Is it legal to refuse the part where a nurse has to carry your baby to your car? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 115 Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This kind of upset me last time, they told me that I had to let a nurse or employee carry my newborn out of the birth center room to our car, like to verify that the baby had gone to the right family, or maybe to mkae sure had a car seat or some such? But it made me feel bad, I was so weepy and emotional post partum and didn't want strangers holding my baby. Maybe if I can't refuse it I'll just get up and leave and not let them. We're in CA--anyone know about this law, or is it even a law, maybe was just a local policy...?

Thanks!
#2 of 115 Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 PM

I have NEVER heard of that!!! How bizarre...
#3 of 115 Old 10-02-2007, 06:40 PM

This is not CA law. When our kids were born, a hospital staff person had to accompany us out of the hospital to make sure we had a carseat for the baby and that we put the baby in said seat before driving away. That part may be the law or just a hospital policy, I'm not sure. But we didn't let them hold our baby!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#4 of 115 Old 10-02-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
This is not CA law. When our kids were born, a hospital staff person had to accompany us out of the hospital to make sure we had a carseat for the baby and that we put the baby in said seat before driving away. That part may be the law or just a hospital policy, I'm not sure. But we didn't let them hold our baby!
I'm in California, too and I agree that this is not California law. When both my kids were born, a hospital staff person wheeled me to our car while I held my baby in my arms.
#5 of 115 Old 10-02-2007, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We had to bring the car seat in, put the baby in it and then I held the baby in the seat while a nurse wheeled me out. They wouldn't let me walk but that was it.
#6 of 115 Old 10-02-2007, 06:56 PM

nope, not a law in CA.
#7 of 115 Old 10-02-2007, 07:59 PM

http://www.boondock.org/photos/2004/DSC00338.JPG

That's me sitting in the wheelchair while my husband pulled the car up to the Patient Discharge area at UCLA Westwood Hospital in Los Angeles, California in July 2004. Donovan was in the Maya Wrap the ENTIRE time.

You can ask them why they have that policy, and if they try to tell you it's a law, ask them for a citation and when it went into effect. They'll probably be completely unable to tell you, or if they do, it will be a law about making sure you have a carseat or making sure you don't drop the baby on the way out. (That's why mom and baby have to be in a wheelchair at UCLA... if we fell over, they'd be liable :-P).
#8 of 115 Old 10-02-2007, 08:05 PM

Weird. When I had both of my kids a nurse did accompany us to the car to check the installation of our carseat but I carried the baby both times (oh and I walked too--no wheelchair or anything).
#9 of 115 Old 10-02-2007, 08:07 PM

nak

we had to bring in our carseat with dd1, show we knew how to get her in, and then a nurse came out with us to make sure it was installed/fastened correctly.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#10 of 115 Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 PM

I have refused the wheel chair.

Went in after the birth of my first to get stitched up.
They had a chair for to go out in and I just point blank told them I can walk just fine thank you. End of story.
#11 of 115 Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 PM

My 1st was a hospital birth and the staff made us put our baby in the car seat up in the mother-baby ward. Not all infant carseats are designed to be infant carriers as well, so this policy pissed me off. If g_d forbid I have another hospital birth, you bet that baby will be in a wrap until we get to the car. If they want to verify that we use a car seat,, fine, but they will have to come down to the car to do that.

Oh, and I walked while I carried my newborn in the infant carrier/car seat.
#12 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've had 3 babies in CA. The 1st was 16 yrs ago & they carried the baby out & watched me install the car seat & everything. But the 2nd & the 3rd, both many years later, they just had me bring the car seat into the hospital & put the baby in it, then I walked out while the baby's dad carried the seat. No nurse was involved those times. I just assumed it was some old thing they used to do, like enemas during labor. I guess you can just call your hospital & ask!

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#13 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
When our kids were born, a hospital staff person had to accompany us out of the hospital to make sure we had a carseat for the baby and that we put the baby in said seat before driving away. That part may be the law or just a hospital policy, I'm not sure.
This was my experience with dd, we had the nurse accompany us to the car to check that we had a carseat for dd. I think you are totally in the right to feel the way you do about a nurse carrying your baby. I would definetly refuse...

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#14 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 AM

I've heard that here in FL they can't release the baby unless they're in a car seat. I don't know if that's an actual LAW or not, but it still freakin' makes me mad---We don't own a car, and didn't plan on getting a car seat right away anyway, as we take the city bus and planned on just getting a good stroller for outings. Now, we're trying to find a car seat just incase someone gets a case of the a** about the car seat issue....
Does anyone actually know if that's the case down here? Do we have to have a car seat to have the baby discharged??? It's the most asinine thing I've ever heard, but considering it's FL, I wouldn't doubt it if it's true.
#15 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 AM

I don't think they can refuse to let your baby go home if you're taking the bus. We never had an infant carseat, just a convertible one, and no one watched us put our children in them, so I don't know how they would know we even had one. It isn't law that you have to buy a carseat, just that you use one if you get into a car. I'd not worry about it at all.

I do want to know where you live that public transportation is so nice! Here in Central Florida, the buses are scant and unreliable.
#16 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 AM

I'm in west central FL on the water, and I've got to admit, the public bus system here has improved BIG TIME over the last 6 or 7 years, more routes, better timed schedules, better buses, lol. My county's slowly transitioning to hybrid buses, and rebuilding a few major transfer stations at the same time. It's come a long way, and I think that has something to do with the passenger number skyrocketing steadily (more $$ coming in)
#17 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 AM

That is lovely! I wish they would here! But I don't think enough people use it for it to be useful, you know?

I'm in the Lakeland area, are you close? And if you need some care providers names, let me know!
#18 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 AM

I'm in the far south Tampa Bay area, which would technically be close, but not very---Still a bit of a distance
#19 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 09:30 AM

Where I work, we HAVE to walk the patient to their car and make sure that the car seat is properly installed before they can go. You would be amazed at how many people do this completely wrong. I usually let the dad or another family member carry the baby in it's carseat. We rarely have babies who don't have bucket seats. We ask that the parents bring the bucket seat up to maternity on the day of discharge. The nurse makes sure that the seat is properly put together and that the straps are at the right level. We secure the baby in the seat while teaching the parents how to do it. Like I said we HAVE to bring the patient to the car. I've worked in med/surge here too and we HAD to bring those patients to their cars at discharge too. I usually don't let the mom carry the baby but I usually don't carry the baby either. Oh and we hardly ever wheel the mom out in a wheelchair, if she can't walk, maybe she shouldn't be going home.
#20 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackray View Post
Where I work, we HAVE to walk the patient to their car and make sure that the car seat is properly installed before they can go. You would be amazed at how many people do this completely wrong. I usually let the dad or another family member carry the baby in it's carseat. We rarely have babies who don't have bucket seats. We ask that the parents bring the bucket seat up to maternity on the day of discharge. The nurse makes sure that the seat is properly put together and that the straps are at the right level. We secure the baby in the seat while teaching the parents how to do it. Like I said we HAVE to bring the patient to the car. I've worked in med/surge here too and we HAD to bring those patients to their cars at discharge too. I usually don't let the mom carry the baby but I usually don't carry the baby either. Oh and we hardly ever wheel the mom out in a wheelchair, if she can't walk, maybe she shouldn't be going home.
Stephanie, what would happen if the mother was riding public transportation home? How would you handle that?
#21 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
Stephanie, what would happen if the mother was riding public transportation home? How would you handle that?
Excellent question, I'm wondering that myself .
#22 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 10:37 AM

I know there are laws that require them to be sure the babe goes into a carseat if you are getting in a car, but I've never seen one that requires the carseat be brought inside. That would be a hospital policy not a law. You are not obligated to follow hospital policy.

I had surgery 2 times this year and both times the hospital tried to force me to get in a wheel chair to go to my car. I have horrible motion sickness and riding in a wheel chair triggers it so I simply refused. I just stated that I would be walking and they were welcome to accompany if they wanted. They could even be pushing a wheelchair, but there was no way I was getting in it. I didn't argue, just stated the facts and did it. (I also insisted on walking into surgery instead of being wheeled on a gurney.) They can't hold you prisoner. So just tell them you will be carrying the baby and they can come with you to check the carseat if they want.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#23 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 10:37 AM

I walked and held the baby when I had a hospital birth. My husband brought the car seat up for them to look at.

When my mom had my sister, she walked home.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#24 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
We don't have public transportation here. So, I don't know what they would do at a hospital in a place that does have public transportation. Interesting. I think I might have to contact another hospital and find out. I have put people in cabs before though. They have to have carseats but it's OK if it's a borrowed one. And we don't allow people to walk home.
#25 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
We don't have public transportation here. So, I don't know what they would do at a hospital in a place that does have public transportation. Interesting. I think I might have to contact another hospital and find out. I have put people in cabs before though. They have to have carseats but it's OK if it's a borrowed one. And we don't allow people to walk home.
Well, that's interesting. What would happen if they chose to walk home? How do you "not allow" them to?
#26 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 11:33 AM

I've never had a problem with the patient not accepting that that they can't walk home. And I haven't heard of any of the other nurses having this problem. I guess we'd call social services and security if the patient was being "unreasonable" about this and figure out a way with the patient how they were going to get home. We wouldn't let the patient leave until they had a safe way to get home. I really don't think we have ever had this kind of situation though. We live in a strange place. It's a very small unique community. There aren't any side walks on the streets surrounding hospital so it would be unsafe to walk.

I live 0.2 miles away from the hospital and I wouldn't walk with my kids to the hospital.
#27 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
And we don't allow people to walk home.
Why on earth not??? If I lived a few minutes' walk from a hospital, I'd be more likely to just walk it instead getting a ride of any kind....That really boggles my mind there, how can one justify interferring with what someone does off hospital property? I can see not wanting someone to walk a few MILES with a new baby, but come on, a few blocks?? Is it really that big of an issue?

EDIT: Saw you responded before I did. I see your point, but still disagree with it to an extent, especially with calling SS or security.
#28 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 12:37 PM

I'm in NY and a nurse comes with you to the car to ensure the carseat is in place. They do ask mom to ride to the car (mom carries babe, nurse carries everything else!) since it's hospital policy. You can say no of course and they don't push it, but personally I liked the ride since I knew it would be my last chance to "relax" before my toddler took over.

There is public trans at this hospital (we have the hybrid buses too) and they ask that you have a carrier for a newborn (bucket or cloth) that will ensure your infant's relative safety on the bus.

ETA- actually, this hospital doens't allow anyone to "carry" a baby in the hallways. You can do what you like in your room but parents as well as staff need to either push the babe in the protable bassinet or carry them while riding in chair if they want to take the babe out into the hospital halls. I think one of the nurses said it was an insurance liability issue as well as a security issue (though they do have the baby lo-jack )

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#29 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
ETA- actually, this hospital doens't allow anyone to "carry" a baby in the hallways. You can do what you like in your room but parents as well as staff need to either push the babe in the protable bassinet or carry them while riding in chair if they want to take the babe out into the hospital halls. I think one of the nurses said it was an insurance liability issue as well as a security issue (though they do have the baby lo-jack )
Same thing here. No carrying the baby in the halls.

On my way out of the hospital, they wheeled me in a wheelchair while my husband pulled the car out front, and I had the baby in my arms.
#30 of 115 Old 10-03-2007, 01:04 PM

In both FL and LA I had to be in a wheelchair on the way out and it didn't bother me at all. In LA (Louisiana) they wanted to see the car seat in the room to make sure it was OK for baby. In FL they just wanted to see it in the car. Although we might have gotten a different answer here in FL if the IBCLC on staff hadn't taken us out to the truck. She had been enjoying chatting with a tandem/EN/CLW mom and knew I just wanted to get home so I could be comfortable.

Also when ds was readmitted to the same hospital at 1 month old due to breathing issues he had to be either held in while someone sat in a wheelchair or in the basinet while going for tests. It's a liability issue for the hospitals. I'm sure if I got motion sickness I could have refused. It's a really nice hospital where one of the nurses suggested I cosleep to keep ds comfortable in a strange place.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page