Mothering Forum banner

Shoulder Dystocia in Subsequent Pregnancies

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  mandib50 
#1 ·
Overall I had a pretty good birth with my first beastie. The last bit of it was scary and had the potential to be horrible. Honestly, I think that I've mostly blocked it out up until I've recently been faced with the reality of another birth coming up. Bear had to be resuscitated. He had a heartbeat but wasn't breathing, with an apgar of 2. It was awful. My midwife told me afterwards that at some point I'd have to deal with it, and I think its now.

Soo, the rational part of my brain says that I am safer at home. I do NOT want to go to the hospital, particularly the one here. I don't want to go to the birthing center. I don't think that the baby or I would be safer there. But I'm still a bit freaked. I've found one study that says that prior dystocia is the greatest predictor, its got a strong p value but its a very small sample size, so that doesn't mean that much. And its from an obstetrical journal.
Does anyone have any other information, words of wisdom/comfort, etc? I'm worried that this baby will be even bigger (Bear was 10 lbs, 2 oz and has shoulders like a line backer) and that we won't get lucky this time and pull them back from the brink. Not rational, I know, but if I was ever allowed to be irrational its now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dear, I feel for you. I don't know what any of the medical studies say, but I don't really take most statistics seriously anyway. For your sake, you really need to take a stroll through your soul. Listen to your heart. I think you have come to answers already, you just need to take a deep breath and believe.

I know this isn't much comfort.... I was terrified with all 3 of mine... but it worked out fine with both my homebirths once I settled into myself. I had shoulder dystocia with my 3rd and cords around the necks with all... but my midwife was there for me. I, myself, am not worried about the shoulder dystocia again or the other myriad things that could go wrong.

Follow your senses, where ever they lead.

Peace.

#3 ·
I agree..follow your senses...

I had dystocia with my first and was terrified to have it again.....esp as labor loomed near....dd1 was such a difficult delivery and recovery (emotionally)....she has my linebacker shoulers!!!

This labor flew by (a couple of hours), baby turned on her own and I practically laughed her out......I believe that its bc she was smaller, turned from posterier before delivery, I was practically sitting up with a foot in a doula hand and a foot in Dp's hand and knew how to push this time and not full of epidural so I couldn't feel anything....I had more confidence in myself and birth itself for that matter...so I handled things better. I knew what to expect and knew what unexpected could happen....or not happen and it helped immensly.....all that previous knowledge...whether it would be used or not, I didn't know....My labor went so fast I really didnt think about much but how to relax...looking back, I wish I would've stayed at home but part of me still had that WHAT IF that wanted me in the hospital so off we drove....with her almost coming in the car....Got up to my room, MW was there to check in and say hello and a short time later, baby dropped and out she came into daddy's hands....could've done that at home....

I did go and have a late US at around 36wks for what that's worth....it guessed her at 6lbs 2 ounces and she was 7lbs 2 ounces....a pound either way they say....Her sister was a bit over 9 when she was born....

Many blessings for a wonderful pregnancy and a healing and fantastic birth!!!!

#4 ·
What the research shows is that there are no predictors for shoulder dystocia... INCLUDING a previous one.
s Good luck, mama!

Also, a hospital would handle a shoulder dystocia the same way as your midwife would at a home birth.

#6 ·
I know how you feel, mine was 9 14 and stuck for a bit. I'm sure this one will be bigger, but when I started looking at the situation of my delivery, I understood that the interventions- induction, bad pushing position, not moving around a lot, not repositioning for dystocia....etc.... were the biggest factors-not size.
My midwife says that position has a much bigger impact on dystocia than size. I also wonder if subsequent dystocias are often caused because after one they often will induce sooner for a smaller baby, which leads to constant monitoring, no moving, epidural, and pushing on your back....all of which can cause bad positioning, leading to a dystocia....... To ease your concerns ask your midwife about her neonatal resucitation abilities and your concerns. It will be good to talk with her about it anyways, and maybe she can help you through some of your worries. The first is usually the hardest delivery too,
Just follow your heart, and good luck.

#7 ·
Thanks for the support, ya'll, I appreciate it.

I know my midwife's abilities, I'm lucky enough to be getting Bear's mw back despite her semi-retirement. She is so one of my favorite people.
She knew just what to do the first time and had me stand up and grab the four poster bed to get him out. So I *know* that she knows what to do.

I think it comes down to me trusting my body and accepting the fact that I cannot control everything, no matter how hard I try.

Its interesting the midwife's perspectives on position versus the ob/gyn research that I read that said that size and previous dystocia were the biggest predictors. Its a little scary how different the viewpoints are in so many areas.

#9 ·
that must have been very scary for you! no wonder you're freaked.

my 3rd had sticky shoulders (homebirth), granted not the same as SD, but i worried abit about it with my 4th (he was the same size, but no problem).

i would talk alot about it with your midwife and how she would handle that at home. i would ask her about other SD's that she's handled too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.