Why would it hurt to get an epidural? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 10-03-2007, 08:08 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have never had one....

but the i think for me. its the "IDEA" of a giant needle being "shoved" into you back is what gets me. ***shivers**

the brain is AMAZING. if you have an idea in your head ( true or not) you mind can play tricks KWIM?

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#32 of 59 Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
oh I had to come back and talk about a different intervention I almost forgot about that I had given to me by the mw's! sterile water blocks! those hurt WAY worse than the epi!!!! seriously. :
omg. I had this and, let me tell you, I wish I had known how much they hurt before I got them, I can't decide if it made my overall pain level worse, or if it just put me into some kind of momentary shock. I mean, seriously. holy sh*t.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#33 of 59 Old 10-03-2007, 08:13 PM

mine didn't hurt but it took WAY longer than 3 minutes. at least 20 minutes. omg it took for-ev-er. I thought it was never going to be over and I was so scared.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#34 of 59 Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheal View Post
It doesn't hurt as much as the mind makes it out to be. It does however cause problems (back wise) for some people like myself (scoliosis, I had the spinal). If not careful, you can end up with what's called a spinal headache (I had it, I think Epi is the same right?)

It's a massive headaches caused by blood seepage into the spinal fluid if the catheter isn't placed right or slips.
Spinal headaches are the worst! I had 2 spinals for a surgery 2 years ago and had a spinal headache for 2 weeks that took 2 epidural blood patches to fix.

With the few epidurals I have had, I never got the headache.

To me, anything in my back hurts. The epidural pain was worse that the spinal pain...think it has alot to do with cath insertion and nerve endings.
#35 of 59 Old 10-03-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom View Post
Well for me the reaction I got from the epidural was a pain, i'd rather have dealt with the contractions than the itching I got from it. That was totally unbearable and made me miserable. Then I think them taking off the tape was the absolute worst! I actually screamed when they did that, I never screamed during a contraction, lol.

I sometimes had a sharp pain in a certain radius around the insertion point for 5-6 months pp, esp while lifting more than 15lbs, ie DD
#36 of 59 Old 10-03-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
oh I had to come back and talk about a different intervention I almost forgot about that I had given to me by the mw's! sterile water blocks! those hurt WAY worse than the epi!!!! seriously. :
a what?

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#37 of 59 Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had one after 20 hours of active labor and have to say that I didn't feel a thing. Not a prick, nothing. That said, I was TERRIFIED of it and I think the sheer terror kept all pain away. The doc commented on how I need to sit perfectly still for 10 minutes or else I could have all sorts of side effects. I thought there was no way I could sit still for that long, since I'd be writhing in pain every 2 minutes! But, I think the fear took over and I literally felt nothing. In fact, at one point, I heard my mw say to the guy "she's having a contraction now so just be careful." At that moment, all the pain of the contraction hit. I just stopped and said to myself "stop it! You didn't feel anything until she said something so just dont' feel it." And the pain literally just stopped. Just like that. It was the weirdest thing. But like I said, the epidural itself was nothing. I also had a spinal tap when I was 16 (to test for meningitis) and I didn't feel anything then either. I actually twisted around during the procedure to watch my spinal fluid come out nice and clear! Now I cant' believe I dared move but at the time it didn't seem like a big deal!
#38 of 59 Old 10-03-2007, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
mine didn't hurt but it took WAY longer than 3 minutes. at least 20 minutes. omg it took for-ev-er. I thought it was never going to be over and I was so scared.
Mine, too. And my Anestesiologist was Mean. She yelled at me and was very rude the whole time while I cried and told her I was sorry my back was difficult. :

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#39 of 59 Old 10-03-2007, 09:50 PM

one word excrutiating
#40 of 59 Old 10-04-2007, 02:27 AM

DH does epidurals and spinals regularly for not only L&D, but for other surgeries where it might be appropriate anesthesia.

Neither are placed *without* a local anesthetic being used first if the patient in question is conscious.

I'm not even sure it would be remotely feasible to attempt placing the actual epidural or spinal needle properly *without* numbing with a local first. A person simply wouldn't be able to tolerate the procedure. It's not like a procedure where you could hold a person down to do it despite the pain because the precision required to actually get it in the right place is too great.

I had spinals with all of my c-sections. None were what I'd call pleasant, but none were horrible either. I was not in hard labor with any of them, neither myself nor any of my babies were in trouble at the moment necessitating quick action, and I had excellent OR nurses each time helping me stay in one position, all of which I'm sure had at least some effect on my experiences.

The worst part of my first and second sections....the IV placement before surgery. First time was AWFUL. Far and away the worst part of all of it, and on the top five list of most painful experiences I've had. They blew a vein and my arm was black and blue from elbow to wrist for days afterward. Second time was not quite as bad, but bad enough. Third time was a walk in the park, though I did spend quite a bit of time fretting over how awful it might be. The third one was the only one I had a local with prior to insertion. In hindsight, I should have had a local with all of them. Live and learn.
#41 of 59 Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826 View Post
Mine, too. And my Anestesiologist was Mean. She yelled at me and was very rude the whole time while I cried and told her I was sorry my back was difficult. :
that is so sad! if she didn't have a needle in my back i would have told her to %#*@ off...:

sorry mama!

#42 of 59 Old 10-04-2007, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Mine took all of 3 minutes. So even if I was having contractions and had to stay curled over, 3 minutes is no big deal, right?

I'm confused...

You have GOT to be kidding!!! 3 minutes is FOREVER to stay hunched over if you are having back labour. 30 seconds is a long time. It was beyond horrible. The abolute worst part of labour. I had the OB/GYN and 2 nurses holding me down hunched over so they coudl get it in. Dont' know why they coudln't wait til I wasn't having a contraction, altho they were pretty much right on top of eahc other, I guess.

Anyhow, you must be joking. Either that or you've never been in hard labour or had back labour. The contractions are simply unbearable if you can't sit up, and move around as you need to. Hucnhing over or being on my back were the 2 WORST positions for contractions.

it was the only time during the whole thing whre I actually lost it and coudln't breather thru it or deal with it. I think it was the only time I cried during labour. I actually COULDN'T stay hunched over. As I said, the dr. had to hold me down.

yeah, no big deal..
#43 of 59 Old 10-04-2007, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know why some people feel the need to respond with snark when I just asked a question. Isn't it better that I ask questions and understand rather than go around spouting misinformation because my experience was different?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#44 of 59 Old 10-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
the IV placement before surgery. First time was AWFUL. Far and away the worst part of all of it, and on the top five list of most painful experiences I've had. They blew a vein and my arm was black and blue from elbow to wrist for days afterward.
THIS! Now THIS happened to me too (I called myself "mommy the junkie" after the birth because of how disgusting my arm looked), and OMG, it was 50 times worse than the epidural. I literally screamed. I still have nerve pain in that arm.

I did find it scary to have to stay still for the epi, but they waited till I was between contractions.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#45 of 59 Old 10-04-2007, 11:19 AM

Am I the only one who had extreme pressure (along with pain), that felt like they were trying to snap my spine? The first time, I was having so much back labor pain, I didn't feel it at all. The second & third time, the pressure and pain were almost unbearable.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#46 of 59 Old 10-04-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I don't know why some people feel the need to respond with snark when I just asked a question. Isn't it better that I ask questions and understand rather than go around spouting misinformation because my experience was different?

And you Don't see your tone in the part I quoted? I did. Sorry If I misunderstood.
#47 of 59 Old 10-04-2007, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcat View Post
And you Don't see your tone in the part I quoted? I did. Sorry If I misunderstood.
I'm sorry if you saw a mean tone in my OP because of your past experiences, but I was simply asking a question and trying to explain why I was confused due to MY experience. I never once said that everyone had the same experience as me, or that there is never pain involved in getting an epi. MY experience was differerent, leading to a bit of confusion, so I asked.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#48 of 59 Old 10-04-2007, 02:40 PM

They used a numbing injecton first for the skin and then did the epi, i dont remember any pain, but my contractions hurt to much to notice a needle.
#49 of 59 Old 10-04-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry if you saw a mean tone in my OP because of your past experiences, but I was simply asking a question and trying to explain why I was confused due to MY experience. I never once said that everyone had the same experience as me, or that there is never pain involved in getting an epi. MY experience was differerent, leading to a bit of confusion, so I asked.

You said it wasn't a big deal for anyone to stay hunched over while having contractions. You said if people had a different experience than you, (having contractions) is still wasn't a big deal. YOu put a quesiton amrk, but it wasn't really a question. If you had said "Is it really hard to stay curled over while having contractions" thar woudl be ok. Saying "it's no big deal right?" isn't.

I am sorry for jumping on you so hard since apaprently you didn't mean it the way you said it.
#50 of 59 Old 10-04-2007, 03:15 PM

Just a friendly reminder to avoid future issues:

Quote:

Do not post to a thread to take direct issue with a member. If you feel a member has posted or behaved inappropriately in a discussion, communicate directly with the member, moderator or administrator privately and refrain from potentially defaming discussion in a thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Hi, everyone In an effort to stay within the MDC User Agreement, let's focus on the original post and avoid personally directed comments.

Thanks

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#51 of 59 Old 10-04-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826 View Post
That's awful. In my opinion, part of the anesthesiologist's job is to help with your pain in all ways -- meaning to be gentle, and a source of comfort emotionally as well, not just fill you up with meds. I'm sorry that you had that experience.
#52 of 59 Old 10-06-2007, 05:35 AM

We all feel pain differently. I dont find labour particularly painful at all, but I do find pushing painful.

I have no problem with IVs being inserted (never needed one for labour or birth, but have for other reasons) but the use of a tiny bit of local is overwhelmingly painful. I opt to have no local at all and barely flinch even for a large bore IV catheter.

I enjoy blood tests - I actually find the piercing of the skin to be ticklish. Other women HATE HATE HATE them. Some women dont flinch for an epidural, others do. We are all different.
#53 of 59 Old 10-06-2007, 07:02 PM

I've only heard second-hand experiences, so I'll try to relay that the best I can.
My friend who had an epidural said that it didn't hurt after they put the local anesthetic in.
Then another one that I know of, said that it hurt like hell. *shrugs*
Something I try to remember is that pain tolerance for different areas of the body is different for everyone.

For example, I'm due any day now...and I plan on avoiding the epidural (or any intervention for that matter). I think my main issue isn't the thought of the needle in my spine, I've had plenty of needles in plenty of places for many years of my life. My issue is that I think being confined to a bed would send me into a panic attack. However, I also made sure that the O/B knows that while I intend to avoid all these things (including C-section) things do go wrong in birth and if they have a damn good reason for anything they need to do, I'm for it.

What can I say? I'm one of those easy-going peoples...

Single Mommy to DS born Halloween 2007.
#54 of 59 Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 PM

I have had two epidurals while in active labor and it did not hurt at all. Probably because I was already in a lot of pain when I got them. I remember them using a small syringe of something to numb the area first and then they put the big needle in. Both times it worked well within minutes and no complications. With dd2's birth I was lying on my side and I did start to feel it going up instead of down, but I just sat up and it was fine after that. I didn't want to tell the nurse about it until I waited to see if it got better b/c I was afraid they would do more medical intervention that was not necessary. I also pushed well with both girls and the epidural did not affect that. I am not promoting the use of epidurals but I just wanted to share my experiences.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#55 of 59 Old 10-06-2007, 10:36 PM

Getting the local burned like freaking hell. i don't think it worked every well because it hurt every time they tried to put it in. It took them many, many times because I have scoliosis. It hurt being in a very unnatural position and holding still during contractions.

It was the worst experience. Not to mention, all the things that happenedduring and after the epidural.

I will never have one again. Even though my second labour hurt so much more, I dind't have the smallest desire even for an epidural.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#56 of 59 Old 10-07-2007, 12:42 AM

I had one with my first child (before I was really educated on the risks and learned that there were other ways of dealing with labor). I had to be hunched over for about 20 minutes because the anesthesiologist kept missing and hitting a blood vessel. He was covered in blood spurts when he was done. Have these tremendous powerful contractions in that hunched position was SOOOOO painful. They kept yelling at me to stay still and I just couldn't. No wonder why they anesth. kept missing. It is a wonder I'm walking today, LOL!

Ellen
wife to G., Homeschooling mom to ds13, ds11, dd7
Bradley® Certified Childbirth educator
#57 of 59 Old 10-07-2007, 01:19 AM

I've seen a lot of epidurals in 7 years as an L&D nurse. Bottom line, it totally depends on the technique and skill of the person administering it. If they are not careful with the initial "local" and make sure that the area is numb before they start the insertion, it can hurt like an @#$)_*($#. Also, if they inject the "local" too quickly, it can be quite painful also.
#58 of 59 Old 10-07-2007, 01:23 AM

I've had two c-sections both with an epidural.

Both times it took THREE TRIES before it actually got in. Each one stung like hell!! And both times it took around 20 minutes. It was AWFUL!

Definitely the worst part of the c-section. Recovery was a breeze compared to getting the epidurals!

I'm quite sure I had horrendous anesthesiologists, though. My bad luck, perhaps?
#59 of 59 Old 10-07-2007, 01:36 PM

Without any commentary on pros/cons....

Mine didn't hurt, at all. The local stang a bit, the insertion was painless. Even the stinging bit was so minor compared to the contrax that I barely noticed.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page