object takes large amounts of courage. I have a friend who experiences chronic issues from a poorly delivered epidural that knicked her spinal cord.

A woman using the term sissy is like my mom calling my brother a son of a b: kind of silly :
#98 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
I'd rather have a shirt and shorts combo - shirt says "Not getting an epidural" bottom of the shorts say "Epidurals scare the shit out of me!"
Awesome!

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#99 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 04:34 PM

Maybe someone could make up a shirt that lists the effects of epidurals during childbirth, without judgement- no 'pros' and 'cons,' just information, nothing else. Then maybe someone standing with me in the checkout line would have something to read on my big pregnant belly instead of just looking at it in awe of how HUGE it is

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#100 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
I opted out of a spinal and opted for general during my last surgury for the same reason I don't like labor epidurals.
I wanted dh to be able to be there for the arrival of his kids. Aside from that...I'm not sure I could have made myself accept the spinal for my 2nd and 3rd sections. General makes me really sick and I feel like crap for weeks...but it doesn't terrorize me like the spinal does. It feels weird to admit that I would have almost preferred to be unconscious when my babies arrived, but...I think I would.

My only real labour was only 21 hours and no pushing...haven't experienced pain bad enough to make me want a needle in my spine. I'm not saying I never will - but I haven't yet. In most cases, I find pain much, much more tolerable than the effects of anesthesia. (I'm not a fanatic - I refuse the needle for dental fillings...but I didn't try to say no to it for my root canal, yk?)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#101 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Honestly, the shirt offends me. I usually have a high tolerance for pain - I had the majority of a root canal done without novocaine because I dread the needle more than the pain involved with the dental work. When it came to childbirth the pain was more than I could tolerate in a coherent rational way and I opted for the epidural even with my intense fear of needles. I wanted to be clear headed and with it for my births - my epidurals made that possible.

I guess that I just don't understand the need to mock other mothers and their birth choices.
#102 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
Honestly, the shirt offends me. I usually have a high tolerance for pain - I had the majority of a root canal done without novocaine because I dread the needle more than the pain involved with the dental work.
So, it is possible...the dentist refused to try - he was too afraid I'd jerk away or something.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#103 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 07:15 PM

As time goes on, and more family and friends tell me I'm going to need an epidural because I'm too sensitive to pain and I won't make it through my homebirth...

..the more I wish I had one of these shirts to stave them off.
#104 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
So, it is possible...the dentist refused to try - he was too afraid I'd jerk away or something.
Definitely possible but quite painful. I have a crazy fear of novocaine needles and it was worth the extra pain for me. I didn't jerk but I did cry.
#105 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 07:26 PM

meh. I did end up with an epi because of exhaustion/pitocin. I'm not a sissy, but if I saw someone wearing that, I don't think I'd be so much offended as in disbelief. If someone has to put others down to make themselves feel good about their "choices" (because medical interventions aren't always a choice)- that's pretty sad, and they must not be very enlightened or peaceful people. It says much more about their own life than anyone else's.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#106 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
[...]It says much more about their own life than anyone else's.
I agree.

#107 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 PM

I saw that shirt and told a friend about it - I think it's awful! What a horrible assumption to make that all women who get epidurals are sissies! That is name-calling and it is awful!

I am a doula so I definitly believe that epidurals have to be very carefully used but I can't believe that someone would call a woman a sissy for using one.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#108 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 09:24 PM

Just thought some might want to lend support over here :
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...94#post9419294

#109 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
Definitely possible but quite painful. I have a crazy fear of novocaine needles and it was worth the extra pain for me. I didn't jerk but I did cry.
I'm sure I would have, too. I was over an hour in the chair, with a triple-root tooth. I was ready to cry just from having my jaw wedged open for so long. I'm sure the pain would have been bad...but I really, really hate novocaine...

#110 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 09:49 PM

I don't really find it offensive...it's just kinda lame. I'd never wear it.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#111 of 113 Old 10-12-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I read the works of Dr. Grantly Dick-Read and think that his works were a load of misogynistic hooey. I've had four births, all different, but all involved some degree of pain or another, with no major complications. It didn't seem prudent to listen to a man tell me how birth "should" be, seeing how he has never gone through it. Personally, I don't think telling women birth shouldn't be painful if they do it right is the path to more natural childbirths. This is probably for another thread though.
I. totally. agree.
#112 of 113 Old 10-13-2007, 05:27 AM

@}-`-}-,-'-
#113 of 113 Old 10-13-2007, 05:39 PM

I'm actually not offended by it. But I can see how others would be.

Doula mama to artistic DD and monster DS. #3 on the way!
HAVE YOU HEARD OF SQUAT ANARCHIST BIRTH JOURNAL YET?? IF NOT, GOOGLE IT!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page