Anyone taking toradol for afterpains? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-04-2007, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what side effects you have had from it? It has been 8 years since I had my "medical" birth, (2 natural since) and I am having some side effects. Edema, pain, heart burn, general crappiness and exhaustion, DH says I look very pale.

DH is convinced it is the Toradol. The doctor said I can discontinue it any time, but I have been in a lot of pain, so I have kept with it (and Vicuprophen). I had a lot of interventions and he warned me I would have more pain that I am used to so I should not be afraid to take the meds (He knows me!

What is your experience?

(I am switching to Ibuprophen today.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-04-2007, 01:44 PM

In my experience the toradol is VERY hard on the guts. Your heartburn could well be due to that. It also causes me terrible fatigue to the point of falling asleep. Now the other stuff you mention (edema, pain) I haven't experienced from it (and I've taken it numerous times including after childbirth). Most recently I used it for pain following a laparoscopy/D&C and it helped give me an ulcer.

I stayed on it until I could handle the pain, but really wish I would have taken it with zantac to protect my stomach.

If you had a really rough birth the general crappy/exhausted/edema/pain could well be due to that too.

How far postpartum are you?
#3 of 8 Old 10-04-2007, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
How far postpartum are you?
Thanks for the reply.

I am only a week today. I am unsure if the symptoms are due to the birth experience or to the drugs. My last 2 births were natural. By a week out I was no where NEAR this! I remember wanting to get out of the house, etc.

The swelling is the worst, but I did have fluid (but only 2 bags total) and a one-dose epidural. 10 ccs of pit IM and one more dose IV. I know pit causes swelling.

Of course, I read all the side effects on-line. That is how I linked the heartburn to the toradol. Plus I can usually eat anything I want once the baby is out.
#4 of 8 Old 10-04-2007, 05:45 PM

I'll bet it does have to do with the delivery. All of those (IV, epi, pit) will cause swelling and you'll feel icky even just while your body tries to rid itself of all that junk.

Drink plenty, eat lots of salt (salt to taste) and lots of raw veggies. Those should help your body get rid of the bad stuff (toradol included).
#5 of 8 Old 10-06-2007, 05:32 AM

Try drinking one glass of real pineapple juice twice a day for afterpains. 99.9% effective. We use it in the birth unit I work in and I have used it for all 7 of my babies. Fantastic and pleasant to take. No side effects.
#6 of 8 Old 10-06-2007, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Also, try a liquid cal/mag supplement for after pains. It's really useful!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#7 of 8 Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thank you!

BTW I have been off of it for a few days and the swelling is going down a lot!
#8 of 8 Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 PM

I used a combo of Mountain Meadow herbs after pain relief and tylenol and advil when it got really bad.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page