Has anyone tested GBS+, treated, and then re-tested negative? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2007, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard you can try garlic, hibiclens, etc. if you test positive to erradicate the colonization.

Has anyone done this? Did it work? What did you use?

I'm looking for anecdotes as I have yet to hear of someone who has been confirmed by testing and then confirmed negative by re-testing.

TIA!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 12:29 AM

I've heard of the garlic remedy, but I also have heard that naturally you can test positive and then negative at different times throughout pregnancy.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:07 AM

Were you tested by urine analysis or by a vag culture?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wife to DH 6 yr, Mom to Mono 6/07, Mi'ha 12/09, La & Ta 1/12. Yah!

CDing, noVaxing, tandom BFing & BWing, coSleeping, minimalist in training 388/2012, mama
Old 10-15-2007, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

I tested negative in my pregnancy. I was wondering because I hear so many women talking about treating and possibly retesting but have never heard anyone actually say they did it and it worked.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well, we know that GBS sometimes appears in high colonization and then can be reduced greatly or even disappear.

I've heard of many incidences where this has happened with a wide variety of treatments. GBS is something that, like any presence of bacteria, can be affected by antibiotics, antibacterial treatments, etc.

I think one of the best treatments - and definitely the safest and least offensive - is probiotics.

It doesn't hurt to re-test, but there has to be the same treatments applied for a specific time in order for it to work all through labor and birth.

Overall, there are some good studies on various treatments, but nothing solid. We know that even antibiotics - oral or intravenous - do not completely rule out GBS presence.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:39 PM

Well, I tested positive early in my pregnancy. I wanted to be retested at the time your normally tested for gbs, I think that was around 35-37 weeks. I was still positive(I was taking probiotics and trying to get in more plain yogurt in my diet.) I asked my nursemidwife for alternative treatment ideas. I have a history of quick labors and didn't think I would make it to the hospital in time for the recommended antibiotics. Besides the fact who wants to be hooked up to an iv during labor. So she recommended the garlic treatment and then I would be retested after 8 days. So everynight I slept with a piece of garlic inserted vaginally. After the 8 days I was retested. Unfortunately, for me it didn't change, and I was still gbs pos. That was disappointing! I would be curious to hear from someone who did it and it worked. (On a side note I was also eating the a piece form the bulb raw during that 8 days)
Old 10-16-2007, 04:02 PM

I tried garlic, probiotics, vitamin C, cranberry... unfortunately I still tested positive after treating myself for a few weeks. Luckily my water did not break until about 15 minutes before birth, so opportunity for exposure was very limited.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:54 PM

I'm doing the hibiclens thing this time because I'm determined to test - (was + last time, having a HB this time but afraid of transferring and being treated like a super-colonised + patient, just because). I'm taking probiotics and vit c every day and hoping that will help, but I think strep is a tough little bug and needs real antiseptics--garlic and yogurt are probably not strong enough, I fear, and I really need to be -.

Unlike abx, btw, hibiclens doesn't kill the good bacteria that you and baby need. It's a local disinfectant, not systemic.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 10-17-2007, 06:34 PM

I was diagnosed GBS postive without the vag. culture. I had a few UTI's throughout my pregnancy and they were all showed GBS+. I just went aheah with the ABX when I went in labor. I had one UTI that caused problems at 19.5 weeks so I was okay with it.

I've seen people go from positive to negative though. But usually with a urine culture then the other swab. I have also know women that were positive for one pregnancy and negative with the next or vice versa.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:04 AM

I was negative for my first birth and positive for my second.

For my third I tested positive at 32 weeks and negative at 37.

This is what I did:
garlic cloves inserted vaginally
Chinese herbal medicine
probiotics

One important point: The first test was taken by my homebirth midwives. They had me swab vaginally and then anally. The second test was done by the midwivery office of my back-up hospital. They only had me swab vaginally. Personally I think this was probably the difference. i.e. I was colonized anally but not vaginally.

Teacher, Mother of 4
Old 10-18-2007, 05:55 PM

Of course this whole retesting thing is part of my issue with the GBS protocols. Since GBS status can change (even w/out treatment) why is it that once you test negative for GBS you'll be assumed negative at birth, but once you test positive you're assumed positive at birth unless you can prove otherwise with the almighty negative test result. It : me quite a bit.

Definitely one of those things I wonder about with this pregnancy. Was positive last time, but had an "elective" c/s so I don't think they actually did anything (although they did give my ds the eye goop) since my water wasn't broken until the surgeon got in there and ds was removed through an incision in my belly...

User Tag List